Calling all natural 4a/4bs how straight can you get with a flat iron?

Sugarhoney

ALSO, how do you guys know if you are burning your hair WHILE you are pressing it? ive read in other threads that their hair smelt as if something was burning. well i got that too however my test areas reverted easily in the shower and i imagine the burning smell was due to the products that i applied to my hair rather than my actual hair burning... i have since pressed all of my hair... besides my crappy ends, my hair looks and feels fine :/ any advice would be great :D

Try rollersetting and putting castor oil on the ends first. My ends come out smoother when I rollerset instead of blow dry. I get the finger-in-the-socket ends when I blow it out. :laugh:

kinkylyfe

I tried a co-workers Chi only on my edges and my hair became REALLY straight & silky but my hair around the edges are a 4a. What should I use for the mid section of my hair which is 4b? I have the maxiglide but the very end of my hair (approx 1") does not get straight at all (section 4b)!!!
Im thinking the FHI or Sedu---

Bumping for NATURALS ONLY! :grin:

anon123

The last time I flat ironed my hair, this is all I got!

That was several years ago.

anon123

Cute hairstyle!

How many times did you flatiron over each section and how hot was the iron?

ETA: Did you stretch your hair before you flatironed it?

It was a long time ago, so I don't remember much. I'm sure I blowdried it beforehand, so it was somewhat stretched. And I do know that I was trying to get it pretty straight, so I know I went over each section more than once. Knowing me, I did not turn the setting on highest. I rarely use appliances on their highest setting (it's this weird psych thing I have). Knowing me, if it had a scale from 1-10 (which I think it did), I would have put it on 7 or 8.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i get it bone straight but i used some grease so it wasnt flowy. it just hung there. the edges i got them at straight as i could which wasnt that straight. i found my pressing comb and now that i know how to use it i will use that on my edges. im not straightening until i reach apl but i will keep in mind some of these tips

kellie7777

I tried a co-workers Chi only on my edges and my hair became REALLY straight & silky but my hair around the edges are a 4a. What should I use for the mid section of my hair which is 4b? I have the maxiglide but the very end of my hair (approx 1") does not get straight at all (section 4b)!!!
Im thinking the FHI or Sedu---

Bumping for NATURALS ONLY! :grin:

Don't bother with the SEDU. i got a sedu and i get the same results my ends don't want to go straight. and my ends aren't split or anything. i am thinking it must be the techniques. i tried blowdrying first/then no blow drying. (at the salon no prob, but i don't have a blk salon to visit, that's 4 hrs away) i am thinking of trying roller setting first like another poster suggested with castor oil and see if that might help. but i need to get me some big magnetic rollers.

Maynard

It doesnt matter what kind of iron you use. Its the technique. Please dont waste your money buying 50-11 irons, when all you need to master is the proper technique.

ryanshope

I have only straightened once and I agree with the posters that TECHNIQUE is the trick. I didn't blow dry( I air dried) and I used a regular heat protectant(CHI or Biosilk) on my hair. I have found that if you have "rough" ends--try using porosity treatments. That really helped me with raggedy ends the last time I straightened( I a small section in the front and on the sides for GP).

Castor oil is great for pressing/straightening natural hair too....just be lighthanded about it.