Calling all Silver Foxes

WheelerB

Hello, Hello.

Thought I would start this thread because it's so hard to find women with beautiful grey/gray hair who are ready to "rock it"

Yes, I tried in the past to cover it, but my hair is very resistant to taking color and I was not about to have to sport white roots forever. Too much time, too much effort and too much money. Then try to couple color with creamy crack. Forget it!

So, I decided to accept me, accept my gray and accept my natural hair. After all, I was born with this texture, so it's about time I learn to love it. And I began, not only a journey to natural hair, but also a much-needed acceptance of my silvers.

I know there are other women out there who are looking for a place to celebrate being a Silver Fox and I hope this thread is where you can feel at home.

So, my fellow Silver Foxes, lets SHOW and GROW together!!

What are your special grey/gray hair challenges?

How do you style your hair?

What do you love about your grey/gray hair?

Please share your photos! :yep:

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 118

temfash

I'll bite, I'm not quite a silver fox yet, but I've decided to let my gray hair shine I have about 10/20 % grey mainly concentrated in the front section of my head. I find that my gray hair is the area that I find harder to retain length so I concentrate on treating that area more delicately than all the other areas of my head. The past year I have been mainly in extension protective styles (kinky twists,braids,crotchet braids) but from 2013 I'm going to try protective styles with no extensions for the whole year. The first and second pics were when I was experimenting with henna.

Attachments

• grey3.jpg
    grey3.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 77
  • grey 2.jpg
    grey 2.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 70
  • grey hair.jpg
    grey hair.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

WheelerB

Thanks wavezncurlz for the grey hair link. I thought I had seen it, but not sure where.
Thanks temfash for your comments. Once my greys came in (they started when I was about 40 or so and under a lot of stress), I decided 'it is what it is", and I'm learning to embrace it. Goodness knows, I don't need another stressor in my life trying to keep the roots dark.

As far as growth is concerned, it is growing. I've never had long hair, so I'm bound and determined it will happen for me now. But then, I never really ate right, exercised or took care of my hair properly either.

So now, I know what to do and I'm doing it (at least better, anyway). We'll see how Ziggy does and how far she goes.

KPH

House Head
I have tried to rock mine but it comes in stupid. Left and right side parts, temples and nape of neck

Last edited:

firecracker

I wish I had a head full of silver! I've wanted it for over 35 years. My grandmother and Aunt were Silverfoxes. My mom has pretty salt but tad more pepper than her mom. Her hair is still beautiful. I'm stuck with a tiny streak in the front and a few strands around the edges. Don't cover that beautiful head of hair woman.

Tangles

Hello I'm a soon to be Silver Fox... Decided to embrace my graying hair. Previously I would've said my challenge with my grays was trying to cover them but now I'm just letting them come in and take their rightful place on my head :grin: I style my hair in many different styles when I'm not in braids...buns, two-strand twists, twist outs, puffs, mini braids. I recently found some lightly grayed braiding hair that was so pretty I couldn't resist buying it. It's lightly sprinkled with gray. I tried to take the best pic I could of my braids (self installed so not the best job).

My gray hair is sooo strong. I can't wait to grow out this henna and black rinse I've been applying...I have serious plans for my head when my grays are completely grown in.

Last edited:

Coffee

I'm kinda a SF, but due to the henna treatments I'm a reddish fox. Not trying to hide anything, I like how the henna conditions my hair.

Dilettante

Nothing to add. Just wanted to say that I think gray hair is beautiful and particularly so on black people. I just think the contrast of silvery strands against brown skin looks great.

WheelerB

KPH...it will fill in in time.
firecracker..Your hair in beautiful now and I'm sure even more so as it matures. Don't worry, I won't be coloring..only to do what I need to do to bring out the silver shine. I think they say....peroxide rinse? Haven't tried it yet.
Tangles...where did you find the hair? I'm doing a growth challenge right now and might like to braid up as a protective style.
Coffee...never tried the henna. Heard about it. but just can't give up my silvers right now. So glad it works for you.
Dilettante...thanks for the comments

Thank you all for participating in my thread.

As I was taking down my over-night, oiled-down pre pooed this morning getting ready for my DC. Realized that I have a Big 'Ol Fro. Didn't realize it was this long. Thought I'd share. If I can get these pics uploaded ok.

Okay. So the upload didn't work. I'll get them up somehow.

WheelerB

KPH...it will fill in in time.
firecracker..Your hair in beautiful now and I'm sure even more so as it matures. Don't worry, I won't be coloring..only to do what I need to do to bring out the silver shine. I think they say....peroxide rinse? Haven't tried it yet.
Tangles...where did you find the hair? I'm doing a growth challenge right now and might like to braid up as a protective style.
Coffee...never tried the henna. Heard about it. but just can't give up my silvers right now. So glad it works for you.
Dilettante...thanks for the comments

As I was taking down my over-night, oiled-down pre pooed this morning getting ready for my DC. Realized that I have a Big 'Ol Fro. Didn't realize it was this long. Thought I'd share. If I can get these pics uploaded ok.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict

Attachments

• 21703_3819443659288_1814700517_n.jpg
    21703_3819443659288_1814700517_n.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 560484_3595398098289_177766499_n.jpg
    560484_3595398098289_177766499_n.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 56

Tangles

@KPH...it will fill in in time.
@firecracker..Your hair in beautiful now and I'm sure even more so as it matures. Don't worry, I won't be coloring..only to do what I need to do to bring out the silver shine. I think they say....peroxide rinse? Haven't tried it yet.
@Tangles...where did you find the hair? I'm doing a growth challenge right now and might like to braid up as a protective style.
@Coffee...never tried the henna. Heard about it. but just can't give up my silvers right now. So glad it works for you.
@Dilettante...thanks for the comments

Ok, I had this great response type out and poof! it was gone:ohwell:. Anyway @WheelerB, I found the hair at a BSS, the Brand is Janet Collection #34. It felt strange when I first touched it (like am I really adding gray to my hair:crying3:), but I love it. I plan to experiment with some crochet braids using this hair and I will definitely post some pics good or bad.

ETA: The #34 is what I would call sprinkled with gray, there's equal amounts of gray and black...I will try to take a pic of it, hopefully the color will show well enough to see. I do know that there are brands that have more gray than black, but since I'm growing out henna, indigo, and black rinses, I figured it would look better with the lightly gray one.

Last edited:

WheelerB

wavezncurlz.....your mom's hair is gorgeous, and looks like she sports it.
Tangels....thanks for the info. I'll check it out at my local BSS

Tried to upload some recent pics, but keep hitting an error. Maybe we are only allowed a few photos. Don't know. Anyway, I discovered I have a nice sized fro and that's what I rolled with today. Didn't realize I had attained enough length. So apparently, grey does grow.
Thank you ladies for your participation.

WheelerB

If this signature worked, you'll see my fro.

It worked. Yea!

:look: Started a new blog page. Come travel with me.

Diva_Esq

I am getting more and more gray. I am only 37 and people think they are being helpful by suggesting dyes. But it's mine and I am keeping it!!

WheelerB

Tangles...Thanks, girl. I need to brighten it. I'm going to try a peroxide rinse.

diva....I don't blame you. I know some very beautiful women who are prematurely gray. Once you start with the dye, in my opinion, it's something to keep up.