Transitioners Club

Peachtree

Re: \"T\" Club

Best wishes to ya' lee

DDHair

Re: \"T\" Club

I have been transitioning for 8 months this month. I just started drinking protein smoothies yesterday, I am hoping for at least 4-5 inches of growth, especially before I cut my relaxed ends. I am using a ton of products biotin in them and I usually wash once a week with a 3-day conditioning, except when in braids, like now, I just spray or apply some type of leave-in.

Jubilee

My last relaxer was in September 2003. I'm going to transition for about four to six months this time and then do a big chop.

sweettrini

OK!! That's it!! I'm in!! I have been transitioning since June 2003 (last relaxer June 14th) and it's been OK for me. I am having a hard time with styling and keeping my new growth moisturized. My hair is about chin length and I have about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of new growth on my 3c/4a hair. What styles are you ladies using daily??? I am so tired of the bun. Also hairlove and peachtree(and anyone else who uses Carol's Daughter HHB), I recently bought the HHB but found it left my hair feeling kind of waxy. Does it do the same to you or did I use too much?? Does anyone use CD's Hair Milk?? Glad to be transitioning though. I love feeling the coils in my new growth. Can't wait to be rid of the relaxer although I'm too chicken to do the big chop!!

inthepink

sweettrini,

I don't get a waxy feeling at all form using the healthy hair butter. Could it be something else on your hair that could be causing that?

I mostly wear my hair pinned up in the back. Unfortunately, I feel limited due to some breakage in various areas.

pookeylou

I cant remember if I signed onto this before or not...

Here is my routine:

http://public.fotki.com/Pookeylou/

PSWD: In Transition

I just added a few more pics.

Loving the journey...it has not been a traumatic moment at all through the process...I really believe I can at least make it a year before I cut out the last of the perm.

sweettrini

Hairlove,

I just bought it like 3 days ago from the retail Carol's Daughter store. My jar is eggshell white and very thick. I washed and conditioned my hair and then parted it and rubbed a finger tip amount of HHB along the part and into my new growth. When my hair dried the new growth curls were very defined but felt a little waxy. Maybe I put too much, you think??

inthepink

sweettrini,

Yes, I would guess that maybe you used too much? I wouldn't give up - next time try less and see how you like it. I have the eggshell white concoction, too. I like this one better than my previous 2 jars that were yellow and watery. I wonder if it has to do with the jar size.

sweettrini

I remembered reading your post on the different color and consistency and so when I was in the store, I opened up all the sizes of the jars on display. (yeah, the guy who was at the register looked at me as if I was cuckoo
) They were all the same (eggshell white and creamy) so I guess maybe they changed the formula recently.

inthepink

sweettrini,

I hope that's the case b/c I'll be disappointed if I get the watery/chunky/yellow kind again! Thanks for the info!

toyagurl

I'm in the club. I'm new to the board It has been approximately 4 weeks since my last relaxer. I looked at my roots about 5 days ago (the three week mark) and measured over an inch of new growth. I gotta go natural because my hair is growing but the relaxer damages it and I won't ever achieve my childhood length with the relaxer. It will give me more style options. I am a 4a.

toyagurl

thanx hairlove. You have really beautiful hair. I am just beginning this and I do not know whan I should make the famously quoted "big chop" I do not intend to for a looooooooong time but when are you going to do yours?

inthepink

toyagurl,

Thanks for the compliment. I don't plan on doing the big chop. Right now, I am so close to waist length that it doesn't make sense to chop my hair when that's been a goal for so long. I may as well try to get there now and worry about cutting my hair later.

Once I reach waist length, I'll get gradual trims till it's gone. The absolute earlies that I think I will cut off the relaxed ends is 2 years but I can see it being 3 years, too. Ideally, I want my natural hair to be shoulder-length curly before I even consider chopping.

toyagurl

I'm going to grow my hair out for two years before I cut my hair. I have a yahoo photo account already active but I do not know how to link it. I just cut my hair the other day and its the same length as in the last photo. I'll be posting more once I re-install my digital camera.

Nx2brat

Congrats on your decision to transition Toyagurl. I'm sure you'll have a vast variety of styling option with your natural hair.

alibi

hair bored
Hey everyone!!! I'm officially in too, it's been 4 months since my last relaxer! But I must say that I'm struggling a bit right now. I'm trying to find the best product to moisturize my new growth. I'm 3c/4a (I think), and my hair is about 5 inches above bra strap. I'm WAY TOO CHICKEN
to do the big chop, so I gotta figure out how to keep the new growth moisturized. Any suggestions?

Lee

Currently I'm using this shea butter mixture I created. Which is unrefined shea butter, proclaim natural 7 oil, glycerin and Pantene S&S conditioner. I kept experimenting with the texture until I got to a smooth consistency. It moisturizes my new growth very well. Maybe you can also create your own mixtures to your liking. Good Luck!

DDHair

Re: Transitioners Club/Big Chop

I just got my hair straightened today at a natural salon, I don't completely like it because my roots are not completely straight, it doesn't have sheen, but it does have body, and it's dry, I am waiting to put oil on it, because I am going to let my regular beautician flat iron it again for me today. I am going through all of this because I have something I need to do this evening that I just found about yesterday, so I took my crochet braids down (that I wanted to keep until the end of the month) and got my hair straightened. Anyway, I probably need a trim, but my hair is sitting on my shoulders and I have a few strands that need to be clipped that are a little past the shoulders, but I am holding on for dear life due to my obsession. I have been transitioning for what will be 8 months this month, and I thought the whole process was going well, I moisturize with curl products, my sprays, and conditioners, with biotin, but the stylist was telling me that the hair that hasn't snapped off has broken off (I knew that, because you get a lot of tangles with natural hair, that sometimes snap, and I had a broken spot on the left side since April, it's not breaking anymore, but it is shorter than the left side). She also told me that the small portion of perm left is either starting or is going to work it's way up to the natural hair and cause splitting. Now my hair does not look damage to me and I still don't plan on cutting it until I completely reach a year (because so much of my perm has grown off until now), but listening to people who know about hair and who have transitioned may be wise for me. My best friend and another friend transitioned with braids for about a year to 2 years, my best friend told me last week, to not get so caught up in the length, because there will be a lot that will need to be cut beyond the perm. I am still going to try to grow my hair as close to bra-strap length as I can before cutting it, but do you guys think it is necessary to wait too long to cut our permed ends or will it end up hurting us in the longrun? Give me your opinions, because it might help me decide on a cutting date? Has anyone recently done the big chop? What was your experience?

inthepink

ayanapooh,

I use Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter to moisturize my new growth. I love it!

silvergirl

I guess Im in the club too, I transitioning for the first time in my life. I ve had a relaxer since i was 7. Im currently 5 months in.

Peachtree

Best wishes Silvergirl

I'm transitioning for the first time also (& I believe hairlove is too) so u have company chicky

Do u have any pics to share?

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"

I agree with your friend.. at the beginning, don't worry about the lenghth too much, it'll come