Transitioners Club

BlkMane

Who are the transitioners on the board? Would you mind 'signing' in here?

Transitioners = Ladies who are currently relaxed,
but are growing out the relaxers with the intent of going completely natural.

I haven't touched up my hair since early December and I'm seriously thinking of "returning to my roots." /images/graemlins/smile.gif I only started relaxing (mildly) last summer, but I really miss my "all-natural" hair.

What are your transitioning routines? How long have you been transitioning? And how is it going?

Crystal

It's going okay for me but I don't think I'm a keep it up. I haven't relaxed since August and I have about 4 inches new growth and 4 inches perm. I'm ponytailing it right now and I'm a do braids this weekend.

I have thin 4a, so as long as I have some water and Scurl juice near by it's pretty painless for me. My reasons for stop perming was because I didn't know what I was doing and was jacking up my hair with all that No-lye and overlapping so I just stopped. But I now feel Natural is not for me.

I've been trying to educate myself better and feel I'm ready for another relaxer. So I'll probably do that around May. I'm actually looking forward to it.

alireno

I got my last relaxer the beginning of September. My hair seems to grow a lot faster without a relaxer, so I have decided not to relax anymore. My hair also seems healthier without a relaxer. I have 2B type hair. Right now, the hair on the top of my hair is wavy and the relaxed hair (length) is straight from the relaxer. I have decided not to chop off the relaxed hair. I have no problems with breakage. I keep my hair well moisturized using my beloved Profectiv products, wash my hair every 4th day, wear my satin cap and sleep on a satin pillowcase, and wear no contact styles. My hair has never been healthier! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adf23

me too! my last relaxer was the end of january. i have about 1.25 inches of new growth. I mostly ponytail it as well, but I have a wig that I wear, in a styles very similar to the way I wear my "relaxed" hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm fine so far, but the true test will be when I hit the 3-4 inch mark /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
My last touch-up was in July or August 2002. After doing my own touch-ups at home for almost 5 years, I was afraid I was overlapping when I did my own hair. I went to a stylist recommended by someone with really nice hair. My hair started breaking almost immediately. All of the previously relaxed hair in an area about 1/2 the size of my palm in the crown area of my head broke off. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't know what she did, but I'm terrified of putting any more chemicals in my hair...

I was wearing braids off and on, but my hairline started looking a little sparse. That's the last thing I need! So I shampoo and condition 2x-3x per week, pull my own hair back into a bun with S-Curl Spray and ORS Lock & Twist Gel and cover it with a fake afro puff. I apply whatever kind of moisturizer my hair needs in the evenings. I have 'em all--pomades, oil, lotions, creams... I use Crystal's Royal Secrets Sheep Sorrell Ointment on the damaged (short!) section every night.

When the shortest part is cheek length I plan to cut off the remaining relaxed hair. It feels like it's gonna take forever! The damaged part is 2x shorter than the rest of my natural hair! /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

But I'm thankful that it's broken in an area that is easy to conceal. And I'm also grateful that it's growing out strong and healthy. /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

iris

I started in the fall of 2002 using hennalucent based on recommendations by others who used it to transition. I did the 'big chop' in February, deep conditioned every week, and rollersetted for styling.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi BlkMane /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Laela checking in. It's been less than a month since my decision. I've some new growth already though. I'll be putting in braids sometime in April and will post pics, since I'll be doing them myeslf...

My routine so far is braid out and/or ponytails. Today I'm wearing a simple p-tail( my own hair parted down the middle and pinned in a bun) that was done over night w/ hair gel and S Curl No Drip. I will do this style more as I get more growth this month and next because the waves are starting to show... Gosh, I miss the waviness of natural pontytails!

Tonya

Tonya checking in!!!
I just staretd within the last month as well. I feel that my hair grows fasterm thicker and overall is much healthier in it's nautral state. My last touch up was the first week in february...However...I already have close to 2 inches or curlies!!! Up until last night I had cornrows. I took them out last nigth washed, did a cellophane, conditioned, and did a light blow dry.. heating of my roots and I did a dry set. My hair is already alot fuller and I am noticing growth. I will try to keep as much heat otu of my hair as possible. My things is as long as my hair is chemical free heat does nto bother it as much. I am just about back where I was before I got a DEEP trim back in Decemebr. I will be glad when my whole head is like my deep roots.
I must admit when i see fresh perms but when i think of how thick adn pretty my hair will be when I grow this perm out plus I can wear it curly and wavy(liek Tracy Ellis Ross) if I choose. I am so excited. When I was my hair again I am gonna take pics of my new prowth so I can track it.

nita4

Hi ladies, I've been contemplating transitioning for awhile now. I'm trying to find a way to wear my hair probably braidouts and rollersets. Also, I'm seriously thinking about using Henna to loosen my coils up and take some of bulk out. I'm only into this 6 weeks so far and know that my true challenge will begin at 13 weeks. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

auntybe

Auntybe Checking in!

I haven't relaxed since Feb. 08, 2002. I hope I can stay with it this time. I usually stay natural about 2-3 yrs and then relax again.

With me you never know.

niva

I am currently transitioning. I was natural for over 3 years. I relaxed in July 2002, got a touch up in September and very mild touch up in November. My hair seems thicker when natural. I am currently in human hair braids. I plan to wear braids until at least June or July. After that I have no idea what style I will wear. I am so glad you posted on this subject.

deborah11

it's been 4.5 months for me since my last relaxer and i have about 2- 2.5 inches of new growth, the last 6 weeks or so i have been wearing my hair pulled back with a fake curly pony tail attached. this will probably be the hair style of choice for a while. I will gradually cut off my relaxed hair but i do not plan on cutting all of it off until i have at least 8 inhes of natural hair. my hair typically grows a lot faster in the summer so i hope that by the end of the year, i will be completely natural. i like the natural texture of my hair a lot more than the relaxed hair. my natural hair is wavy, thick and more healthy looking than the relaxed hair. truely, i can't wait to get rid of this relaxed hair . my hair also seems break last now; my bangs use to break all the time with the relaxer now my bangs are at the end of my nose tip. transitioning is a pain, with the 2 textures, but i am committed to this journey. thanks everyone for all of your support. deborah

Boadicea

I'm transitioning for the third time in 1 1/2 years. Can't seem to stop relaxing, but I'm really done for good this time. So far I have a full inch of natural hair. Would have had 5 inches now but I slipped back in January. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Right now I wash my hair once a week and dry it in the ponytail method

Drea84

My turn to join!
I haven't had a relaxer since around Thanksgiving 2002. I am transitioning with the assistance of braids. My hair is 4b so it is difficult for me to manage it without braiding it. I am just going natural to gain back my thickness and health. Once I do that I may either press or go back to relaxing....Im so confused PRAY FOR ME!! LoL
I want so bad to take the pills to help with the growth process but because Im in school and I work it is almost impossible to keep up with. I REFUSE to pop pills in the break area or in the caf!!

Drea /images/graemlins/cool.gif

VanillaDream80

Vanilladream80 signing in. My last relaxer was in August 2002. I'm making progress, even though the journey has been long and difficult at times. Sorry I haven't been to the board in a while; I've been busy with school, work, and I am currently " on-line" (or as a Big Sister put it, 'participating in the membership intake process') for <font color="red"> Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. </font> Wish me luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drea84

Quick question what helps you guys most during your transitioning....You know having to deal with two textures is not the easiest thing. Me personally Im wearing these hh braids.

And I see Bodicea is rockin the ponytail. What are you other ladies doing?

Drea84

nita4

I'm only seven weeks into this so my real test won't come until 13 weeks, but I'm doing braidouts for now. I also do rollerset and updos. I haven't tried a henna treatment yet, anxiously awaiting for my products to help loosen this curl after 13 weeks. Best to you all.

nita4

Hi Drea84

It is suppose to loosen the curl naturally, take away frizz and bulk. Check out the thread on "Paging Hennaphilic Gals" it's a good read.

nappi

im transistionin' right now i cant rememba my last relaxer mayB in tha summa time
ive had braids 4 almost 2 months now
they needed redoin' a whilw ago

nappi

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Drea84 said:
Quick question what helps you guys most during your transitioning....You know having to deal with two textures is not the easiest thing. Me personally Im wearing these hh braids.

And I see Bodicea is rockin the ponytail. What are you other ladies doing?

Drea84

[/ QUOTE ]
when my hair isn't in braids i almost always wrap my head and if not then i just twist it tha nite b4

Drea84

Thanks Nappi!

Yes I wanted to invest into those head wraps. Does anyone know of a good place in NYC to buy the material for the head wraps. Something cute and cheap!

Thanks in advance

Drea84

Tonya

HHEEELLLPPPP
I am so tempted to throw in the towel and geta perm. I washed my hair and man....I have alot of new growth and I have to remind myself that my goal is to have thick hauir.....help I feel weak.

Cook52

I had my last relaxer/touch-up in August 2002. My hair has grown about 3.5 inches. I had been wearing my hair in double-strand twists, but heard about the pull string pony tail and bought one. I have 4a/4b hair. I wash once a week, deep condition weekly and hot oil once a week. I keep my ends well moisturized with CDHHB and carrot oil cream. I also moisturize my hair with s-curl. I hot oil my hair with jojoba and water. I deep condition with cholestrol. I take HR37, and B complex. I will start biotin and msm tomorrow.

G

Is there anything out there that will straighten out the curl without heat? I don't mean flaten the newgrowth but actually straighten it to look relaxed, without using heat on my hair?

BlkMane

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Is there anything out there that will straighten out the curl without heat? I don't mean flaten the newgrowth but actually straighten it to look relaxed, without using heat on my hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of a product that REALLY straightens new growth (without heat) to look like it is relaxed. However, I find that if I add tons of moisture to my new growth WHILE WET, and pull it back in a tight (but not TOO tight now) ponytail, my new growth is much, much straighter.

I like S Curl, but I think I prefer to use BB Castor Oil Hair Lotion on my new growth (and length) when I'm fixing a ponytail with wet hair. I like the feel of the BB Castor Oil better once my hair dries. The S Curl sometimes dries leaving my hair with a "coated" feel.

BB Castor Oil dries soft with no greasy or coated feel. And it really, really softens the new growth.