Calling bone-straight relaxed or pressed gals...

Cheleigh

What type of moisturizer(s) are you bone-straight relaxed or pressed folks using? Is is oil-based, water based, or what?

I am making some hair moisturizer for friends, but I have several friends that wear their hair bone straight, and are not into conditioner washing or letting their hair get wavy or poofy in between washes. As such I'm a little concerned about giving them water-based moisturizers, which is what I usually make.

Any advice or thoughts on what you use for moisture would be very helpful to me.

P.S. I might have to bump this a few times for reponses, so forgive me (a lot of folks don't seem to be doing bone-straight so much on this site).

Victorian

old head
If you want to make something that is not water-based, then you might want oil-based or glycerin-based. My favorite when I was relaxed was profectiv long n healthy mega moisturizer. It is glycerin based. However, when I was relaxed I did use water-based moisturizers too. I think they are only a problem if the hair is not relaxed completely, or the hair is worn pressed.

natural_one

i use shea butter for moisture. i apply after i let it air dry and then wrap it at night and i dont have to apply any more for a few days and plus my hair is moisturized without that greasy feel/look.

amy1234

my hair is texturized and can easily start to pouf if I add too much water. What I like to use as a daily moisturizer is called "the conditioner" by paul mitchel. At first the consistency is watery, but after you emulsify it in your hands it turns into a thick creamy white cream. I usually apply it before I go to bed and cover with a bonnet. In the morning my hair is really soft and moisturized - no dryness and breakage. hth :)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I'm relaxed bone straight and I like to use S-curl, BB oil moisturizer, and alot of oil moisturizers like Carrot oil, Avacodo oil and EVOO. I like to use water based moisturizers when I wear my hair pulled back in a bun or braid styles. When wearing it out I lean more to oil moisturizers. HTH's

Cheleigh

Black Cardinal: Thank you--I have glycerin at home, so I certainly can use this as a part of the moisturizer.

Natural One: I have shea butter too. Maybe I should use this as a base (like shea butter, rosemary extract, palm oil and/or jojoba).

Dee: This is exactly my concern--I remember when I wanted to stay straight, my hair would poof up if I used water-based stuff after the first week or two after a fresh relaxer. My girlfriends spend a bunch of $ to keep their hair straight, and I don't want to kill the deal for them. :lol:

Beautiful Wide Eyes: I'm going to the BSS later today and peep the ingredients in the BB and S-Curl--I want to see if I can incorporate any of them into a sample mixture.

:)

FeelinIt

As a natural who likes to go straight every now and then, glycerin was a no no for me. I used glycerin before a press and that stuff would poof up. So just letting you know.

Cheleigh

FeelinIt said:
As a natural who likes to go straight every now and then, glycerin was a no no for me. I used glycerin before a press and that stuff would poof up. So just letting you know.

:( Oh oh. Good to know. I thought that might happen.

sylver2

I relax bone straight
I just use NTM silk touch as a moisturizer mixed with organic jojoba oil and ntm serum