Calling ladies from the West Indies

sabie19

Hey,
Well I am 15 years old and wanted to start this post because I am Haitian. I was wondering if there are any other West Indies people who are on this board. How long is your hair? How healthy is it? My hair is 9 inches. It is thick and much healthy than it was in the month of August. Well, I just wanted to give some advice on what I do for my hair to stay healthy. I take vitamins daily and I drink a protein shake everyday. I also wear protective styles like buns and now my hair is braided which I will keep for about 2 months. I massage my hair about every other day. I keep my hair moisturize and wash it every week and I especially protect my ends by moisturizing it. The ends are real important if you want to see hair growth. So, if anyone else even if you are not West Indies please list some advice. Also, the products I use on my hair is WildGrowth Hair Oil and Jojoba Oil. They are real good.
I do drink lots of water.

shinyblackhair

Well, I am a 1st generation Canadian, however my mom is from Trinidad and my dad is Jamaican. You are very knowledgable about hair care for a 15 year old. That is so wonderful! I wish I knew as much as you do about hair when I was that age, LOL...

Keep up the good work, it sounds like you've got an excellent routine going.

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
My family is from Barbados and I follow a similar routine to yours. If I had as much Hair sense when I was 15 as you do.....my hair would be tailbone length by now

You are on the way to having great healthy hair. I would also suggest that you use a seamless comb when combing.

BrEE

Hi sabrina, i coulda swore you were one of my childhood friends who would be about your age right now. Her name was sabrina as well, but we called her sabine<--.You can prob tell im haitian too huh? I'm 19 and though i dont know how many inches my hair is it's a little past bra strap length.My Routine:
I recently started washing my hair every week, no longer going to a hairstylist cause i hated how harsh she was with my hair and how much she rippped out. i dreaded this so much that i would only get it washed maybe once a month or even go longer. I shampoo,condition,moisturize, and airdry every week and after that every couple of days i moisturize.'m lazy about moisturizing so i'm looking for a moisturizer that will last more than a day.The products that i use now are biolage and paul mitchell.

DahomeyAhosi

Hi Sabie. I'm not West Indian but I'm West African and I thought I'd respond because many Haitians are actually descended from the people who live in my native country - Benin. My hair is about 20 inches long (from hairline to ends). I am relaxed. I moisturize with curl activator and moisturizer, wear my hair in buns 99% of the time (mainly to prevent snags) and relax as seldom as possible. High water intake and massage is great.

I was natural for about a year and that really taught me a lot about my hair texture. I also take a load of vitamins including Biotin, MSM, B5, and a multiple. Good luck...with your knowledge and this board you are well on your way to realizing your hair goals.

WaterMoccasin

You beat me to it! I was gonna start a similar thread, but I was just wondering how many West Indians were on this board.
I'm from the Bahamas by the way

Islandgirl

i'm west indian. my parents are from antigua and i was born on the island of st. thomas usvi. my hair was close to bra-strap length back at home. since coming to the states for college my hair has been a hot mess !

katie

I'm from Trinidad.My hair was always around nape length.When I came to Canada for university it broke off since I wasnt used to caring for hair in cold weather.I am much better at it now,and am hoping for bra strap length by graduation.

ccd

I'm a NYC born Haitian
You are so knowledgable!! keep up the great regime...........
relaxed 4a;
product info :
shampoo/con: matrix sleek&smooth or Rusk deepshine shamp/con
Deep cons: 10 en 1 or hollywood olive oil cholestral
Alter Ego scalp treatment
Vitamins (see bio)

I basically wash and set 2x per week, wrap at night and silk scarf the doo

ccd

[ QUOTE ]
DahomeyAhosi said:
Hi Sabie. I'm not West Indian but I'm West African and I thought I'd respond because many Haitians are actually descended from the people who live in my native country - Benin. ....

Hello DahomeyAhosi
very interested in doing research on this...do you know of any sites I could go to.... Thanks in advance either way

Islandgirl

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
I'm from Trinidad.My hair was always around nape length.When I came to Canada for university it broke off since I wasnt used to caring for hair in cold weather.I am much better at it now,and am hoping for bra strap length by graduation.

[/ QUOTE ]

katie i have the same problem since coming to the us, my hair flourished so well in the tropics that it was hard for it to adjust to the cold. the cold and overprocessing killed my hair.

katie

[ QUOTE ]
Islandgirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

katie i have the same problem since coming to the us, my hair flourished so well in the tropics that it was hard for it to adjust to the cold. the cold and overprocessing killed my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Caring for hair is almost a no brainer in hot climates.I came to Canada thinking I could do the same things I would do at home.The bad hair prcatices I had at home always kept me at nape length but those same practices made me have to cut off almost all my hair in Canada.Looking back, I wish I had met someone who would have warned me.

DahomeyAhosi

Hi ccd,

There are so many stories I heard growing up that leave no doubt in my mind that this is true. As far as written documentation I'm sure light research on the slave trade of Dahomey (old name of Benin) would yield plenty. Here are some links:

http://www.readnrun.com/no_doubt_about_it__there_is_no_d.htm
http://www.discoverhaiti.com/alix_2000_8.htm
http://www.discoverhaiti.com/alix_2000_11.htm
http://www.bongamusic.com/drums.html

The main link between Benin and Haiti is voudoun. Benin is the birthplace of voudoun and most Beninese still practice it. Benin was also the main source of slaves shipped to Bahia in Brazil. Many of the Brazilian slaves returned to Benin and there is still a sizable population of southern Beninese we call "the Brazilians" to this day. Also many Haitians come to Benin for the national day of Voudoun which is our biggest holiday. Hope this helps! You may find more in French because that is the language spoken in both countries.

ccd

Thank you very much for the info, I'm eager to start finding info. this is great!

SweetNic_JA

hi sabie

I am from the west indies (Jamaica) but I live in CT, USA now.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things for your hair. Just keep up your routine, moisturize, eat right, moisturize, and continue protecting your ends. I gaurantee you will see the difference.

By the way, how is the weather?!

naomi

good skin and hair
Hi Im Jamaican, but grew up here in the states since I was 4 years old. I have relaxed 3b/c hair. I would say I have long hair- naturally. My hair has always been long, right now my hair is bra strap.

hottrinigal617

im trinidadian and african american and i have natural wavy hair and i was born in the states and i do a co wash about 3-4 times a week except 2 weeks before relaxerand take vitamins my hair is about 2-3 inches on back

dominicana

I'm from the dominican republic
-DahomeyAhosi
one of the many nicknames my husband uses for me is Dahomey!
It's sad but I had never heard of it, and he showed me where it was on the map.
D

kelendra_cole

hey I'm lovin this thread I'm of jamaican descent but born in canada and I have blessed with good thick long hair but i keep it natural and i used to wash it everyday but since i've moved to china it's alittle bit difficult but I think Olive oil is the greatest moisturizer of all

katie

Is everyone going back home to their respective islands for Christmas?I can't wait!(off topic I know)

joemerald

Well I am bajan and only came to the US three years ago. Strangely enough my hair is growing more here than at home or maybe I am just taking care of it now. I am very aware of it more than ever before. If I was as aware as u are at your age I would be at my goal many years ago.

Jo.

WaterMoccasin

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
Is everyone going back home to their respective islands for Christmas?I can't wait!(off topic I know)

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, traveling to New York..can't wait til I do!! (summer maybe?)

cutebajangirl

[ QUOTE ]
joemerald said:
Well I am bajan and only came to the US three years ago. Strangely enough my hair is growing more here than at home or maybe I am just taking care of it now. I am very aware of it more than ever before. If I was as aware as u are at your age I would be at my goal many years ago.

Jo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where from? I am from St. Peter.