Came Across This On Black Voices..I think its a VERY good idea

SoulElegance

Black Owned Beauty Supply Stores
Stop purchasing from the Koreans.They invest NOTHING into the communities in which they operate. It's exploitation at it's HIGHEST level.

List below is Black Beauty Supply Stores

Maybe we should start embracing our natural hair and slow down on all the fake hair.....tha would put a dent in the Korean pocketbook. We as African American men and women need to stand together if we're going to make a difference for our children and ourselves. I want to get together with people who are interested in boycotting the Korean shops and supporting our own shops by any means necessary. There are too many African Americans who have become complacent and it's embarrassing to watch. We go and spend our hard-earned money at the nail shop where they talk about us and treat us as second class citizens. We walk into stores where we are not greeted and spend hundreds of dollars. Please will the real African Americans please stand up. I can't fight alone, but I will if I have to. If you are interested in making a difference call and we can discuss what our first plan of action is.

My name is Yuri and I can be reached at 678-365-7686.
Let's make a difference!

M&M HAIR AND BEAUTY SUPPLY
108 EAST MAIN STREET
DILLON, SOUTH CAROLINA 29536
PHONE: (843)774-9400
FAX: (843)7740357
E MAIL: [email protected]

BLACK OWNED; FAMILY OWNED; BEEN IN BUSINESS 23 YEARS.

Black Hair...Time to take over again
Sharon's Boutique
5231 Warrensville Ctr Rd.
Maple Hts. Oh 44137
216-622-7688
[email protected]

We ARE a black owned Hair shop that specialzes in selling wigs, hairpieces, weaving hair,ponytails and etc. My sister also specialzes in redoing old wigs and restoring them to they original look. We also work with ladies going thru cancer, propecia or any situation that deals with hair loss. We also have dealt with the issue of "certain" wholesalers not selling mechandise to us because we were told that "we were too close to the other store", around the corner from us, who is owned by Koreans. But for every one that won't sell to us, my sister have found three more that would. We would like to extend our hand to reach out to other African-Amercan owned shops around the country to do business with. We would like to bring nothing BUT Black owned products to our store. Feel free to contact us at the phone number or email address given above. Let's make Madam CJ Walker proud of us again and show her hard work was not in vain....thank you.

Chris M-Assistant Manager

Black Owned Manufacturer
I am a Black owned manufacturer who has gone through the channels of getting my products in the main stream market. Unfortunately I had to go the the Koreans to get my products in the Beauty Supply Stores. Here's the big problem though, they order my products and sometimes it is large orders like $10,000-$15,000 and I put them on a Net 30 days terms. THEY NEVER PAY IN 30 DAYS, it is mostly 90-120 days before they pay or even if they pay then. My products have been on the market since 1998 and we began selling online in the year of 2000. Today August 16, 2007 I just left Wal-mart in a meeting to get my products in there so today I was just filled with emotion when I got off the plane to hear today's topic. The product I own is NouriTress Perfect Hair Products and it is product for African American Women experiencing hair thinning, hair shedding and hair loss. I do have some distribution in the Beauty Supply Stores but I can't get paid. I have even reached out to the Black owned Beauty Supply Stores on BOBSA.org website and I had problems just trying to get someone from the Black Beauty Supply Stores to answer the phone. My web address is [URL="http://www.nouritress.com/"]www.nouritress.com [/URL]and our phone # is 1-888-489-0179! If you are a black owned Beauty Supply store please contact us directly for distribution. We have over 20,000 women who have used our products.

Sincerely,
President/CEO
DeShawn Bullard
[URL="http://www.deshawnbullard.com/"]www.deshawnbullard.com[/URL]

Last edited:

Blossssom

I would definitely prefer to support our people over somebody else's.

I haven't ordered anything from Payne's Beauty Supply in a long time, but if I ever do order hair products on line, I try to patronize them.

But it's been a while.

SoulElegance

Yes I think its time we as black people STOP supporting the Koreans by buying from their stores and stop buying their hair extentions and look for black merchants and non korean hair companies. Lots of the weaving hair is made by Asians. I no longer buy from asian beauty stores or no longer buy their hair. I am now purchasing real indian hair straight from india. A bit more expensive but superior quality and not from asians. Let's support this cause ladies and pass this along to family and friends.

Thank You!

Glib Gurl

Excellent post! In my hometown (which has a very large black population) there is a black-owned beauty supply store right across the street from a Chinese-owned beauty supply store. Which one do you think gets the most business . . . *smh* I always patronize the black store.

MizzBrown

I'm all for supporting black businesses but if the service is bad, and the prices are higher and the shipping is outrageous then WHY?

Examples?
Love Carol's Daughter but I am boycotting because of their outrageous shipping rates, piss poor customer service and poor website managing. They only have about 5 people on the phones, never know what's REALLY on backorder and what's not and will not budge w/ shipping rates for the sake of customer service. And for a while, you COULD NOT return ANYTHING.

Everytime i go into my black/dominican BSS in my town and ask them a question, they won't even come from behind the register to check and see if they have it. The owner is VERY nice and its his daughters/nieces i guess that are so nonchalant and non informative.

I go in the chinese/korean store, they can barely speak english but they seem to bend over backwards for my dollar more than the rest....Just my personal experiences of course!

Ladylyn

i despise going to the koreans they come into our neighborhood hike the prices up. I try to support black owned BSS but you get crappy service. Black owned Business period need to learn customer service. You can't expect people to buy from you just cuz U R black. If I get bad service I don't go back.

beana

Bad service is bad service, but i must say Koreans are by FAR the rudest "sales people". I remember asking a "sales associate"/ stalker to getb a product high on the shelf, this beeyotch had the nerve to say " Yes i will get, but you must buy"... i just walked out and left my basket full of products on the floor at her feet...

I cant deal with it.. I buy most of my hair products from sheldeez (know its not a board favorite, but ive never had any problems with them)

I just cant deal w/ the BS.. the most money they'll get rom me is 50cents, the amount of $ for a rollersetting comb.

I have an African owned and operated BSS near me, and they're not the friendliest people, but if i ask them to order something they'll do it.

the_UnPrettiest_pretty

Beauty IS skin deep.
I'm with ya. I haven't been in an Asian/Korean/whatever BSS in a minute. I stopped going to them when all the ideas started surfacing about fake, bootleg, and counterfeit hair care products.

KatKronicles

What is sad is your going to find that most black women seem to like being disrespected. watch how few posts there are in this thread and any in the history of this subject on it.

My grandmother told me " you never have to beg someone to take your money" and that is the truth. In richmond where I live there is only 2 black owned bss. 1 is too far so i dont go there. And the local one, I feel doesnt get the business it deserves.

Im orginally form the korean bss of the world South Central LA, and i never did find an black owned salon. I once thought I did in altadena/pasadena because the sales force was black, but upon further review the owner was indeed a jew. I still went bc at least he hired knowlegeable people.

There in my lifetime of shopping at korean/asian bss' have maybe been 4 vendors who emplyed black people and even then they were miserable.

I have seriously been thinking of opening a bss of my own. the only thing that stops me is that my people are so ignorant when it comes to supporting thier own kind. Its almost as if they love and feel some deep down urge to line the asians pockets.

Black Hair care is a 4 billion dollar business. Remember this ladies.

SoulElegance

Oh my goodness that photo is just toooo much. Well I am no longer buying from the Asian Beauty Supply places. We need to support black owned businesses no matter what. Stop keeping each other down and support one another so we as a race can make a difference in the American economy. Let's not be crabs in a barrell.

God Bless!

SoulElegance

I have seriously been thinking of opening a bss of my own. the only thing that stops me is that my people are so ignorant when it comes to supporting thier own kind. Its almost as if they love and feel some deep down urge to line the asians pockets.

Black Hair care is a 4 billion dollar business. Remember this ladies.

Get those loans ladies and open those beauty supply shops. The government even has grants for first time female african american business owners. Take advantage and let's stop giving the Asians our money and keep it in our own pockets and communities. Band together and support one another.

God Bless

*kitten don't let anyone else's attitude stop you from your business venture. Maybe it will catch on and spread like wild fire. If you get it up and running consider conducting seminars to inspire others to follow your footsteps. I am thinking of my own beauty shop too.*

A

AmilLion

I would love to support my ppl, but i usually find that they mark-up things up 50%. Or when I do buy it, the product is expired. What's up with that?

But most of my products I don't usually purchase from the Koreans

Maa Maa omo mti

I would love to support my ppl, but i usually find that they mark-up things up 50%. Or when I do buy it, the product is expired. What's up with that?

But most of my products I don't usually purchase from the Koreans
being that majority of the time even the distributors are asians they probably charge non asians higher for the product thus making the sales price higher.

I've been to several BSS where things were higher also.

oh the other product you buy at non black stores might be expired to but they probably do a better job at masking it.

cocosweet

Good customer service is a dying art. Period. Before I relocated I found a black bss about 20 mins drive from home. I always got good service and would offer suggestions.:yep:

I go out of my way to not buy from Koreans. If anyone knows of a black bss near Orlando, please PM me cuz I'm trying to find one.

AvaSpeaks

They don't respect us because they think we are not worthy of respect. They think we are all a "hot ghetto mess"!

But the problem is, there is so many of us that fit the stereotype that walks into their shops and supply stores. Some of our sistas spend more money on their nails and "hair" than they do on groceries :nono:

So what do we do? We can stop going to their places and open up our own. And then treat our own with respect and good customer service, even the ones that gives us attitude.

berry87

Hey we shoud have a LHCF black beauty supply store! We can get in contact with some manufacturers, and distributors to get the job done.We can offer products that are regulalry used on this borad (Aveda, Nexxus, Aubrey Organics)etc, in addition entrepreneurs like Candy C and others can sell their products here as well as their own personal sites. Just a thought:drunk:

*** The reason why most prices in Black Beauty supply stores are higher is because the manufactures & distributors are mostly Asians. There are only a handful of Black Manufactures! So Black BSS has to make some profit.:look:**

check out these links ladies!

http://www.bobsaone.org/home.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSVhxOpGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-nX25UrsI&mode=related&search=

bravenewgirl87

I am actually writing a directory of salons, BBSS, and start-up beauty business. If you want to recommend a salon or BBSS, let me know.

SoulElegance

Hey we shoud have a LHCF black beauty supply store! We can get in contact with some manufacturers, and distributors to get the job done.We can offer products that are regulalry used on this borad (Aveda, Nexxus, Aubrey Organics)etc, in addition entrepreneurs like Candy C and others can sell their products here as well as their own personal sites. Just a thought:drunk:

Excellent Idea. I am now considering developing my own hair care products!

baby42

I'm all for supporting black businesses but if the service is bad, and the prices are higher and the shipping is outrageous then WHY?

Examples?
Love Carol's Daughter but I am boycotting because of their outrageous shipping rates, piss poor customer service and poor website managing. They only have about 5 people on the phones, never know what's REALLY on backorder and what's not and will not budge w/ shipping rates for the sake of customer service. And for a while, you COULD NOT return ANYTHING.

Everytime i go into my black/dominican BSS in my town and ask them a question, they won't even come from behind the register to check and see if they have it. The owner is VERY nice and its his daughters/nieces i guess that are so nonchalant and non informative.

I go in the chinese/korean store, they can barely speak english but they seem to bend over backwards for my dollar more than the rest....Just my personal experiences of course!
this is sad but true i try my best to go to black bss stores but they also seem to mark up the cost of their hair care stuff.:yep:and that send me runinng away:perplexedand some wonder why you dont buy from them:perplexed and i dont fine that in other stores:perplexed

PuffyBrown

Ladies please check out this link! :grin:
http://www.bobsa.us/index.htm

I was going to sign up wiht them about 2yrs ago but truely after I got all of the information I was no longer interested because they want you to pay :blush:$15000 for the website and they "control" the products. I thought that was way to expensive because I have run my own website before, a few years ago and it was easy. You just get a business license and set up accounts with the distributor. I would've preferred that they offer the products, and let businesses purchase the products from them because reading all their information they stated that it is difficult for black business owners to get a fair price for the product and many time the vendor would no longer sell after they found that the company was black owned. I would have preferred to invest the $15000 on products and not for use of the website that they are basically just "dropshipping products to your company for you" This doesn't include advertising and other business related things that you will need to do to direct traffic to your website. I think it's more for a brick and mortar. If they improved their offer I would definately sign up. I think they are trying to build funds, and revenue. I will just keep my eyes and ears open.

ps I think that is one problem that we have in the black business community. People want the big bucks whilst saying they want to help our people in same breath.