Michael Baisden show- Black SS!

BklynHeart

Michael Baisden's topic today is about the Black Beauty supply store owners and what they go through with Koren owned stores. One woman on there, I didn't catch her name, said she owns Kazuri (sp?) hair and when she goes into the stores she sees a lot of knock-offs of her product.

Cien

Pink is my signature color
I'm listening!

I forget her name also---but she was the lady featured in that Korean hair documentary that was posted awhile back.

I believe she is the owner/distributor of her own black hair care products company in Compton, CA.....selling flat irons and such.

Keen

I can't listen to this online for free? I check my local station and they don't seem to broadcast online...

texasqt

There is a Black owned BSS in North Dallas that the last time I visited, on my way out, an Asian guy entered with a binder and a bunch of documents. The lady who owns the store turned to me and said - 'he's always coming in here giving me citations, i wonder what is it today?' That was confirmation for me that we really need to look at who we are giving our money to. She has a prime location and there are no other BSSs around but I bet you if she shuts down they'll be moving in...I'm doing my part - Black Owned, Sallys, or drug/grocery stores only.

Other stories include, why products come in different bottles than what I would purchase elsewhere, why did my friend's last perm turn out to be a bad one, the list goes on and on...

However, its a weird situation. Because on the flip side we really don't know if its true domination, some form of economic takeover, or even slave-labor in disguise. Most times, their stories include something along the line of 'working to send money home.' Heck, with our immigration programs you just don't know what kind of under the table deals people got going these days.

Just my $0.02

deontaer

The immigration program that we have going on is how the many asian/korean immigrants come over to this country and instantly have some kind of store or business. Does anyone know why? Since I was in high school, I've always heard that certain immigrants are given easy startup money to start their own businesses...and when you consider how many asian/korean owned carry outs and bss are around, I believe it. As I was listening to the show today, I tried my damndest to think of a bss that I've been in that wasn't ran or owned by asian's...couldn't think of 1.

Iluvsmuhgrass

I haven't listened to the show yet.

As far as giving immigrants start up money.... I try not to believe everything I hear.... Especially since folks keep spreading rumors about Native American Indians getting free government money (a load of crap. I know plenty of folks that got nada.) I know a few Asian Americans that saved their money and invested once they got here. Not only that but importing is big business.... you can get jewelry and the like cheap from other places, you just have to buy in bulk. jmho :look:

Ms_Twana

Wow!! One Asian owned BSS that I go to always has the radio on the Michael Baisden show. I wonder how uncomfortable it got in there!!! :lol: :lachen:

baglady215

Ms_Twana said:
Wow!! One Asian owned BSS that I go to always has the radio on the Michael Baisden show. I wonder how uncomfortable it got in there!!! :lol: :lachen:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

But about the "free money" thing, I don't buy that either. I mean, the government does have grants and such, but I'm sure their available to everybody. A lot of them sell their property and then come here and use the money to start up a business. Some probably get small business loans or help from friends and family who have already established a business. And then, usually the whole family will work in the business to save on costs even more. I'm not defending them, and if they are intentionally trying to stop black folks from getting $$ too, it's dead wrong. However, I don't believe they are given any extra opportunities that we aren't. Maybe they are just willing to sacrifice more.