Can you overprocess underprocessed hair?

rayne

I had a section of my hair that has been underprocessed for about a year. I did a corrective relaxer twice, on two seperate occasions. The last time I did one, Feb 2003, it seemed to have worked. The section was still underprocessed but it was not as bad as it was before. Lately, I've noticed that when my hair is wet ALL of it looks underprocessed. I don't understand what happened
My last touch up was Aug 1st and the relaxer "took" or so I thought, yet I still look like I have a texturizer.
I washed my hair the next day after the touch-up and I'm wondering if that's what caused my problem. On my next touch-up, I want to do another corrective relaxer but I'm scared of damaging my hair. What should I do? Help!!!

nita4

Hi Rayne, if the underprocessed hair was done with a no-lye relaxer - it won't get any straighter. If done with lye, it will straighen a little - over time.

I've tried to correct seriously underprocessed hair (no-lye and lye) and all I can say is over time when getting my regular touch ups it seemed to straighten a little. Yes, I think that you can over process underprocessed hair if you keep "trying" to correct it.

Condition well.

HTH

rayne

Thanks Nita4
Yep, a no-lye relaxer was the culprit. Oh well, maybe I'll just try to work with my "new" texture

beana3

i agree with nita, constantly going over the hair with relaxer chemical can damage.. despite the good intentions of correcting a problem.
After one or two attempts i would call it even and just wait for it to gradually straighten during furture touchups. I would suggest intense deep conditioning from relaxer to relaxer if you plan on going through with the corrective app.