ceramic plate technology

SVT

While researching which ceramic iron to buy, I came across this UK vendor's site:

http://www.body4real.com/xcshop/files/hair_straightener_index.htm

Useful facts about hair straighteners

1) Ceramic hair straighteners protect the hair using heat to lock in moisture and natural oils, creating a smooth polished effect with added natural shine.

2) Virtually all ceramic straighteners have alloy plates that are coated with a layer of ceramic. The alloy plates actually conduct the heat. A ceramic coating is used because it dissipates heat well over the surface of the plates and is also extremely smooth and hard wearing. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3) Ceramic coatings on plates can be either dipped, painted or baked. Baked or crystal coated ceramic plates are by far the best. Most manufacturers do not divulge this information, unless they are using an expensive process like crystal coating, which is worth advertising. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4) Look for hair straighteners with a ceramic heating element, these offer heat up times usually below 10 seconds. Heat up times vary considerably, but are usually no more than 90 seconds.

5) How long will a hair iron last? This answer is approximately 12-18 months with average use. You must remember that these styling tools generate intense heat. The heat eventually affects the ceramic coating on plates (baked ceramic lasts the longest) and heating elements eventually burn out. Nothing lasts forever!

Okay, now see, I was thinking the less expensive irons were coated and the pricey ones were ceramic through and through. /images/graemlins/whyme.gif

I'll probably end up getting a CHI anyway. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

kitchen_tician

Thanks for the info. I have a 2" CHI Turbo Iron, but I want to buy a smaller iron. Oh yeah, is that you in your signature? Pretty piture and gorgeous hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
You might as well splurge on a expensive ceramic flat iron because the ceramic-plated ones will wear away. Mine is and I'm trying to save for a Chi or Hai iron.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
Thanks for the info. I have a 2" CHI Turbo Iron, but I want to buy a smaller iron. Oh yeah, is that you in your signature? Pretty piture and gorgeous hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the 1" WIGO Onyx from Ulta. It was on "sale" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif for $99 and the packaging claims the plates are entirely ceramic. I'm keeping my receipt in case I need to return it.

Nope, that's not me in my avatar. That's UK model Rachel. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.shadesofebony.co.uk/rachel.htm

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
I bought the 1" WIGO Onyx from Ulta. It was on "sale" /images/graemlins/smirk.gif for $99 and the packaging claims the plates are entirely ceramic. I'm keeping my receipt in case I need to return it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I ironed a couple of thin sections on setting 7 and they came out great! /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

This iron has 12 settings, goes up to 430F, and has a 5 year warranty. It also comes with a sturdy warranty card that you can put in your wallet. It's packaged in a tall, black, metal standup tube thingy. Inside the can, the iron is wrapped in some sort of silk/nylon/polyester drawstring pouch that can be used for carrying to work or gym or traveling, etc.

Right now, I really like this iron. /images/graemlins/up.gif

I feel like I got a good deal because the plates are entirely ceramic, the warranty lasts 5 years and it was way cheaper than the comparable sized CHI which was selling for $149 and is not advertized as solid ceramic.

From the www.helenoftroyusa.com website:

Wigo® Onyx Series 1" Professional TOTAL CERAMICFlat Iron
Model WG5316
with the ultimate ceramic heater

* Solid ceramic plates:Straighten and smooth
* Heat more quickly and evenly
* Expose hair to less damaging heat
* Eliminate frizz
* Eliminate damaging hot spots
* Are easy to clean and inhibit bacteria and odor build-up
* Create glossy shine in any type or texture of hair

* Professional features:1" plates for all hair lengths - great for detail work
* Reaches temperatures to 430°F
* 50-second heat-up
* 12 heat settings for all hair types
* Exclusive Thermal Response Technology provides constant temperatures for continuous straightening
* 9-ft. heavy-duty professional round cord
* Includes velvet storage pouch
* Five-year warranty

AceH

<font color="blue"> Thanks for the info SVT. I'll have to look into that one as I'm on the prowl for a ceramic flat iron /images/graemlins/smile.gif </font>

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I ironed a couple of thin sections on setting 7 and they came out great! /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif

This iron has 12 settings, goes up to 430F, and has a 5 year warranty. It also comes with a sturdy warranty card that you can put in your wallet. It's packaged in a tall, black, metal standup tube thingy. Inside the can, the iron is wrapped in some sort of silk/nylon/polyester drawstring pouch that can be used for carrying to work or gym or traveling, etc.

Right now, I really like this iron. /images/graemlins/up.gif

I feel like I got a good deal because the plates are entirely ceramic, the warranty lasts 5 years and it was way cheaper than the comparable sized CHI which was selling for $149 and is not advertized as solid ceramic.

From the www.helenoftroyusa.com website:

Wigo® Onyx Series 1" Professional TOTAL CERAMICFlat Iron
Model WG5316
with the ultimate ceramic heater

* Solid ceramic plates:Straighten and smooth
* Heat more quickly and evenly
* Expose hair to less damaging heat
* Eliminate frizz
* Eliminate damaging hot spots
* Are easy to clean and inhibit bacteria and odor build-up
* Create glossy shine in any type or texture of hair

* Professional features:1" plates for all hair lengths - great for detail work
* Reaches temperatures to 430°F
* 50-second heat-up
* 12 heat settings for all hair types
* Exclusive Thermal Response Technology provides constant temperatures for continuous straightening
* 9-ft. heavy-duty professional round cord
* Includes velvet storage pouch
* Five-year warranty

[/ QUOTE ]

LADIES, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS IRON!!!

It does the absolute worse thing an iron could do. IT SNATCHES HAIR!!! /images/graemlins/whip.gif /images/graemlins/censored.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I'm on the waist length challenge. I can't have any hair snatching going on!

I switched back to my Jilbere ceramic on the first section after trying to adjust my hand positioning with the Wigo. Not only does it snatch hair but the plates do not clamp down tightly enough. I tried moving my hand closer to the plate area to get better clampage but the dern thing was too hot on that end. My cheapie Jilbere ceramic-coated iron does not snatch and the casing is not hot to the touch. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

So, to sum up my complaints about the WIGO Onyx WG5316 iron:

1. IT SNATCHES HAIR
2. it's made too long which makes the clamping not so good
3. the casing gets hot around the plates
4. because IT SNATCHES HAIR I can't bump my ends

The perfect iron would have solid ceramic plates that are ROUNDED not SQUARED so as not to snatch any hair and to make bumping easier. It would also have multiple temp settings, clamp tightly, not be hot to the touch, and have a kick *** warranty.

Does such an iron exist? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

UGH! I dread having to wait in long lines during the holiday season. Ulta bet' not give me static about returning this piece of crap. I have my receipt and the original packaging, dammit! Happy Holidays! /images/graemlins/mad.gif