Changing the stereotype

ANUBIS

Hey ladies! So we all know about the stereotype that black women have little hair or are bald. anyways the stereotype that we have to rely on fake hair or human hair to have long hair styles. So do you think that when all black women or atleast the majority know about healthy realaxed and natural hair care we will be associated with having long hair instead of always w earing weaves and wigs. I hope i getting my question across clearly...You know like when you think of indian women (from india) you automaticaly associate that with long beautiful hair. Do you think that because so many women on here want WSL or beyond hair that having long hair will become apart of our culture? Does that even make sense? I think that when most black women learn about good hair practices the majority will have very long hair. Any thoughts?:grin:

Last edited:

beans08

I think we have a loooong way to go. I do think nice hair will become the norm for us, be we still have to deal with a lot of misinformation and closed minds.

ANUBIS

by the way does anyone use or know what color lipstick that lady in the pic is wearing?? i always wanted that color but can never seem to find a good match!!!

LivingDol1

i think the major reason why there is this stereotype is because of the number of black celebrities that are wearing weaves and lace fronts. most people would assume that those women wear weaves and wigs because they have no hair... not because they probably have healthy hair under the weave that they don't care to have messed with every day for appearances, etc. and i don't think it's their responsibility to explain why they wear a weave. that's a personal choice. whatever people perceive is what they will perceive.

it's really too bad that this doesn't exist for white women. if a white woman has tracks or wears a wig, nobody thinks she doesn't have any hair. heck, they probably don't even think she's wearing a weave... but many of them do!

we do have a long way to go.

gradygirl

I agree we do have a long way to go. I believe that most black woman can have healthy hair short or long if we educate ourselves on proper haircare. Not everyone knows about LHCF and before I found this site I was listening to my hair stylist telling me to get a touchup every 4 weeks and get a trim every 4 weeks:ohwell:. My family used to always tell me that my hair was too thick and nappy to work with without a relaxer and the list goes on and on. It was not until I started to seek out information on caring for my hair myself that my thoughts and hair changed for the better. It takes some effort to have healthy hair and most people I know would rather throw some glue on some tracks and call it day so like I said we have a long way to go.

BeautifulFlower

I will have to say it will take ALOT of time. There are more black women in the hood then in colleges or cooporations and some (or most) dont have access to this information unless its taken to them. Unless we take it to the masses, majority will remain uninformed.

LivingDol1

I will have to say it will take ALOT of time. There are more black women in the hood then in colleges or cooporations and some (or most) dont have access to this information unless its taken to them. Unless we take it to the masses, majority will remain uninformed.

exactly. and what's also the truth is that some women just don't care to put effort into their hair. taking the time to find out what works and maybe becoming a PJ in the process. ;-) not all women make hair a priority.

PinkSkates

I would like to think so; but I won't be holding my breath. A whole lot of mental re-wiring will have to take place, and then a willingness to put in the time and effort to really care for your real hair will have to happen in the masses.

ANUBIS

i think the mac "O' liptick is too pinky and red...this one that im looking for seems more of a brown and burgundy mix

araceli2418

I would like to think so; but I won't be holding my breath. A whole lot of mental re-wiring will have to take place, and then a willingness to put in the time and effort to really care for your real hair will have to happen in the masses.

I could not have said it better! :yep:

Almaz

Nope because as LONG as TYRA has those Busted women putting perms in their baby daughter's heads.

Sadly the Stereotype will STILL prevail

Renewed1

I agree with the sterotype. But when it comes to weaves and extenstions whites and blacks are guilty. But blacks get a bad rap because we are always seen as having short hair or choppy ends, etc. Compared to our white counterparts who already have long hair and the extenstions are just that....extensions.

mstar

Luxury bacon
i think the mac "O' liptick is too pinky and red...this one that im looking for seems more of a brown and burgundy mix
Oh, I guess it depends on the skintone, then...I'm dark, and when I use 'O' with a dark brown or burgundy liner, it looks just like the photo you posted.

Urban Decay used to make a lipstick called Roach--it sounds like what you're looking for. Discontinued, though.

yellow08

This topic will take a lifetime to change...I've come to realize that everyone doesn't care about long hair or healthy hair for that fact! Some women love going to the BS every weekend to get their head "fried, dyed and laid to the side"....

I've shared this forum with friends and they still chose what they chose. Some have started caring, others not so much. Also, hair isn't as big of a deal for some AA women. IMO, it is what it is!

Lastly, most of us on here just got "educated" so how do we expect everyone to jump on the cowash, DC'ing, henna, essential oils, tex-laxing, stretching, protective styling, etc...bandwagon when it's fairly new to US!!!(that is why everytime someone finds a "new" old product (i.e. L'Occitane hair conditoner, Aubrey Organics, etc...) everyone taps into their inner PJ :grin: Compared to generations of nappy hair = bad hair, short hair won't grow mentality)...

So basically, let's stop getting so annoyed or frustrated that others haven't "seen the my hair can grow long too light" it's takes TIME!!!!

Last edited:

ceebee3

I'm not sure. It would take a while before the masses caught on. Most people only go by standards portrayed in the media. So I guess when healthy natural or relaxed hair is displayed more prominently, more people will start to take better care of their hair.

msa

The only stereotype I'm worried about changing is the nappy=bad mentality. Everything else, eh, I'm not too interested.

If someone I know is talking about wanting long hair but they don't know how to get it, then I tell them about retention techniques. Other than that, I keep it moving.

SleekandBouncy

Honestly, I don't really care.
There are issues where I am very "causey". Meaning I'm concerned with how my role can help/hurt other black ppl collectively, but this is not one of them.

I really couldn't care less whether Beth Ann or Maria Gonzalez think that I can grow my hair long like them or whether my hair has bounce like them. I like my hair and everyone else's POV is irrelevant. I don't need their validation (not to say others do). The things that matter IMO are equal pay, representation in certain forms of media, the end to institutionalized racism and racist employment practices, etc.. I care about BW loving themselves as BW.