RANT: I bought a Pibbs 514 and it's still taking more than 2 hours to dry!!!

I worked PT @ Sally for a couple years. Word of advice, get your Pibbs from somewhere else! :nono:

Yes, OMG!!! I've had the worst customer service experience from them. They are so old fashioned and slow in their ordering process and they sent me two broken Pibbs dryers! I did decide that I'm going somewhere else once I get my money back.

What's the deal with Sally's? Are they using secondhand products?

Does it get really hot? Maybe that is the problem. Mine doesn't and I made the mistake of letting the year go by without aggressively trying to contact Tony from Imperial Sales to replace it. My guess is its now out of warranty and I am just stuck with it. Mine doesn't get nearly as hot as the one at the salon (its a 512 I think because its white). I sent several emails and never got a reply. I doremember someone on this forum posted that hers wasn't very hot and she did something to it and got it to get hot. I'll have to search for it.

Yes, it does got hot and affected my skin, but it didn't dry my hair. I also didn't notice the whole "upward heat flow" action either.

I have a Pibbs 514 as well. It takes me approx. 1hr. 20 mins. on 50 to dry completely.

I got mine through the original Pibbs deal back in January 2008 through Imperial Sales. Tony was the man.

I got mine then as well.. I am dry in 1 hour 5 minutes on 55 degrees.
hair is bra strap. I definitely agree with the others.. I am sorry you got a defective one. :sad:

Do you think I'm using too much product? This is what my stylist does and what Macherieamour does in her rollersetting video only she uses water instead of setting lotion. I intentionally tried to prevent my hair from dripping wet before sitting under the dryer.

Maybe you are using too much of each product that is the problem. I just finished doing a rollerset and only used a quarter size of NTM silk leave-in & water in a spray bottle for dry spots. My MBL curly/texlaxed hair dried straight in under an hour on a cheap Ion hardhat dryer. You might have too much weighing your hair down.

Do you think I'm using too much product? This is what my stylist does and what Macherieamour does in her rollersetting video only she uses water instead of setting lotion. I intentionally tried to prevent my hair from dripping wet before sitting under the dryer.

if the dryer is broken, perhaps you are using too much or its the particular combination of products you are using

my hair takes longer when I use certain products

Maybe you are using too much of each product that is the problem. I just finished doing a rollerset and only used a quarter size of NTM silk leave-in & water in a spray bottle for dry spots. My MBL curly/texlaxed hair dried straight in under an hour on a cheap Ion hardhat dryer. You might have too much weighing your hair down.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I didn't realize I was weighing it down because I'm a slow rollersetter, so by the time I get to the some sections of my head, my hair is almost completely air dried.

If I take a step back and think about it, my stylist uses a lot less of these products (the leave in, serum and setting lotion) when she does it, but she also moves much quicker than I do. She starts by adding a little leave-in and detangling. She may use a little less than a quarter size of heat protectant and totally saturate my hair with setting lotion. After that, she rarely resprays the setting lotion.

I will definitely try using less product; it's worth a shot.

BTW...you and your hair look great!

Last edited:
Update to everyone...I contacted the Pibbs Company directly today, and explained my situation, and they agreed that the dryer may be defective. They are supposed to call me back tomorrow to see about sending a replacement dryer. I haven't talked to Sally's beauty supply yet, but the Pibbs rep was the one who works directly with them, so I think I may be in the clear.

I decided to share that because I've seen other people comment with questions about the Pibbs warranty. The employees there are very kind and helpful (I spoke to three total).

interesting thoughts on the amount of product you're using--I know for sure that my hair takes much longer to dry when I've used an oil or serum. Yes, it dries shiny as all get out but it takes forever as these products hold moisture in the hair.

interesting thoughts on the amount of product you're using--I know for sure that my hair takes much longer to dry when I've used an oil or serum. Yes, it dries shiny as all get out but it takes forever as these products hold moisture in the hair.

I agree that's something to consider. I never knew that the additional products could hold moisture or slow the drying process because I've had stylists rollerset my hair for 8 years now, and they all use these products. Plus, I still don't understand how these things hold moisture, yet my hair is almost fully airdried as I'm rolling my hair (it takes 45-50 minutes total). Next time I'll try to cutback on product.

Supergirl, how does your hair come out when you don't use the oil or serum? I guess my thinking is if you skip it while the hair is wet, couldn't you just add it after the fact to get that shine?

I don't think its the setting lotion either though because setting lotions are formulated to help the hair dry faster (and firmer) in the set. :yep:

Hair that is less porous also tends to take longer to dry. But 1.5 hours under a Pibbs is a bit much :lol: I usually sit under there for 30 mins on 50-ish degrees, and then airdry overnight. It's usually completely dry just after those 30 minutes in most spots. Hope you get your machine traded out okay! :yep:

I agree that's something to consider. I never knew that the additional products could hold moisture or slow the drying process because I've had stylists rollerset my hair for 8 years now, and they all use these products. Plus, I still don't understand how these things hold moisture, yet my hair is almost fully airdried as I'm rolling my hair (it takes 45-50 minutes total). Next time I'll try to cutback on product.

Supergirl, how does your hair come out when you don't use the oil or serum? I guess my thinking is if you skip it while the hair is wet, couldn't you just add it after the fact to get that shine?

It still comes out silky and smooth, a little less weighed down and less sheen but still shiny. When I do use serum, I am usually heavy handed with it, so there's always the option of using it but just using less.

WTH! I got my pibbs from sallys and my rollersets were taking 2 hours. oh well, warranty been over.

I don't think its the setting lotion either though because setting lotions are formulated to help the hair dry faster (and firmer) in the set. :yep:

Hair that is less porous also tends to take longer to dry. But 1.5 hours under a Pibbs is a bit much :lol: I usually sit under there for 30 mins on 50-ish degrees, and then airdry overnight. It's usually completely dry just after those 30 minutes in most spots. Hope you get your machine traded out okay! :yep:

Thanks Sistaslick. You addressed what I was still wondering: if the Pibbs is supposed to be a super dryer, wouldn't it still be able to dry an area that seemed extra wet in a decent amount of time? Keep in mind, I was under there for 2 hours and still damp.

The Pibbs people started the return process with me today. Hopefully I'll have it within a week. They also felt the dryer was defective based on my description. I'm looking forward to getting all of this worked out.

WTH! I got my pibbs from sallys and my rollersets were taking 2 hours. oh well, warranty been over.

Really? I wonder if Sally's could be contributing to the problem. That's why I contacted Pibbs directly this time (just in case).

Do you still use your dryer?

Really? I wonder if Sally's could be contributing to the problem. That's why I contacted Pibbs directly this time (just in case).

Do you still use your dryer?
heck to the no! LOL waste of money IMO. BUT only because Im not an avid rollersetter. I got the dryer with the plans of being a rollersetting somebody!:lachen:. But that didnt work out. The fact that my hair took forever to dry didnt help either. But it could just be my hair. I mean rollersets at the salon-----Id be under the dryer for 2 hours and then they would send me home to finish drying with the rollers in my hair:ohwell:. One time they sent me home after 2 hours and I was under the pibbs for an hour and STILL not done. :wallbash:BTW I only use my Pibbs to DC now. I would honestly say if anyone wants to burn 300 dollars make sure you got rollersetting down pact or whatever set you do so you get your money's worth!!

heck to the no! LOL waste of money IMO. BUT only because Im not an avid rollersetter. I got the dryer with the plans of being a rollersetting somebody!:lachen:. But that didnt work out. The fact that my hair took forever to dry didnt help either. But it could just be my hair. I mean rollersets at the salon-----Id be under the dryer for 2 hours and then they would send me home to finish drying with the rollers in my hair:ohwell:. One time they sent me home after 2 hours and I was under the pibbs for an hour and STILL not done. :wallbash:BTW I only use my Pibbs to DC now. I would honestly say if anyone wants to burn 300 dollars make sure you got rollersetting down pact or whatever set you do so you get your money's worth!!

Thanks for the feedback, ma'am. :yep: I'm definitely a die-hard rollersetter, so I need a good dryer. I'm glad you're at least using it for your DCs so it's not a total waste.

Back