....Cleaning

BLESSED1

.....how often is everyone cleaning their combs and brushes? I was bad about that before I would let mine get very dirty and just buy new ones because I was too lazy to clean them (I know, defeats the purpose of my daily hair washing). But now that I paid $12 for a denman and had to order my k-cutter online, I won't be lazy anymore :grin:

I started cleaning my combs and brushes on a regular basis about a month ago though, I took Daughter's tip in her album about using some leftover shampoo that you weren't too crazy about to clean your tools, helps get rid of old products and cleans so kills 2 birds with 1 stone. My question is I do this every Saturday, is that too much or not enough? And what does everyone else use to clean? TIA :yep:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
either weekly or every 2weeks... i'm not very consistent with cleaning them... it's just whenever they start to look dirty or feel like they are dirty...

Quinny

I "try" to remember to do mine weekly. It is a chore. Shampoo works okay but sometimes mine need a blast from some dishwashing soap. This is primarily when I let them go too long.

Peachtree

I ~ALWAYS~ clean mine after I shampoo. This way my clean hair will not pick up any residue from the tool... But If I'm just doing a conditioner rinse, I usually don't clean the tools... unless they're too dirty to ignore!

I used to use poo to clean my tools... I figured it was "safer" to use... but poo takes longer to break up the dirt (on my brush)... but just a pinch of dishwashing liquid gets the job done FAST!!!! ... & so far, I haven't had any problems :cool:

(( if ur thinking about using dishwashing liquid, only use a TINY DROP & RINSE VERY WELL )) :)

Last edited:
B

ballet_bun

I clean mine everytime I shampoo. But if there's any hair in it, I take that out right away.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I clean mines out once a week basically every time I wash my hair. I just use a little shampoo to clean it out.

dreemssold

mochamadness said:
I clean mines out once a week basically every time I wash my hair. I just use a little shampoo to clean it out.

Yep...same here, except I clean mine twice a week...every time I wash, and with shampoo.

Angelicus

I rarely use a comb and brush, but I usually clean them every couple of days.

I think it is really important to wash accessories (rollers, scruncies, hair pins). I was having a rough time with buildup one time, so I washed my rollers. You wouldn't believe all the gunk that was on them :shocked: So I wash and rinse them regularly also!

BLESSED1

Thanks for the responses ladies! I'll look into using a little bit of dishwashing soap, sometimes the shampoo doesn't get everything out for me. And anky that's a good idea to wash your hair accessories too, my scrunchies get a little grimy from time to time since I've been soaking them in oil and leaving them around the house, picking up dust in the air.

fletgee

I clean my comb every time I shampoo. And I wash about every 3/4 days. I have 4 combs, so there are always at least a few clean at a time.

And yes, I use shampoo I am not crazy about to wash my combs. I wash out my current comb when I am in the shower and put it up to dry then use a clean one to detangle. That comb I use until I wash again.

succeda

my method is really easy. i do this weekly.

i pour some of my body wash on my comb, then i lay it in a small bucket, run some water in the bucket, leave it in there for an hour, take the comb out & rinse it out with water, & it's squeaky clean! :D

Isis

I clean my comb when I wash my hair two times each week. This is when I also clean my satin and silk scarves and satin cap. :)

BLESSED1

Hi Porsche19, how are you styling your hair? Are you fingercombing, and how do you usually wear your hair?

Porsche19

I wear twist-outs. The only time that I comb my hair is after I've washed it (2x per week) otherwise, I finger comb my hair.

IrisDaVirus

I only use wide-toothed combs but I always rinse them thoroughly before and after I use them. I clean them with baking soda about twice a week.

BLESSED1

Hi Iris, are you using a baking soda & water combo to clean? I'm curious because I know there will be a day when I don't have any old shampoo that I don't use left and will need to try something else...don't want to dip into my good shampoo just to clean a comb even though I wouldn't be using a big amount.

IrisDaVirus

BLESSED1 said:
Hi Iris, are you using a baking soda & water combo to clean? I'm curious because I know there will be a day when I don't have any old shampoo that I don't use left and will need to try something else...don't want to dip into my good shampoo just to clean a comb even though I wouldn't be using a big amount.
I usually wipe them clean with a wet cleaning cloth sprinkled with baking soda. Then I rinse them thoroughly with hot water.

Last edited:

BLESSED1

IrisDaVirus said:
I usually wipe them clean with a wet cleaning cloth sprinkled with baking soda. Then I rinse them thoroughly with hot water.
..quick and easy, I like that :yep:

IrisDaVirus

BTW - Here's another helpful tip. Be careful of what products you use because it can make a big difference in cleaning your combs and brushes. I'm a firm believer if a product doesn't rinse from my hair easily, then it won't rinse from my combs easily. So I make sure to use products that rinse well from my hair. That way product buildup on my combs isn't as bad and rinsing/cleaning them isn't much of a hassle. I hope this helps someone out. :)