Does this bother you?

kally

Do you ever wonder how clean the combs, brushes ,etc are that your stylist uses on you? Do they clean them after each use? Have you wondered what was the condition of the head that that comb, brush, etc previously touched? The reason being, I am getting my hair braided and I always bring my own supplies, but sometimes they sneak and use their own, and these are combs that have been on the ground and God knows where else. Does this bother you? I am paranoid that someone had a some type of scalp or hair problem and I might get it.

silvergirl

my mother has a salon. she uses some solution,, cant remember whats its called, but on the bottle its supposed to kill anything, an i do mean anything, the label claims it can kill off hiv?!?! i dont know how true it is.

anyway, combs/brushes at her salon are only used on one customer, then soaked and cleaned in this blue fluid overnight.

thats just her though. i cant tell you what they do at other salons....:look:

sweetwhispers

The hairdressers i have been to have this sterilisation thing they stick the brushes in- its a cylinder filled with some sort of detergent. If not i would just bring my own comb- your the one paying they should do as you say.

M

Miss Nina

Please, I don't trust them to clean their appliances. I remember looking at my hair dresser's roller and it had dirt or some type of gunk on it, and I just made up an excuse and left. Since then, if I have to go to the salon, I bring my own brush, comb, rollers, pins, towel, and plastic cap. I also like to see my stylist wash her hands b4 she puts them in my hair. LOL, yeah, I'm a little crazy, that's why I don't go to the salon anymore, I just do it myself, less stress.

kally

Miss Nina said:
Please, I don't trust them to clean their appliances. I remember looking at my hair dresser's roller and it had dirt or some type of gunk on it, and I just made up an excuse and left. Since then, if I have to go to the salon, I bring my own brush, comb, rollers, pins, towel, and plastic cap. I also like to see my stylist wash her hands b4 she puts them in my hair. LOL, yeah, I'm a little crazy, that's why I don't go to the salon anymore, I just do it myself, less stress.

Girl you got to be like that, especially knowing what you now know about hair.

Cleve_gryl

Oh wow...I've never thought about this at all!! I'm always more concerned with the tools the manicurist uses on me, but never my hair dresser! Mine will always drop a comb while doing my hair and just toss it into the bowl...I never seen him sterilize anything! :eek: I only started cleaning my combs and brushes with clarifying poo and baking soda when I joined lhcf...talk about gunky buildup :ohwell:

PuffyBrown

:newbie:
(sorry this is so long);)
Thatz so true. I learned that yrs ago...from a barber....
I used to wear my hair in military styles (while I was in the service) anyway, one day we got into this conversation about why many black males get the bumps on the back of their heads. Well the barber informed us that the condition is somewhat hereditary but it can be passed along to other people who would not have previously been infected, from the barbers who do not keep their equipment clean and using the same combs for the same clients. He went on to say that women can also be infected by these diseases but it does not show up because women do not get their hair cut like men. In men who contract the disease, the hair starts to grow but it then gets stunted and reverse back into the surface of the skin, causing an infected area that is only relieved by removing the hair folicle that leaves a lesion(scar) in the scalp that never really heals unless the male wears a bald head for several months. For women, we see things like breakage, dandruff, very itchy heads, very sensitive to combs, and easily irritated with hair products. :eek: Uck!!

I like the idea of taking my own product, but I have never done it...I guess because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but....now that I see it who cares...its either protecting my head or risk catching something that I can't easily get rid of like some fleas or something. :creatures:creatures:creatures

Our stylist here in TN are required to have the electrolic lamp in the shop but when I would frequent the salons you really did not see any product with the exception of some tweezers or something like that in it. What I would do was to try to be the first person to come in for the day. That way I can see how the stylists leaves her workstation for the day. If you go in and the combs are not soaking and the clippers in that machine...I am going to have to pass on getting my hair fixed today. That is the truth. I haven't been to the stylist for almost a year because it is not worth it...the work they are doing I am learning it from You Guys! One up...we do a better job than many of the stylists.. I wash my own personal stuf in the washing machine. I put it in a lingeree bag and put vinegar and peroxide in their. I use soap on them once a month but I wash them at least every two weeks if it has been used.

Sorry for being long winded, I am very chatty........:D

Peace

kally

StellaB said:
:newbie:
(sorry this is so long);)
Thatz so true. I learned that yrs ago...from a barber....
I used to wear my hair in military styles (while I was in the service) anyway, one day we got into this conversation about why many black males get the bumps on the back of their heads. Well the barber informed us that the condition is somewhat hereditary but it can be passed along to other people who would not have previously been infected, from the barbers who do not keep their equipment clean and using the same combs for the same clients. He went on to say that women can also be infected by these diseases but it does not show up because women do not get their hair cut like men. In men who contract the disease, the hair starts to grow but it then gets stunted and reverse back into the surface of the skin, causing an infected area that is only relieved by removing the hair folicle that leaves a lesion(scar) in the scalp that never really heals unless the male wears a bald head for several months. For women, we see things like breakage, dandruff, very itchy heads, very sensitive to combs, and easily irritated with hair products. :eek: Uck!!

I like the idea of taking my own product, but I have never done it...I guess because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but....now that I see it who cares...its either protecting my head or risk catching something that I can't easily get rid of like some fleas or something. :creatures:creatures:creatures

Our stylist here in TN are required to have the electrolic lamp in the shop but when I would frequent the salons you really did not see any product with the exception of some tweezers or something like that in it. What I would do was to try to be the first person to come in for the day. That way I can see how the stylists leaves her workstation for the day. If you go in and the combs are not soaking and the clippers in that machine...I am going to have to pass on getting my hair fixed today. That is the truth. I haven't been to the stylist for almost a year because it is not worth it...the work they are doing I am learning it from You Guys! One up...we do a better job than many of the stylists.. I wash my own personal stuf in the washing machine. I put it in a lingeree bag and put vinegar and peroxide in their. I use soap on them once a month but I wash them at least every two weeks if it has been used.

Sorry for being long winded, I am very chatty........:D

Peace

Yuck I see men going around with those bumps and wondered what happened

Glib Gurl

Oh my goodness! I am now totally grossed out - I never even thought of that! The place I go to is pretty on point -- their stylists are professional, they don't eat around the equipment, etc., etc. But I've never seen them wash the combs and stuff. I will have to look out for those cylinder things with the blue cleaner next time.

Okay, now my head is itching. :confused:

Divine Inspiration

When I went to stylists, I used to take my own combs, brushes, etc because even though they're SUPPOSED to soak them, we all know that they don't always do so.

PuffyBrown

Divine Inspiration said:
When I went to stylists, I used to take my own combs, brushes, etc because even though they're SUPPOSED to soak them, we all know that they don't always do so.

I am curious as to what happens when you go in with your own stuff? What is their reaction?

Blackoutzangel05

Wow I never thought about this stuff at all. My hair dresser eats at her station, wipes her hands before putting them in my hair ( I was more concerned about her eating product then my hair) and the the combs are washed with neutralizing shampoo, etc. I see them do this. Don't know how much that is helping though. Thank goodness I am only planning on going to the hair stylist once in a pink moon LOL

PuffyBrown

Blackoutzangel05 said:
Wow I never thought about this stuff at all. My hair dresser eats at her station, wipes her hands before putting them in my hair ( I was more concerned about her eating product then my hair) and the the combs are washed with neutralizing shampoo, etc. I see them do this. Don't know how much that is helping though. Thank goodness I am only planning on going to the hair stylist once in a pink moon LOL

Just my opinion, but it seems to me like she should also be concerned with her own health. I could be dangerous for her to have her food near all of those chemicals not only that, but to put her hands on her food after using the chemical or combing someone's hair.

Just thinking about that. I wonder how many stylist actually wash their hands in between clients?

crlsweetie912

The blue stuff is called barbicide

ALL STYLIST SHOULD HAVE THIS.

There is also this thing that goes in any drawer or rolling cart. A tablet thingie thats a fungicide. I forget the name of it, but it sanitizes equipment as well.

ETA:
Heres the fumigant:
Steri Dri

This stuff is powerful!

Also:
Anybody who is not using these items could and probably should be reported to the board of Health.

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

StellaB said:
I am curious as to what happens when you go in with your own stuff? What is their reaction?

They usually look at me strange the first, but when I insist, they usually go along with it.

I've had a few of them argue me down, and when they did, I simply turned around and left.

I was completely fed up with people detangling my hair with a fine-tooth, seamed comb. :nono: I insisted that they use the JdP to detangle.

To me, this issue is no different than insisting that stylists not trim...either do what I ask or I'm leaving. The End!

kally

When I go Friday. I will be asking how often they clean their tools and looking for that barbicide stuff. I no longer care if I offend them or not. Not knowing could possible cause breakage and other problems. I have worked to hard to get my hair back.

CAPlush

That's why I now only go to chains where there is a manager/owner in charge who I can complain to about lack of supplies and the cleanliness of the place. A stylist with no boss is a no-no for me!

gymfreak336

I was thinking about this the other day when I was scrubbing my combs with dawn soap. The last salon I went to on a regular basis was very clean. They would always clean combs and the would clean their rollers too.