Are the edges of your hairline "long"?

The hair at the edges of my hairline are:

• bald (naturally - just don't grow)

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • bald (because of damage/alopecia/etc.)

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • 1 inch or less

Votes: 98 22.8%
  • between 1-3 inches

Votes: 196 45.7%
  • more than 3 inches

Votes: 90 21.0%
  • I can pull the hair at my hairline into a ponytail.

Votes: 53 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iluvsmuhgrass

My hair is fine and my edges have been relatively short... like 1-3 inches long. Since I've been making sure I'm moisturizing, they're growing out and a majority is at 4 inches and holding lol. My kitchen has always been 1/2 to 2 inches (I'm talking the very edge of the hairline back there) and now that it's growing out, it looks funny and the texture is odd, no matter how much moisture I put on it. I'm wondering if my hairline could be dry due to showers and facial care (soap on the neck and face.) It's gotten alot better since I've started moisturizing more often though.

Um... does anybody have Ashanti's? :look: (really long sideburns)

hillytmj

This is a good topic. I was wondering the same thing since my edges are shorter than the rest of my hair.

kjeneen

80% of my edges are SL rest r a few inches
my kitchen a few inches long

And that's all I needed to hear to know it's a WRAP!!!! If sylver's gorgeous head of hair is having the same effects as most of our own, then I don't know about anyone else but I'm encouraged enough to chalk this one up as no big deal:yep:.

Still, I am glad that you brought this topic up because I'd recently become a little frustrated with my own thin edges and wondered if it were something I was/was not doing to cause it.

kjeneen

Cathy Howse believes that thinning edges are due to chemical treatments gone awry (i.e. relaxers too strong for these areas) and almost tend to agree because my daughter's virgin head has perfectly long and healthy edges which match perfectly with the length of all the rest of her hair. Not one single strand is broken or shorter than the rest.

mahogany_horizons

I can pull mine into a ponytail. I've always had long edges. Then again my hairline almost touches my eyebrows....:lachen:

My hairline goes beyond my eyebrows! Some of it almost touches my chin. Is this what is meant by a long healthy hairline? If so then mine definitely is! If not, then whose hairline is AS LONG as the rest of their hair. I'm not sure if it's meant to be that long.

Arcadian

My edges around the front are about 3-4 inches (except that one spot that's always bald, I don't worry about it though) So much shorter than the rest of my hair. At the temples its a totally different story because its a little past collar bone (them ain't edges right?)

-A

kblc06

My hairline goes beyond my eyebrows! Some of it almost touches my chin. Is this what is meant by a long healthy hairline? If so then mine definitely is! If not, then whose hairline is AS LONG as the rest of their hair. I'm not sure if it's meant to be that long.

I think what she means is that her actual hair line starts right above her eyebrow ( or I maybe misreading you post:drunk: I'm sorry if I am). Have you ever seen people (usually of Indian descent) who has fine, visbal facial hair that extends the entire breadth of their forehead from their hairline? With that said..I too have this to some extent :look: and my edges are about 4-5 inches, but does not reach my ponytail. I always have a problem maintaing the length and health of my hair line because 1) It's very fragile and 2) It's a VERY different texture than the rest of my hair.

CurlyMoo

Re: Are your edges of your hairline "long"?

^^^ what she said. Some parts of their hair are mean't not to grow long

I see these "baby hairs" on all races so I thinks its normal

Yeah those baby hairs are just there to be cute.

MummysGirl

Nope, edges of my hairline are definitely not long... infact the hairs there are fragile and everytime I get a relaxer, they look thin... There was a time when I thought I was going bald :-(

Everytime I stretch my relaxer, as my new growth appears, it looks nice and thicker but still shorter than the rest of my hair. Now that I'm transitioning, I'm hoping to notice the hairs stay thick, I don't mind them being shorter than the rest of my hair as long as I have hair there, LOL!

Last edited:

NikStarrr

Other than my natural "baby hurr" haha, my edges are as long as the rest of my hair. When I was texlaxed and relaxed, my edges weren't quite as long as the rest of my hair, but it wasn't short.

MissNina

Libra Girl
My edges aren't short, definitely not as long as the rest of my hair though. More than 3 inches and they are long enough to be brushed back into my hair, but I never considered them long b/c they aren't as long as my hair.

ETA: I'm relaxed.

Last edited:

sherann

My edges are sparse and thin and they have always been that way. I never brush them and I never apply tension of any kind. I leave the relaxer on for 6 mins or so because they are fragile. But my main problem is that as soon as the relaxer grows out, the hairs form little islands...brushing, gelling, scarf method doesn't work. They only "play" together when they are newly relaxed.

Mizani_Mrs

U know i've ALWAYS had really long edges. they were about 3/4 the length of my hair...never really had any 'baby hair'. But when i was pregnant, i switched from lye relaxer to no-lye and now my edges have broken off... mainly on the 2 sides. As soon as I get a relaxer, i notice they start breaking within weeks. this has been going on for 2yrs and i finally realized what changed. So needless to say... i'm switching back to lye relaxer and hopefully my edges will grow back.

probably doesn't help you Jcoily cause u r natural..but hopefully it'll help someone!!!

Southernbella.

For some strange reason, only the edges on the right side of my head are a problem. I dont' know it it's because I sleep on that side or what, but when my hair is pulled back, I can tell the difference. I'd say the edges on that side are between 1 and 3 inches.

Southernbella.

Cathy Howse believes that thinning edges are due to chemical treatments gone awry (i.e. relaxers too strong for these areas) and almost tend to agree because my daughter's virgin head has perfectly long and healthy edges which match perfectly with the length of all the rest of her hair. Not one single strand is broken or shorter than the rest.

My dd is natural and never relaxed, and her edges are short, but I always chalked it up to me brushing her hair into buns and ponytails. She's in cornrows now because that she still has baby hair, so she's got that halo going on.

Dogmd

My dd is natural and never relaxed, and her edges are short, but I always chalked it up to me brushing her hair into buns and ponytails. She's in cornrows now because that she still has baby hair, so she's got that halo going on.

my dd has edges that are short too and she is natural and never has been relaxed. . i too brush her hair up into ponytails daily. don't know what else to do. I was looking at her head today. she too has the halo thing going on southernbella.

Nice Lady

I am wondering if short edges have anything to do with the fact that we wash our faces with facial washes such as Neutrogena, Clinque, etc. to cleanse our faces and sometimes some of it gets onto our baby hairs. Prior to starting my hair journey, I would do a lot of this and I began to realize that I need to wear either a shower cap or my satin bonnet when washing my face to prevent the soap from getting on the hairs.

Kiki82

Mine are short too, but I do believe that it has the ability to grow. After all, hair is hair. What I've noticed is when I moisturize my hair I often times don't put any moisturizer on that part of my hair. So if it is short maybe there is a reason why Ex: facial soap, sweat, brushing too much, tight ponytail, gel.. etc...etc

Kiki82

*Michelle*

My question is how far into your hairline is "edges"? The first 1/4 inch into my hairline is considerably shorter than my hair...it is about 5-6 inches long. I always thought everyones hair was shorter around there...LOL!

baby42

WHAT EDGES? LOL i mean i have enough to cover so it dont look bad. i am trying to baby them but it soft and look little baby hair but i know better.but i can wear a pony tail in the back

Last edited:

SoCalli

I can pull my edges into a ponytail, but my sister has the same situation you do. She can't, and she hates her edges. They never grow and mess up her ponytails. I think it is just genetic. She gets it from my mother. The only thing that helps is gel, which she doesn't want to use when her hair is straight. She has bangs, and this makes her hair look better when pulled up. Otherwise, she just keeps it down and straight or wear it in its natural state with gel to keep the edges down.

ETA: I don't think wrapping her hair or brushing them are causing her edges to be short like that. I really think it is just genetic. She has thick hair, and it doesn't break as easily as mine does.

Mad Scientist

I can pull my edges and the hairs at my nape into a ponytail. (Or I could when I could get my hair into a ponytail.) Most people I know do have "baby hair" though. Some of my Indian friends actually remove it.

RedVelvet310

My edges are "long" except for some really straight baby hairs on the sides. I don't even think I have a hairline though just a big fivehead and then the hair starts. (Totally skipping these "edges")

Avaya

I just assumed I had breakage. I never considered that the hair along the hairline grows differently. I've read too that the fact that we wash our faces daily, getting cleanser on the hairline, keeps it dry and can cause breakage if you're not careful.

My edges are about 3 inches long. My widows peak if finally growing too. It was just a little tuft of hair for the longest. Now it is about 2 inches long. My side burns are about 1/2 inch (thank goodness - don't want no "poke" chops!).

leona2025

My edges are pretty thick and always have been. They are about 1 to 3 inches long right now, but they use to be less than half an inch and I think that was due to tight ponytails and the way I use to handle my hair. I'm relaxed, but my sideburns are natural:lachen:. My mom is always asking why I don't relax them. They are 1 maybe 2 inches long now and I can definitely slick them up into my hair. They grow really fast. I accidentally cut them off like 2 months ago and they've grown back nicely. They have been as long as 3 or 4 inches. The perimeter of my hair is shorter. My nape is about 3 to 5 inches and it use to be maybe 1 inches, so it's growing, just slooooooooowly.