Phony ponies and hair edges

Blackbird77

I'm glad so many are doing the phony pony thing like myself. I've got a question, though. How do you keep the edges neat without doing a lot of brushing? I'd hate to have longer hair but seriously thin edges. I've been trying to brush my edges straight after wetting them and using American Crew hair pomade. This is the best stuff I've used. I find that on the second or third day, I have to wet/brush/pomade my edges again before covering them with a scarf before going to bed at night. Sometimes just smoothing down with my fingers before putting the scarf on doesn't always work. I'm natural and my hairline is a major issue for me. It's not the same texture as the rest of my hair and I believe it may be a 4a. The rest is 3c or something like that. It's not a problem at all getting my edges to look lay down but there has to be a better way to do it. How do y'all deal with your hairlines?

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

I don't think brushing ever 3 or 4 days would kill your edges. Elasta QP glaze is a necessity for me cause it gets those little stray edges straighter than nobody's business. Then I quickly tie my scarf and as soon as I get in the house in the evenings, that scarf is back on. HTH.

Cheleigh

Blackbird77 said:
I'm glad so many are doing the phony pony thing like myself. I've got a question, though. How do you keep the edges neat without doing a lot of brushing? I'd hate to have longer hair but seriously thin edges. I've been trying to brush my edges straight after wetting them and using American Crew hair pomade. This is the best stuff I've used. I find that on the second or third day, I have to wet/brush/pomade my edges again before covering them with a scarf before going to bed at night. Sometimes just smoothing down with my fingers before putting the scarf on doesn't always work. I'm natural and my hairline is a major issue for me. It's not the same texture as the rest of my hair and I believe it may be a 4a. The rest is 3c or something like that. It's not a problem at all getting my edges to look lay down but there has to be a better way to do it. How do y'all deal with your hairlines?

Maybe you can also buy a phony pony that matches your natural texture more--I have one that is more like a braidout pony, so that I don't have to try to get my edges so straight looking (my hair waves when I pull it back). To pull it back, I usually add IC Fantasia (clear or blue) to very wet, detangled hair, smooth it back, and if needed, add a scarf until it dries.

Blackbird77

Cheleigh said:
Maybe you can also buy a phony pony that matches your natural texture more--I have one that is more like a braidout pony, so that I don't have to try to get my edges so straight looking (my hair waves when I pull it back). To pull it back, I usually add IC Fantasia (clear or blue) to very wet, detangled hair, smooth it back, and if needed, add a scarf until it dries.

That's a thought. Now it's just a matter of finding one. My hair waves when I pull it back, too. But after a day or two I have to deal with the fuzz factor. I'll see if I can find a braidout pony this week.

Blackbird77

crlsweetie912 said:
I don't think brushing ever 3 or 4 days would kill your edges. Elasta QP glaze is a necessity for me cause it gets those little stray edges straighter than nobody's business. Then I quickly tie my scarf and as soon as I get in the house in the evenings, that scarf is back on. HTH.

Me too!:lol: It gives my edges some more time to "marinate".:lachen:

MissFallon

Cheleigh said:

I do the same thing with the fantasia shine gel. U can use a fine tooth comb and it works good too (tried it for the first time this morning). In the mornings I apply gel and then pull it back with my hands and then put the scarf on until I'm ready to put the ponytail on and walk out the door.

MissFallon

Blackbird77 said:
That's a thought. Now it's just a matter of finding one. My hair waves when I pull it back, too. But after a day or two I have to deal with the fuzz factor. I'll see if I can find a braidout pony this week.

Curly phony ponies like the one in my june fotki blend better with wavy hair in the front especially if u are 8+ weeks post.

Cheleigh

Blackbird77 said:

Try www.hairsisters.com. I'm buying my next ones from them--they have lots of afro/coily/curly textured ponytails. The one I bought from the BSS is great, but it doesn't match my color, so I need a lighter one.