Creme for Braidouts?

spellinto

Hi ladies :hiya: I have thick, porous relaxed hair that loses it's braidout definition throughout the day. It feels soft but basically poofs out after a few hours. Are there any thick curling creams you all would recommend that could keep my hair moisturized and defined for a longer period of time?

Mousses and moisturizer alone don't seem to be enough! Also I do not like braiding on wet hair because a) detangling & styling on wet hair is disasterous for my hair type b)it takes waaay too long to dry and c)it frizzes up as it dries anyway.

Have you ever used Roux's Porosity Control conditioner? That helps a lot, I've found, with porous relaxed hair. And then for stylers do you object to parabens/mineral oils? Or shea butter? Because once you moisturize, and at least temporarily manage your porosity, sealing it in will be super easy and you should get much better braidouts.
Some recommendations:
*Vegetable Shortening (seriously :) )
*Raw shea butter/ whipped shea butter with castor oil
*Oyin Handmade's Whipped Shea Butter
*Qhemet Biologics Aethiopika Butter
*Grease (Blue Magic/DAX etc)
OR one of these mixed with a little bit of your favorite gel. You should probably err on the stingy side with these products because you don't want a greasy mess. But I've found this technique works really well for porous relaxed hair.
HTHs! :)

I stand by Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel. It is the most perfect curl cream I have used to date. This is my staple creamy styler for braidouts ;)

spellinto is your hair wet enough when you braid it? I find that when I try to do a braid out without sprinting each section enough prior to adding the creme my hair will get poofy throughout he day......the flip side is make sure it is dry before you take it down

spellinto is your hair wet enough when you braid it? I find that when I try to do a braid out without sprinting each section enough prior to adding the creme my hair will get poofy throughout he day......the flip side is make sure it is dry before you take it down

syncerelyhis: I used to spritz each section with water (never soaking wet though), but my hair has a high porosity which means that the water just evaporates and my hair becomes poofy again. This is why I'm looking for a heavier cream that can put in a lot of moisture and hold that won't easily evaporate in a short amount of time.

I'm gonna play devils advocate here and suggest that maybe it's not a heavy cream that you need. To make those braid-outs last, you will need something with a little bit of hold.

In addition to working on your porosity, there is a great product by Curls called
Curl Gel-les'c - Curl Serum/Gel

and also

Curls Goddess Glaze - Curl Gel

Goodness I dislike that company, but the hair product is good for setting "natural" styles.

It seals in the moisture and gives a little hold. It's a jelly like liquid that acts like a serum and a gel.

Camilla Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter is my favorite for braidouts and I love the smell. I've used it on both wet hair and dry hair with really good results.

Back