Daily Co-Washing vs. Weekly Rollersetting

Which is more conducive to faster hair growth?

• Total voters
I have recently started co washing daily (for the past month) and I have noticed a change in my hairs health. It retains A LOT more moisture and I don't have nearly as much breakage as I used to when I wore it straight. I dont detangle with a comb daily, I just run my fingers through my hair after I apply giovanni direct or Africas best mayo. Its really helping my hair so I vote COWASH.:grin:

I think I'm addicted to co-washing. I'll probably rollerset once or twice a month... depends on how I feel that day. But, I live in Miami... and IT IS HOT... so... it' probably in the best interest of my hair to do the co-washing as much as possible.

I too have realized that cowashing daily helps my hair retain moisture. I used to wash every other day (poo/co), but for the past week i have been just cowashing and it has much better results.

I've been doing Daily CO-Washes for almost 4 months.
I'm thinking of changing my regimen to weekly Rollersetting.
WHY?
Because I have to detangle my hair everyday in the shower,
I could be losing a lot of hair. If I did the rollerset I wouldn't
need to comb everyday and I can't do the twist or braidout thing...so...

Which method do you think is more conducive to
faster hair growth... Daily Co-washes or Weekly Rollersetting???

it looks like the co-washing has been working for you girlie. so if it ain't broke!!!!! unless you don't WANT to cowash daily anymore. then i'd say go ahead and switch over. rollersetting works for me though, i usually wash and set twice a week and I've been retaining length...

I tried the daily co-washing, but it was just too much manipulation for me. The detangling and such involved is just too much for me.

Weekly rollersetting may not "promote" growth, but may help RETAIN growth which is key.
This is what works for me.

I only do frequent CO washes when it's really hot and humid and I don't mind walking around with wet hair. In France that's hardly ever, so usually on holiday in a tropical climate.

I think I'm addicted to co-washing. I'll probably rollerset once or twice a month... depends on how I feel that day. But, I live in Miami... and IT IS HOT... so... it' probably in the best interest of my hair to do the co-washing as much as possible.
When I visit my parents in Ft. Lauderdale, I CO wash every day or every other day too. Your hair is pretty so carry on doing what's best for you

Since my hair isn't even close to straight, trying to rollerset would be hazardous for its health :nono: My hair likes frequent cowashing, but I only detangle every four days or so. I can't go longer or the shed hair will knot and tangle.

You can also promote scalp stimulation with a massage...so in effect it is the massage that happens when you co-wash not the actual co wash itself.

Weekly rollersetting may not "promote" growth, but may help RETAIN growth which is key. Seems like the OP has been successful with daily co-washes.

For me I do a scalp massage every nite and a weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) poo/con. I truly believe in KISS! It's effective for my hair...

Sometimes, I just wanna scream "STOP DOIN' TO MUCH!" LOL But I guess it works for some...
Exzactly:yep:. I do co-wash once a week in the summer but my beef with frequent co-washing is that i don't know how much hair is going down that drain. My finr hair dosen't do good with that much manipulation.

Exzactly:yep:. I do co-wash once a week in the summer but my beef with frequent co-washing is that i don't know how much hair is going down that drain. My finr hair dosen't do good with that much manipulation.

ITA. Also, I don't think co-washing has to be daily, it can be weekly or every 2 or 3 days or whatever. You could still co-wash and rollerset weekly, it's all in what works for your hair . . .

Well, I've decided to stick with the daily co-washing
Not too much manipulation for me because I don't
use combs... I don't know if I'd even call it a wash...
I do "CONDITIONER RINSES"... I just wet my hair
put some Suave Humectant in it... leave in for 5 mins.
and then rinse out... I don't agitate it, massage it,
or comb through it... works for me... I'm transitioning
and last time I did a rollerset my hair shed like crazy...
so I cut that it... I will do it once every three months
for progress pics... but that about it.

Well, I've decided to stick with the daily co-washing
Not too much manipulation for me because I don't
use combs... I don't know if I'd even call it a wash...
I do "CONDITIONER RINSES"... I just wet my hair
put some Suave Humectant in it... leave in for 5 mins.
and then rinse out... I don't agitate it, massage it,
or comb through it... works for me... I'm transitioning
and last time I did a rollerset my hair shed like crazy...
so I cut that it... I will do it once every three months
for progress pics... but that about it.

Yep, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :yep: I just couldn't DO that to my hair every day, waay to much work and i'm waay too lazy and my weekly efforts seems to be working . . .

For my relaxed hair i would say the rollersetting is more beneficial. My hair would snap crackle pop if I cowashed daily b/c airdrying is not my friend and I would not want to use heat everyday. Rollersetting gives me the option of wearing my hair super curly for a week or straight depending on the roller size. If it's straight I can still comb thru it during the week when dry w/o breakage. If it's curly I don't have to comb thru it.

Most of my natural or texturized friends cowash either daily or 1x wk b/c it's easier for them to detangle n comb thru their hair when it's wet with a bit of conditioner. They then usually pull their hair back, wear it down, or braid it up. Since you are transistioning and have 6 months of new growth going forward rollersetting would not be a good idea for you. It might lead to more breakage bcs you would be maniupulating your hair more.

I don't think the style matters as much as keeping manipulation low. I can cowash w/o much manipulation too. It's working for me. :yep:

For me since im relaxed weekly rollersetting is the best thing since sliced bread. When I was texlaxed cowashing worked better for my hair. I tend to think that straight hair or hair that is chemically straighten is happier when kept straight, whereas natural and or texlaxed hair is happier when kept with some curl or kink to it.

I don't think the style matters as much as keeping manipulation low. I can cowash w/o much manipulation too. It's working for me. :yep:

Ditto for me... I can co-wash with NO MANIPULATION.
If hair is going down the drain it's probably from shedding
and shedding happens... yeah... I think you really have to
be skilled at knowing your hair and it's limits if you're going
to do daily co-washing though it's not rocket science... it took
a lot of trail & error for me to get to the level I am now...
but I was determined that it would work and it does... I'm
a co-washing maniac and I've even taught people off the board
how to do it properly... and they love it!
Nothing against rollersetting... it's getting cold...
and I will probably move to the weekly wet set if
the wet hair becomes an issue.

But, I have come to the conclusion that because
daily co-washes do have the daily scalp stimulation factor
provided by shower head... it is probably more conducive
for faster hair growth FOR ME!

So it's really an issue as it
always is... what works for you and your hair.
The only way to know is to try it by trial & error...
as I said before it took me awhile before I
fully understood the process of co-washing and
how I could do it without manipulation.

Last edited:
I have co-washed daily almost exclusively since December 2006. The tangles were difficult until I learned some tricks.

Things I did to make it better were:

I relaxed my hair texlaxed to make it straighter and less prone to tangles.
I also detangle regularly by gently run my fingers throught my ends to remove the shed hairs that cause tangles.
I also put my hair in a plait when co-washing to avoid tangling. This helps big time.
Use a moisturising conditioner that allows your hair to soften.

I have maintained my length and I think it's because of the constant moisture from daily co-washing.

Last edited:
I have co-washed daily almost exclusively since December 2006. The tangles were difficult until I learned some tricks.

Things I did to make it better were:

I relaxed my hair texlaxed to make it straighter and less prone to tangles.
I also detangle regularly by gently run my fingers throught my ends to remove the shed hairs that cause tangles.
I also put my hair in a plait when co-washing to avoid tangling. This helps big time.
Use a moisturising conditioner that allows your hair to soften.

I have maintained my length and I think it's because of the constant moisture from daily co-washing.

I'm going to try the co-washes. I don't have a problem with growth, I have a problem with retaining length. And I think that the co-washes would be good because it would keep my hair soft and moisturized, so the ends won't break off as much.

The vitamins can help with the shedding :yep: Vitamins like Iron, Biotin, and Zinc.

Question; what are some of the products you ladies are using to co-wash with? I think that would make a difference as well in how daily co-washing could or would be harsher on your hair.

Some conditioners are better than others. Not all conditioners work the same :nono:

Question; what are some of the products you ladies are using to co-wash with? I think that would make a difference as well in how daily co-washing could or would be harsher on your hair.

Some conditioners are better than others. Not all conditioners work the same :nono:

I use suave humectant, i ordered nexxus humectruss but i dont see a big difference so after this jug ill be going back to my 2.00 suave humectant!

Also I cowash everyday. It stimulates and cleans the scalp and if you add peppermint oil the scalp massage feels sooooo good. I have never done a rollerset and probably never will. It looks long and involved and I cant sit under a dryer at home for 2 hours unless im asleep!! ill leave that to the stylists (the one thing I will leave to a stylist!)

I'm transitioning, and with this thick hair. Weekly co washing is the most I'm willing to do. But reading through this thread is making me want to try it a little closer together.

Hmmm, Maybe I'll give myself a every-other day cowash challenge for the month of november. Now that the weather is finally getting colder and the heat is on in the house. I know my hair will need more moisture.:yep:

Daily co washing has worked wonders for my hair. I don't detangle every co-wash though i only detangle 1 time a week when i wash/DC/flatiron

I don't have to comb my hair every day when I co-wash because I keep it in a loose ponytail while just slapping conditioner on it letting it sit and rinsing out when I'm done cleaning myself. And then I bun it back up.

i dont have time for roller setiing, and when i wash everyday my hair really doesnt tangle .... so my "detangling session" is litterally less than a min or two. plus the water pressure and conditioner slip gets rids of whatever minor tangles might be there before i comb my hair through while wet.

I voted for Daily CW. My hair improved it's texture significantly after 5 months of daily conditioning washes. I am also switching to weekly wet sets to see if that will make a difference...now that I know how to do a rollerset properly.

I use suave's Daily moisturizing conditioner. Works really good. Loves it. I use Suave humectant on my 1yr old who is natural(duh). That stuff is really goof on her hair also.

I voted CoWash. I have been using this method for years now. I have always exercised 4-5 days a week since I was 17 (I'm 32 now) . Sweat makes my hair dry and smells really stinky. I have been natural on and off for the last 13 years. Whenever I am natural cowash is the best method. If I decide to relax maybe I will try to rollerset again. Rollersetting on natural 4a-3c hair is a no-no for me. I look like :nono: "oh no she didn't".

I just started doing daily co-washing...and boy has my hair improved...i mean improved within a week of adding this step to my regimen...

Thank you SouthernTease...

i am back transitioning and i have a short cut(it was tapered very low in the back)...and i have fine hair..well it wasnt looking and feeling so nice before i started cowashing....if i would put oil to my scalp my hair by touch you would see the oil on ur hand but in some places i guess with the new growth it was just still dry and had a hard feeling to it..

now that ive started cowashing it seems that my hair is more softer, moisturized, with just air drying and applying a little oil my hair is straight without a blowdryer, and my hair looks 100% better and the ends, and it now looks as if i have enough of hair finally in the back to be able to get it braided without any braids slipping :) ...oh and i dont have that much hair that im losing and thats on my hand or in the comb :)

Back