Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread

greenidlady1

LadyR,
That message was a MIGHTY blessing to me! I have a presentation to give in a few minutes and that gave me exactly the confident peace I needed!
God Bless,
G

greenidlady1

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread- 1/19

January 19, 2005
Companions

I am a companion of all who fear You. —Psalm 119:63

Two men were neighbors—one had opened his heart to Christ and the other had not. The believer witnessed often; the other ignored him.

One day the Christian answered a knock at his door and his neighbor stood before him with a big smile. "I finally did what you said. This morning I opened my heart to Jesus!" The two embraced and cried. Over the years, they supported and prayed for each other, and they became the best of friends. They served together in an effective jail ministry for 25 years.

Fellowship is an essential part of what it means to be a Christian. The psalmist made this strong statement of identification with those who reverence God and keep His commands: "I am a companion of all who fear You" (Psalm 119:63). The Bible has numerous examples of companionship: David had Jonathan. Paul had Silas. Mark had Barnabas. Jesus had His disciples. The churches in Acts were made up of people who stood together in sometimes hostile and difficult circumstances.

The church is a fellowship, a community. Our circle of Christian friends helps us in many ways as we walk together along the path God has laid out for us. They offer just the kind of companionship we need. —Dave Egner

Lord, help us see how much we need each other
As we walk along the Christian way;
In fellowship with sister and with brother,
You will keep us growing day by day. —Hess

Christian fellowship promotes spiritual growth.

pebbles

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread- 1/19

greenidlady1 said:
January 19, 2005
Christian fellowship promotes spiritual growth.[b/]

Amen! There are good people in the church that GOD put there to help see us through our walk with Christ. Don't miss it! :Rose:

greenidlady1

January 20, 2005
If

If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. —John 13:17

A new government regulation will require US foodmakers to list the amount of "trans fat" on the labels of most food products purchased in stores. Trans fat, which has been linked to heart disease, high cholesterol, and obesity, is something most people should limit or avoid altogether. The Food and Drug Administration estimates that Americans could save up to $1.8 billion in medical costs if they reduce their consumption of trans fats.

The key word is if—a reminder that the new labeling information will benefit only those who change their eating habits. It's not what we know but what we do that counts.

After Jesus washed His disciples' feet and told them to follow His example in serving each other, He told them: "A servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them" (John 13:16-17).

In the Bible, we learn what God wants us to do. Obedience moves that knowledge from our heads to our hands in serving others. And not only that—we ourselves are blessed when we obey what God's Word tells us to do. But it all depends on one little word—if. —David McCasland

The blessings of the Lord are known
By those who will obey;
His wisdom, truth, and love are shown
To all who choose His way. —D. De Haan

The way of obedience is the way of blessing.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread - January 20, 2005

Good morning ladies:

Romans 8 (New International Version)

More Than Conquerors

28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[j] who[k] have been called according to his purpose. 29For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all–how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died - more than that, who was raised to life - is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”[l] 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[m] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

greenidlady1

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread- 1/21

January 21, 2005
Say So

Let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. —Hebrews 13:15

Mel Trotter was a drunken barber whose salvation not only turned his own life around but also changed thousands of others. He was saved in 1897 in Chicago at the Pacific Garden Mission, and not long afterward was named director of the City Rescue Mission in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Thirty-five years later, at a meeting at the mission, Mel Trotter was conducting "Say-So" time. He asked people in the crowd to testify how Jesus had saved them. That night, a 14-year-old boy stood up and said simply, "I'm glad Jesus saved me. Amen." Trotter remarked, "That's the finest testimony I ever heard." Encouraged by those words from such an important leader, that teenager, Mel Johnson, went on to become a Christian leader in his own right.

Young Mel was encouraged to say so, and he did. Six little words, followed by an encouraging comment. A testimony and an affirmation led to a life of service for God.

Let's look for opportunities to offer "the fruit of our lips," to tell others that Jesus is Lord and that He saved us. Tell your own salvation story, and ask others to share theirs as well—as a "sacrifice of praise to God" (Hebrews 13:15). Whether we are children, teens, or adults, we who belong to Jesus Christ need to stand up and "say so." —Dave Branon

Tell me the story of Jesus,
Write on my heart every word;
Tell me the story most precious,
Sweetest that ever was heard! —Crosby

The more you love Jesus, the more you'll talk about Him.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Thank you, ladies, for your posts. I have written down a number of passages from here to take with me to work as encouraging reminders throughout the day.:)

greenidlady1

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread - 1/22

January 22, 2005

Against The Flow

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. —Romans 12:2

Two college students in Moorhead, Minnesota, painted a mural on the wall outside their dormitory room. According to USA Today, it showed a school of fish all swimming in the same direction except for a single fish heading the opposite way.

The one fish was intended to be the age-old symbol for Christ. Printed on the picture were the words, "Go against the flow." University officials, arguing that the mural might offend non-Christians, ordered the students to paint over it.

In obedience to our Master, we must be willing to go against the flow of society. As we follow Jesus, our motives, values, and habits are bound to be different from those who are not Christians. That's the way it was in the first century when the pagans were puzzled and convicted by the lifestyle of Christians. Peter wrote, "They think it strange that you do not run with them in the same flood of dissipation, speaking evil of you" (1 Peter 4:4).

When we are marching to the beat of a different drummer, of course we will be out of step with certain aspects of society. This takes conviction, courage, and courtesy. But by God's enabling grace we can be disturbingly different—and effectively different too. —Vernon Grounds

Some will hate you, some will love you;
Some will flatter, some will slight;
Cease from man and look above you,
Trust in God and do the right. —Macleod

When we walk with the Lord, we'll be out of step with the world.

greenidlady1

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread - 1/23

January 23, 2005

Eager For Heaven

The street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass. —Revelation 21:21

My neighbor Jasmine, age 9, was sitting on the front porch with me one summer evening. Out of the blue she started talking about her bad choices and how she needed God's forgiveness. We talked and prayed together and she asked Jesus to be her Savior.

Questions about heaven started pouring out of her: "Are the streets really gold? Will my mom be there? What if she isn't? Will I have a bed, or will I sleep on a cloud? What will I eat?" I assured her that heaven would be a perfect home, and that she would be with Jesus, who would give her everything she needed. She replied with excitement, "Well, then let's go right now!"

The apostle Paul had a heavenly perspective too (Philippians 1:23). His testimony was, "To me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (v.21). He knew that this life was about knowing, trusting, and serving God. But he also knew that life in heaven would be "far better" because he would "be with Christ" (v.23). He wanted to stay here so that he could minister to the Philippians and others, but he was ready to go to heaven at any time to see Jesus.

Jasmine is ready to go now. Are we as eager for heaven as she is? —Anne Cetas

No matter what we learn of God
And of the fullness of His grace,
The picture will not be complete
Until we meet Him face-to-face. —Branon

Those who have their hearts fixed on heaven will hold loosely the things of earth.

greenidlady1

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread - 1/24

January 24, 2005
Goodness And Grace

I have heard of You . . . but now my eye sees You. Therefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes. —Job 42:5-6

A teenager whose father is abusive said to me, "I want to be a good man like my Sunday school teacher and like you, not like my dad."

Knowing his Sunday school teacher, I could certainly agree that he was a "good man," and I was grateful that he also saw me as "good." I do want to be reverent, kind, forgiving, pure in my lifestyle, and obedient to God. But I also know the sinfulness of my own heart and how dependent I am on God's goodness and grace.

The Lord spoke of Job as "a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil" (Job 1:8). Yet after all his trials, Job said, "I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes" (42:6). Even after reflecting on his own goodness (29:1-25), he knew the condition of his heart.

From a human perspective, many people may be described as "good." But God sees the disobedience, selfishness, and hate that lie deep within all of us. He also knows that we have spiritual blind spots. And when He opens our eyes to see ourselves as He does, we understand why a "good man" like Job said he abhorred himself.

Lord, help us to be good but never to lose sight of our sinfulness and unworthiness. Thank You for the forgiveness You offer us in Christ. —Herb Vander Lugt

Teach me, Lord, my true condition,
Bring me, childlike, to Your side;
May I never trust my goodness—
Only in Your grace abide. —Anon.

Even the best people have nothing to boast about.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Ladies,

I'm still here, just been down with the flu since Friday.

Hopefully, I will be back full stream ahead tommorw.

But for today, I'm going to cheat a little:

"This is the Day that the Lord Hath Made I will rejoice and be glad in it" Ps.

greenidlady1

LadyR said:
Ladies,

Get better soon!

greenidlady1

January 25, 2005
God's Delight

When He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them. —Matthew 9:36

A Scottish preacher spoke of evangelism as a fellowship of reconciled, forgiven sinners who don't simply preach but live out their faith. They also offer to others the same reconciliation and forgiveness they have received from God.

The apostle Paul expressed the same conviction: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief" (1 Timothy 1:15). Once a blasphemer and persecutor of Christians, Paul believed that God's mercy was shown to him, the worst of sinners, as an example to other sinners who would later believe on Christ (v.16).

Whenever we testify that God has forgiven us and provided eternal life through faith in Christ, we're declaring that God is a saving God. Yet, when we observe destructive lifestyles among people, it's easy to write them off.

Instead, we should look at them as Christ does. "When He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them" (Matthew 9:36).
Jesus said He came not to condemn the world but to save it (John 3:17). Rather than condemning people, we should say, "Who am I to condemn others, when God has forgiven me so generously?" God delights to use forgiven sinners to reach other sinners. —Joanie Yoder

Love is giving for the world's needs,
Love is sharing as the Lord leads,
Love is caring when the world cries,
Love is compassion with Christlike eyes. —Brandt

To love sinners is to be like Jesus.

JenJen2721

greenidlady1 said:

I love that! Beautiful!

pebbles

LadyR said:
Ladies,

Feel better, LadyR! :kiss:

pebbles

greenidlady1 said:
January 25, 2005
God's Delight

When He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them. —Matthew 9:36

A Scottish preacher spoke of evangelism as a fellowship of reconciled, forgiven sinners who don't simply preach but live out their faith. They also offer to others the same reconciliation and forgiveness they have received from God.

The apostle Paul expressed the same conviction: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief" (1 Timothy 1:15). Once a blasphemer and persecutor of Christians, Paul believed that God's mercy was shown to him, the worst of sinners, as an example to other sinners who would later believe on Christ (v.16).

Whenever we testify that God has forgiven us and provided eternal life through faith in Christ, we're declaring that God is a saving God. Yet, when we observe destructive lifestyles among people, it's easy to write them off.

Instead, we should look at them as Christ does. "When He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them" (Matthew 9:36).
Jesus said He came not to condemn the world but to save it (John 3:17). Rather than condemning people, we should say, "Who am I to condemn others, when God has forgiven me so generously?" God delights to use forgiven sinners to reach other sinners. —Joanie Yoder

Beautiful!! :rosebud:

greenidlady1

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread- 1/26

January 26, 2005
Tried And True

Most men will proclaim each his own goodness, but who can find a faithful man? —Proverbs 20:6

We are often disappointed by the unfaithfulness of people. A family member promises to write, but months go by without a letter. A pastor says he will visit when we are sick, but he doesn't make it to the hospital or to our home. A friend agrees to be there for us in our bereavement but doesn't even call.

Others tell us they will pray for us but quickly forget our need. Someone promises to do an important task for us but never follows through. We ask ourselves, "Who can find a faithful man?" (Proverbs 20:6).

We can do very little about the unfaithfulness of others. But we can do a lot about our faithfulness to others. When we make a promise we must keep it. When we tell someone we will pray for them, we need to follow through and do it. When we proclaim our loyalty and love for others, we can do little things that show them we mean it.

The apostle Paul said that one fruit of the Spirit is faithfulness (Galatians 5:22). God will create in us a steadfast spirit if we take seriously what we tell others we will do for them, and if we follow through.

Ask God to make you a person whom others can count on—a person who is tried and true. —David Roper

Lord, grant to me a faithfulness
In what I say and do
So others will be confident
That I will follow through. —D. De Haan

Faithfulness in little things is a great thing.

greenidlady1

January 27, 2005
"Consumer Christianity"

If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. —Luke 9:23

In his book The Empty Church, historian Thomas C. Reeves says: "Christianity in modern America . . . tends to be easy, upbeat, convenient, and compatible. It does not require self-sacrifice, discipline, humility, an otherworldly outlook, a zeal for souls, a fear as well as love of God. There is little guilt and no punishment, and the payoff in heaven is virtually certain. What we now have might best be labeled 'Consumer Christianity.' The cost is low and customer satisfaction seems guaranteed."

If we were only customers of Almighty God, we could be selective in our faith and reject anything we didn't like. But that's not an idea we get from Jesus. He pointed us to a cross, not to a spiritual check-out counter. He said: "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it" (Luke 9:23-24). Christ died on a cross for our sins, not for our satisfaction. And He calls us to trust in Him, then follow Him with a life of self-denial.

In a world where the customer is always right, it takes radical obedience to God to keep from buying into "Consumer Christianity." —David McCasland

When Jesus said to follow Him
Regardless of the cost,
He promised He would surely give
Much more than would be lost. —Sper

Following Jesus is not always easy, but it's always right.

greenidlady1

Re: Daily Scripture Readings and Our Daily Bread -1/28

January 28, 2005
Ants And Elephant Seals

Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. —1 Corinthians 15:34

Elephant seals spend most of their lives sleeping. Science News magazine reports, "Male elephant seals measure 16 feet from trunk-like nose to flipper, and they weigh about 3 tons. Occasionally, a seal will use a front flipper—incredibly tiny for such a massive creature—to scratch itself or flip sun-shielding sand on its body." Otherwise these huge animals are basically motionless.

The article goes on to state that because they don't eat while on land during the breeding season, they sleep most of the time. Besides scratching, dirt-flipping, or rolling over, these ponderous animals seldom move.

By contrast, the little ant seems tireless as it goes about its industrious work of storing up food for the colony. The writer of Proverbs commends the diligence of the ant, citing her active ways as a model for people who would live wisely.

There's a spiritual lesson here. Christians who pattern their service after the ant get things done for the Lord. But others, like the elephant seal, scarcely move. They seem to be barely alive spiritually, as if they are conserving their energy for some huge effort later on. But the time to get busy for Christ is now, even though our talents may seem insignificant.

Imitate the ant, not the elephant seal. —Dave Egner

Lord Christ, we humbly ask
Of Thee the power and will
With fear and meekness every task
Of duty to fulfill. —Montgomery

Many Christians do nothing, but no Christian has nothing to do.

greenidlady1

January 31, 2005

A Vase Full Of Good Intentions

To him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. —James 4:17

In a Peanuts cartoon by Charles Schulz, Marcie gives her schoolteacher some flowers. Not to be outdone, Peppermint Patty says to the teacher, "I thought about doing the same thing, Ma'am, but I never got around to it. Could you use a vase full of good intentions?"

We've all had intentions of doing something good but then failed to follow through. We may want to make a phone call to check up on a friend, or visit a sick neighbor, or write a note of encouragement to a loved one. But we don't take the time.

Some people know that Jesus Christ is the only way to heaven, and they plan to trust in Him someday. Yet they keep putting it off. They may have good intentions, but that won't bring salvation.

As Christians, we may say that we want to grow closer to the Lord, but somehow we don't make the time to read the Word of God or to pray.

James has some strong words about our problem of not taking action: "To him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin" (4:17).

Is there something you've been putting off? Write that card or letter today. Visit that sick friend. A vase full of good intentions never brightened anyone's day. —Anne Cetas

"I do intend to do Your will"
Is what we often tell the Lord,
But what will honor Him the most
Are deeds of love to back our word. —D. De Haan

Good intentions are no good until they are put into action.

greenidlady1

February 7, 2005
"Soft Time"

When the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law. —Galatians 4:4

After studying the behavior of thousands of cell-phone users, James Katz, a professor of communication at Rutgers University, has concluded that the cell phone has changed the nature of the way we think of time. Researchers now speak of the US as living in "soft time." This term has been coined to describe the thinking of a cell-phone user who calls at 8:20 to say he will be late for the 8:30 meeting, arrives at 8:45, and considers himself on time because he called ahead.

Unlike us, God is always on time. While we may struggle to understand why He doesn't act in world events or in our personal lives as speedily as we think He should, the Bible proclaims the punctuality of the Almighty according to His plan. Galatians 4:4-5 says, "When the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons." And Romans 5:6, "When we were still without strength, in due time [at just the right time] Christ died for the ungodly."

We can trust this same wise and loving God, who has never been late in His eternal plan, to be right on time in every detail of our lives. —David
McCasland

God's thoughts are above human knowledge—
He moves in mysterious ways
To work out eternity's purpose
Through time's short procession of days. —Stiefel

God's timing is always right.

pebbles

greenidlady1 said:
February 7, 2005
"Soft Time"

When the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law. —Galatians 4:4

After studying the behavior of thousands of cell-phone users, James Katz, a professor of communication at Rutgers University, has concluded that the cell phone has changed the nature of the way we think of time. Researchers now speak of the US as living in "soft time." This term has been coined to describe the thinking of a cell-phone user who calls at 8:20 to say he will be late for the 8:30 meeting, arrives at 8:45, and considers himself on time because he called ahead.

Unlike us, God is always on time. While we may struggle to understand why He doesn't act in world events or in our personal lives as speedily as we think He should, the Bible proclaims the punctuality of the Almighty according to His plan. Galatians 4:4-5 says, "When the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons." And Romans 5:6, "When we were still without strength, in due time [at just the right time] Christ died for the ungodly."

We can trust this same wise and loving God, who has never been late in His eternal plan, to be right on time in every detail of our lives. —David
McCasland

God's thoughts are above human knowledge—
He moves in mysterious ways
To work out eternity's purpose
Through time's short procession of days. —Stiefel

God's timing is always right.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

JenJen2721

Greenidlady,

Thank you for continuing to post these. I always can find comfort in knowing that God is always on time! No matter what I'm going through, even when it feels like there's no end in sight. God will always come to the rescue!