Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

aprilbiz

Excuse me if this has been a subject of discussion before, but I have been washing my hair daily (or just about.) I've done this for a couple of years inconsistentley, but just recently did this for the past 4 months and I've noticed accelerated hair growth. Unfortunately, I did not measure the growth. I believe my grew over 1/2" per month though. I have been trying a lot of new things (with the help of everyone here!) to see what products/regimines work best for my hair and perhaps others, especially with relaxed hair. I'll try to get some pics up and measurements as soon as possible, but I was wondering what others thought about daily washing. I actually have not been shampooing the hair all the time, but I have been rinsing it thoroughly with water in the shower. When I do this, I put conditioner and Worlds of Curls activator in my hair, which I leave in and pull it back into a ponytail.

Could daily washing be the secret to hair growth?

Armyqt

Hi Aprilbiz, I definitely think that daily washing is a HUGE contributor to faster hair growth. 1. It keeps the scalp clean and healthy, providing a better growing environment, and 2. Water is the best moisturiser for the hair. You've got a great thing going there so keep it up. It's basically what I do too. I generally rinse my hair about every 2 days. Sometimes everyday, depending on workouts.
Oh and the S-Curl is a must

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Armyqt said:
I generally rinse my hair about every 2 days. Sometimes everyday, depending on workouts.
Oh and the S-Curl is a must

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this!! That s-curl has been a major help in retaining moisture and therefore length.

AZJeepgurl

Daily washing is probably fine unless you have hard water as I do. Then it's definitely a no-no.

Glad you're experiencing great progress! Hope it continues!

AZ

pebbles

I'm with you guys too. I think washing everyday can be very beneficial to the hair. I've started washing my hair everyday this week, and it's been fine for me so far. I dry my hair in a ponytail, but that's o.k for me.

sweetcocoa

AZJeepgurl said:
Daily washing is probably fine unless you have hard water as I do. Then it's definitely a no-no.

Glad you're experiencing great progress! Hope it continues!

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

I have hard water....when I rinse I use distilled water. When I shampoo I use distilled water when I first lather up and then as my final rinse.

Nessa

So it is I am gonna do this then. I want long hair too. But You know come to think of it my brother has done this and he says he was his hair everyday. And that is how is hair grows like wildfire.

But I will do this after I take out my braids.

Thank You
But has anyone else do this and grew long hair. And what is the best shampoo to use. I use Creme of Nature.

pebbles

Hi Nessa,

Cream of Nature is a very good shampoo. Use the one for dry/damaged hair. You should also do a deep conditioning treatment as often as you can. I would suggest every 3 days with heat. The heat causes the cuticle of your hair to swell and the product to be penetrate deep into the hair shaft. Be sure to use a conditioner that is for deep conditioning.

Nessa

Pebbles,

That is right I already use the one for dry/damaged hair. Um could you deeper describe what a deep conditioning treatment is I forgot. But with that condition could I use Mayo and eggs. I heard good choresteral and protein. And what kind of conditioner is good.

pebbles

Hi Nessa,

There are different types of conditioners. There are protein conditioners that you should use once every 4-6 weeks. Example: Nexxus Keraphix, Nexxus Emergencee, Affirm 5 in 1 Reconstructor, Aphogee treatment for dry/damaged hair, Dudley's Hair Rebuilder, just to name a few. These conditioners are all protein conditioners also known as reconstructors. When you use eggs to condition your hair you are using a protein. Proteins can strengthen weak hair but over use can also dry your hair and cause breakage. That's why you should limit their use to once every 4-6 weeks for the maintenance of healthy hair, or to stop extreme breakage.

What you want to use regularly is a moisturizing conditioner. Example: Mizani Moisturfuse, Nexxus Humectress, KeraCare Humecto, just to name a few. These conditioners help to add much needed moisture to afro hair. Black women have dry hair because of the curl pattern of our hair. Type 4 hair is the driest of all hairtypes, so we need all the moisturizing we can get. The more you can moisturize, the better off your hair will be.

What you will need to do is to find the conditioners that your hair responds to the best. It may take some time before you find what works well for you, but don't give up.

The next thing you need to do is to find a moisturizer that you can use once you wash the conditioner out of your hair. If you read through some of the posts,you'll see that there's a lot of different products recommended by the ladies here. You can try Dudley's pca moisture retainer, Elasta qp recovery cream, Elasta qp mango butter, Profectiv BreakFree, Lustrasilk Moisture Max, and the famous S-Curl, just to name a few.

What I suggest you do is to apply a dime size of any of these to your hair after you condition your hair and let it dry. Use a small amount on your hair twice a day to start. You will soon start to see which product works best for you. Again, it's all trial and error. It's a lot of work at first, but it get's easier once you get into the habit of doing it.

Good luck!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I know my hair really likes daily conditioner washes. I moisturize and put my hair in a bun and wrap a scarf around my head. By the time I eat, check out this board
and get dressed (maybe an hour...) I'm good to go!

smylie82

U know, I have always thought this for years. I think that if the scalp is clean your hair will grow faster. Please forgive me if this is ignorant, but this one of the reasons that I think people of other races hair grow faster b/c they wash everyday(3x a wk) and have a clean scalp. I could be wrong. I mean, if I had the time and patience to wash 2x a week I think that my hair would be longer. I give it to u girls who wash more than once a week and have the time to roller set and deep condition. I think a 2x a week washing does make a difference.

keke

Ok now when u said rinse your hair i am thinking u jsut run some water through it and then put some moisture stuff in it then style it up and then go. Or do u mean a wash as in put in shampoo or just condition it then rinse out dry it then moisturize and then style and go? Now that i have no job and no school i'll have more time i can dedicate to my hair.

In the summer i'm thinkin im gonna do more washing to my hair since its gettin warmer and the hair be feelin all icky and stuff from all that sweat. LOL. Aint even gotta work out just walk out on a hot day u'll sweat. hehe.

G

I think it is the key, or one of the keys
Now that it's getting warmer, I'm going to be doing conditioner washes and putting my hair up in a bun daily or every other day atleast. The only two products I'll be using is my Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner and my hot six oil. I'll keep you posted on my results. I'll be doing this for the next 6 weeks and we'll see what happens

sweetcocoa

I'm rinsing every day...but I only use shampoo 3 times a week. I rinse with conditioner and distilled water.

gvsugirl

I wash every 2-4 days with creme of nature shampoo and i rollerset (very time consuming but i dont like how i look in a bun)... and its behaving

ngaa

pebbles said:
Cream of Nature is a very good shampoo. Use the one for dry/damaged hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

wen not usin the no poo method i use the creme of nature shampoo but for normal hair...whats the main difference between the normal one and the one for damaged hair?? wud it make a difference since my hair is natural and generally in good condition coz i'm afraid that it'll make my hair hard since my hair dont lik protein

Crysdon

I'm going to do conditioner washes 3 to 4 times a week in the summer and daily rinses also. I just love the "carefree" hair this season brings.

Lindy

gvsugirl said:
I wash every 2-4 days with creme of nature shampoo and i rollerset (very time consuming but i dont like how i look in a bun)... and its behaving

[/ QUOTE ]

You rollerset every 2-4 days??!!
Girl, you deserve an award
!!! I truly don't know how you do it.

sweetcocoa

Lindy said:
gvsugirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...you definetly deserve an award!
I don't have the patience.

pebbles

Hi ngaa,

Since our hair is the driest and is proned to damage more so than all the other hair types, it's always good to use shampoos that are specifically designed for dry/damaged hair. These types of shampoos are generally better suited to combat the dry condition our hair suffers from.

ngaa

thanks pebbles for the info, i jus hadnt bought the damaged hair formula coz i was afraid it wud contain protein which my hair doesnt seem to lik a lot
i'll get that one next wen i run out of this one which will be a while tho coz i'm usin the no poo at the moment coz i have cornrows and have no idea how to wash them without makin the hair fray all over

jazzyfunknastee

Lindy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

She's like my aunt. That woman rollersets EVERY night. No matter if she's going to bed at 5AM she's up with her mesh rollers and pins. They get mad props for me.

G

i dont wash my hair every day but i do rince it with water daily, and wash it every 3 days.

keke

Now im gonna be washin my hair 2nite and im tryin to decide whether i should go no poo or use shampoo. I have the green/yella bottle of CoN(which did alright w/my hair i didnt notice major moisture i washed it going down cause thats how my head was in the sink thinking thats a good way for the hair to be) i also like this other neutralizing shampoo by Hawaiian Silky and i have some LeKair and Queen Helene cholesterol(Queen works well) so i was wondering IF i were to go no poo 2nite can/do i just put in 1 of the cholesterol hair conditioners and then wash out or should i put in a conditioner that goes along w/a shampoo and THEN put in the cholesterol?

btw last time i washed i shampooed and conditioned and then used ORS hair mayo. Went fine.

I agree with whomever said that it is one of the secrets.
For me, I C/O wash every single day(cause I dont know really how to work with my hair when it isnt wet) AND I take supplements, which really seem to have helped with the health and shine of my hair...not to mention, help it to stay strong as well!