Daily Washing: The Secret to long hair?

karezone

I usually wash and rollerset my hair every 3-4 days. When I was in high school, I washed every three days, but I also blow dried it to death and then fried it with the flat iron every morning. My hair grew, but it was not strong. Right now because it is getting warm outside, I will be doing braid outs. This past week, I have rinsed my hair every night, so that my braid out will look good in the morning. The only things I put on it are infusium 23 and Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil.

RabiaElaine

What exactly is the "no-poo method"

karezone

no poo or conditioning wash method.

Use a cheap conditioner to "shampoo" your hair and then follow with a regular deep conditioner if desired.

pebbles

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
so i was wondering IF i were to go no poo 2nite can/do i just put in 1 of the cholesterol hair conditioners and then wash out or should i put in a conditioner that goes along w/a shampoo and THEN put in the cholesterol?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know much about the no poo method, but my guess would be that you could do it either way.

keke

Oh ok so then it wouldnt seem like too soon/drying if i were to use shampoo again 2nite? Ok good. :^) I have done the no poo method and it came out fine. I think both are good.

RabiaElaine

Thanks for the explanation karezone
I actually used to do conditioner only washes last summer, but I didn't follow with a deep conditioner, I think I'll try doing that again.

JazzAngel

WOW O WOW O WOW I have been saying this for yearsssss and everytime I said this peopele looked at me as if I was crazy. How many times I have said that I noticed that my hair grows more from daily rinsing!

I don't shampoo ever but I do rinse daily sometimes twice a day. Once a week I do a conditioning wash with a bit of lemon. When I rinse I make certain to massage my scalp to remove any sweat and dirt. My hair always suffers when it does not get wet.

Growing up in St. Lucia I rinsed every single day and shampooed on Sundays and my hair was waist length. I remember comming to this country and everyone advised me to stop wetting my hair soo often because it was bad for black hair. From the time I stopped wetting my hair it was down hill for my hair.

When I began wetting my hair I surpassed the shoulder length. My hair never seemed to pass my shoulders for years untill I began to rinse daily. water is moisture and we need it.

Plus could that be one of added reasons that people of other ethnic groups grow longer hair?

sweetcocoa

JazzAngel said:
WOW O WOW O WOW I have been saying this for yearsssss and everytime I said this peopele looked at me as if I was crazy. How many times I have said that I noticed that my hair grows more from daily rinsing!

I don't shampoo ever but I do rinse daily sometimes twice a day. Once a week I do a conditioning wash with a bit of lemon. When I rinse I make certain to massage my scalp to remove any sweat and dirt. My hair always suffers when it does not get wet.

Growing up in St. Lucia I rinsed every single day and shampooed on Sundays and my hair was waist length. I remember comming to this country and everyone advised me to stop wetting my hair soo often because it was bad for black hair. From the time I stopped wetting my hair it was down hill for my hair.

When I began wetting my hair I surpassed the shoulder length. My hair never seemed to pass my shoulders for years untill I began to rinse daily. water is moisture and we need it.

Plus could that be one of added reasons that people of other ethnic groups grow longer hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl you don't have to convince me...I agree with you 100%!!
I and another lady in my office with bra strap length relaxed hair rinse daily(or nightly). My only regret is that I didn't start sooner!

Titansgirl

I totally believe that daily washing or rinsing definitely has helped my hair grow. Last year when I was just doing a braid-out and spraying my hair to keep it moist, my hair grew about 3 inches in 6 months. That wasn't normal for me... Now I'm back to misting my hair and rinsing or CO washing every other day...

karezone

we as black women need to get over our fear of water. I have my hair has never looked and felt so good. Unless, I do braid outs, I won't be able to rinse every night, but if your scalp can breath then it should encourage growth. I might try daily rinsing for the summer.

marabou1

Hi Sweetcocoa:

You mentioned that someone you know rinses their hair everyday and their hair is relaxed. I'm considering rinsing my hair on days I go to the gym, but I'm concerned about hairstyles.

How does your friend wear her hair when it dries? I'm guessing that if I were to do rinsing more often, I would have to wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time. Is this correct?

This question is also for anyone else who may know the answer.

Thanks.

sweetcocoa

marabou1 said:

Hi Sweetcocoa:

You mentioned that someone you know rinses their hair everyday and their hair is relaxed. I'm considering rinsing my hair on days I go to the gym, but I'm concerned about hairstyles.

How does your friend wear her hair when it dries? I'm guessing that if I were to do rinsing more often, I would have to wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time. Is this correct?

This question is also for anyone else who may know the answer.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes she does. She wear them in a variety of styles...sometimes she does one braid down the back,
or she loops it and secures it at the base.
Today she has it(a ponytail)pulled to one side.
She has alot of different hair pins, ponytail holders and combs....

Tonya

Last summer a did washes every 2 days and I got alot of growth I think I am going to start back with that this summer to get my hair to bra strap length by the new year.
Can I still rinse even though I have cornrows? I ahve been straying them with glycerin braid spray and S curl. I am oiling my scalp with castor oil.

AFashionSlave

What kind of hair styles do you guys wear if you guys are rinsing your hair every day? My hair is a mix between 4a/4b with some patches of 3C. I wear my hair in twist-outs so my hair looks all one texture. I do not have the time to twist up my entire head every couple of days. My twist-outs last about 5 days.

Does anyone have any styling options for natural hair with a daily rinse?

diamoness

When I do conditioner washes, I wear my hair in a wet bun, with a fonytail covering it. My hair normaly stays damp for the rest of the day.

lala

Years ago I used to wash my hair everyday or at least dampen it. I didn't know about conditioner washes then. My hair was manageable and I rarely had a dry scalp or flakes.

I was told by some of my relatives that I was going to wash all of the natural oils out of my hair and that I was not white, so what did I think I was doing?

G

So what do you do with it once you wash it or rinse it?

I think drying and styiling everyday would kill me.

ms_kenesha

I'm gonna have to start doing this because I'd really like to boost my growth rate as well as boost my washes for summer time anyway. I think I'll use twist or braidouts as my drying and styling methods while I do this! Thanks for the info

Faith

You know I think this may actually work. I remember summer of 2001, I was washing 2x/week and my growth was about 1/2" to 3/4" per month. Last summer I only got about 1/4" per month, I not saying it's 100% connected but I was only washing every 2-3 weeks (usually 3 weeks). Hmmm, I guess I'll start it ASAP....2-3x/week.

Nessa

I can't wait to do this. But you know do you put anything during the day. You just wash your hair and leave it with nothing on it? Just want to know.

Faith

What I'm going to do is do the no poo and then the next day spray it with scurl and apply some of my proven oil mix on my scalp. 1x a week I'll do a hot oil treatment beforehand.

Nessa

So people put something in their hair after washing.
I have cornrows too tonya, I am asking the same thing.
Too me yeah I thnk it would mess up. But I need to hear from someone else.

foxybronx

Thanks for starting this thread aprilbiz, i am going to do this this summer! What are the majority of you who are going to do this going to do? Daily washing with shampoo, daily rinsing with just water, or CO washes (conditioning only)..