Darn that Chris Rock!!

brittanynic16

So I got my first "I am trying to compliment you but I really just insulted you without know it" comment yesterday.

My co worker who is an Asian male says...

Him: I just wanted to tell you that I really like your hair and I think you are doing a good job

Me: :drunk: Thank you. If I get a compliment from you I must be doing something right. LOL (we barely speak).

Him: Yeah I saw that movie Good Hair and I know how hard it is to take care of that hair.

Me: *Speechless*:perplexed

I can't stand Chris Rock. :lol:

How hard it is to say a simple compliment? Just say that my hair looks nice. DOn't say your hair looks nice, is that fake? Don't say your hair looks nice, how much did that cost? Say "YOUR HAIR LOOKS ****** SPECTACULAR."

Wow you like my hair

Is it true that Asian man have VERY small penises Wow just wondering
You must have a vagina I have a Douchbag with your name on it
Heheheheeh

lol. thats nothing. right after the movie came out i was still rocking my braids. (i was still growing out my natural hair). and this particular hairstyle took up a lot of hair and i had it in a huge bun in the back of my head. i'm walking to my car and this white guy is walking behind me and goes, "wow, that's a lot of hair, it's nice." i say"thank you." before the words were even out of my mouth he asks "is it all yours?" i'm so taken aback i didn't even think to get offended right away. i kind of stammered "no." with a confused look on my face. i mean who asks that?! plus its BRAIDS! it's clearly not real. and he goes "i didn't think so." then he follows up with "i saw 'good hair' i know a lot of black women wear weaves."

i was :shocked: then :angry2: while he skipped away happily without a care in the world :nono:.

WOW! I don't know how I would react in any of these situations you all shared...taken aback and speechless would probably be it.

I guess I just walk around with a MEAN don't FUG with me look on my face cause people don't approach me this way.

lol. thats nothing. right after the movie came out i was still rocking my braids. (i was still growing out my natural hair). and this particular hairstyle took up a lot of hair and i had it in a huge bun in the back of my head. i'm walking to my car and this white guy is walking behind me and goes, "wow, that's a lot of hair, it's nice." i say"thank you." before the words were even out of my mouth he asks "is it all yours?" i'm so taken aback i didn't even think to get offended right away. i kind of stammered "no." with a confused look on my face. i mean who asks that?! plus its BRAIDS! it's clearly not real. and he goes "i didn't think so." then he follows up with "i saw 'good hair' i know a lot of black women wear weaves."

i was :shocked: then :angry2: while he skipped away happily without a care in the world :nono:.

omg!!!......

lmao. Awww, it sounds innocent, if I were an "other", I'd be just as confused and bewildered by what is going on atop ""non-others"" heads.

Can't be mad at Chris, we have to be mad at ourselves for giving Chris the ammo to make a movie from LOL.

I would have replied with the SAME statement only replaced Asian with WHITE and there you go and happily skipped on my merry way

DOUCHEBAGS FOR SURE :nono:

Chris Rock's movie did some one-sided damage. I'd like to see a sequel where he tells the other side of the story, fat chance. I think this post re-iterates how we should be happy when we see Gabrielle Union, a famous person, rocking long natural hair and mentioning that it's not a weave. And Oprah. It should help get rid of negative stereotypes by Chris Rock by having more and more famous people let others know that they do have long hair.

lmao. Awww, it sounds innocent, if I were an "other", I'd be just as confused and bewildered by what is going on atop ""non-others"" heads.

Can't be mad at Chris, we have to be mad at ourselves for giving Chris the ammo to make a movie from LOL.

True. I wasn't upset just surprised. But, he could have left the movie out of the compliment. The "that hair" remark was pretty offensive. IMO

WOW. He called you out. Terrible.

True. I wasn't upset just surprised. But, he could have left the movie out of the compliment. The "that hair" remark was pretty offensive. IMO

ITA. I think I'd have found a subtle way to let him know. Most folks don't get that those types of things come across wrong and are hellaciously offensive.

A non black woman apologized to me after seeing the movie :perplexed she said she was unaware how much we have to go through just to style our hair:ohwell:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a form of "weave check?" Although your hair isn't in a weave? I thought some folks on here see it as a compliment.:rolleyes:

I have never seen the movie, not because I was anti- "Good Hair", I just hadn't gotten around to watching it...People are too freaking funny (and not necessarily in a good way)...

I have never seen the movie, not because I was anti- "Good Hair", I just hadn't gotten around to watching it...People are too freaking funny (and not necessarily in a good way)...

Indeed! Mute buttons for mouths...I'm telling you: someone should really market that.

i still haven't seen the movie. i think i would just get mad watching it. he poked fun at a serious topic. it just added more fuel to the fire. meanwhile, those comments (since they weren't really compliments) would have had me surprised too.

The movie sucked. I hate, absolutely hate the term "creamy crack". Something about associating something that many black women do with a crack addiction is offensive to me. I sat in that theater as a woman who had been natural for 7 years & I was still offended. A lot of people seem to be ok with that term... Oh well :ohwell:

i still haven't seen the movie. i think i would just get mad watching it. he poked fun at a serious topic. it just added more fuel to the fire. meanwhile, those comments (since they weren't really compliments) would have had me surprised too.

I haven't seen it either. I knew it was no good when I saw the previews. He confirmed it.

The movie sucked. I hate, absolutely hate the term "creamy crack". Something about associating something that many black women do with a crack addiction is offensive to me. I sat in that theater as a woman who had been natural for 7 years & I was still offended. A lot of people seem to be ok with that term... Oh well :ohwell:

This post all the way!!! I absolutely hate the term "creamy crack" as well. I too dislike the association of Black women with crack. I also find the term extremely offensive to those with relaxers.

I would be shocked if someone said that to me.

DAMN YOU CHRIS ROCK
tumblr_lgjmdsD9Xl1qf9oxz.gif

I'm sorry but I am rolling over here....I dont even think its racist...men can say some really ignorant things....black, white, asian, blue...

Back