Comedian Chris Rock's Documentary "Good Hair"

LiberianGirl

When Chris Rock’s daughter, Lola, came up to him crying and asked, “Daddy, how come I don’t have good hair?” the bewildered comic committed himself to search the ends of the earth and the depths of black culture to find out who had put that question into his little girl's head! Director Jeff Stilson’s camera followed the funnyman, and the result is Good Hair, a wonderfully insightful and entertaining, yet remarkably serious, documentary about African American hair culture.An exposé of comic proportions that only Chris Rock could pull off, Good Hair visits hair salons and styling battles, scientific laboratories, and Indian temples to explore the way black hairstyles impact the activities, pocketbooks, sexual relationships, and self-esteem of black people. Celebrities such as Ice-T, Kerry Washington, Nia Long, Paul Mooney, Raven Symoné, Maya Angelou, and Reverend Al Sharpton all candidly offer their stories and observations to Rock while he struggles with the task of figuring out how to respond to his daughter’s question. What he discovers is that black hair is a big business that doesn’t always benefit the black community and little Lola’s question might well be bigger than his ability to convince her that the stuff on top of her head is nowhere near as important as what is inside.

http://festival.sundance.org/2009/film_events/films/good_hair

Should be interesting, considering his comments about black women....:look:

ShaniKeys

I adore, love and worship all things Chris Rock, cannot wait to see this one...just the thought of it makes me :lachen:

Prose Princess

It doesn't look like it the ends looked kinda straight to me:perplexed
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! lol Seriously though, that's awful. Is that his daughter in that picture? You would think with all of the money he's got he would be able to afford a hairstylist who knows what she's doing and knows how to nurture healthy hair. Plus, she's too d*mn young to have a relaxer anyway! It makes me mad when I see little kids like that getting relaxers...even more so if their hair looks unhealthy.

How old is his daughter Lola?

I just looked it up, she's 6.

loulou82

I'd definitely like to watch. That isn't his daughter in the pic. It looks like one of the salons he probably visited while filming the documentary.

Prose Princess

Interesting. I'd like to see his perspective on "good hair" while raising a daughter who has already heard the stereotypes. The child in photo does not look like Lola though. Lola is a bit younger and a bit more brown.
http://www.theinsider.com/photos/998890_Chris_Rock_Lola_Stroll_In_NYC

I dunno, in this picture it definitely looks like it could be her. The one on the left is her.

Forever in Bloom

I doubt that's her. I'm sure that pic is of him frequenting a salon while doing the documentary showing another girl getting her hair relaxed. They are cutie pies :yep:

MizAvalon

I'm interested in seeing this and hearing what people(Um, Ice-T?:perplexed ) have to say about "good" hair.

Solitude

I don't see how this topic could be made funny. I don't want to hear any jokes about "good hair." Kudos to him for bringing the topic to light, though.

MizzBrown

I want to see who Chris Rock's Daughter was referring to when she said she wanted "good hair". Some little girl with 2a hair perhaps?

I like to hear peoples definition of it.

vestaluv1

I hope that's her first relaxer in that picture...:look:

See, thats what I thought when I saw this picture, but it blatantly isn't her first relaxer as the rest of her hair is already straight... :nono:... unless the lady blowdried her hair first... which is what some stylists do... double :nono:!

lwilliams1922

??
Is this only being shown in Utah at the festival??

What a lucky little girl.
ask your daddy a question and he makes a film. I'd love for my kids to see this.

GabbanaGirl

I saw the screening of this movie about a month ago, and I will say it has definitely opened my eyes a bit. They show what relaxers can do to a soda can (completely disintegrate it) and the effects that can have on your hair folicles. As well as issues with weaves, and the Asians who dominate the "beauty supply & hair game". Definitely worth checking out....

that_1_grrrl

I'm so sick of that term. Why.won't.it.die :nono:

Because it benefits certain people. Just like racism, it won't die until it stops being beneficial. People with "good hair" (not all, mind you) receive attention and praise because of their hair texture, and so they continue to use it. But, I'm starting to see that change. Now that more people, regardless of texture, are going natural, it seems a lot of people are getting over that crap.

I'm hoping that by time my grandchildren come in the world, "good hair" will be a beyond out-dated phrase.

tgrowe

I love listening to his spill and insights on different subjects such as a career vs a job, or wealth vs rich during his stand-ups. It's funny and oh so true. So I will definitely be waiting to view this.
BTW that youngest daughter looks just like him. Beautiful daughters.

MizzBrown

Because it benefits certain people. Just like racism, it won't die until it stops being beneficial. People with "good hair" (not all, mind you) receive attention and praise because of their hair texture, and so they continue to use it. But, I'm starting to see that change. Now that more people, regardless of texture, are going natural, it seems a lot of people are getting over that crap.

I'm hoping that by time my grandchildren come in the world, "good hair" will be a beyond out-dated phrase.

That is something that struck me while stalking the naturals on this board and nappturality.

I kept saying to myself, "look at all this 'good hair' we ALREADY had and we were relaxing it!" :blush:

All these textures that i thought were not possible and never saw because i've never seen someone with healthy natural hair so i never got a good impression.

To think that black women live and die and never see their real hair is something to think about.

Ramya

I thought it would be there are really still people out there who buy into this mess. An associate that I grew up around recently had a baby and she said she was disappointed because he has brown eyes and she hopes he has good hair :eek:. Oh and I couldn't possibly understand because my hair isn't nappy :nono:. Huh?! I hope she never says that to him. She's the type that wears blue contacts and weave and can't go natural because she NEEDS a perm. I'll never understand. :sad: And if I hear "mixed babies are the cutest" ever again. :wallbash: