Deep Condition With Leave In???

LovelyNaps26

I pre-poo my hair with oil and and a moisturizing conditioner to get rid of my tangles before washing. I HATE going in and out of the shower esp. in the winter, thus I refuse to DC after i wash my hair. So I usually just apply a two minute conditioner, rinse before leaving the shower and then apply a good leave in.

I wonder, however, would DCing with a leave in enhance the effectiveness of the leave in w/o making me have to do the dreaded second rinse? For example, after I shampoo my hair (moisturizing sulfate free shampoo), I'd apply my amla heavy cream or kimmaytube leave in, put on a shower cap, sit under the dryer then style.

Has anyone tried this? If so, did it make a difference good or bad?

LiftedUp

I hated the jumping in and out of the shower as well so I used to DC on dry hair and shampoo my scalp only.

Once a month or so, I'd do a clarifying shampoo.

I got bored with it though so I started just rinsing my DC in the sink. I will not suggest that though if you're prone to tangles.

Vashti

I wash my hair in the sink every week. I wash it in braids and add olive oil to my deep conditioner. That keeps tangles away for me.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Why not install a handheld shower head? I don't wash in shower unless I have to. Just lean over tub with handheld shower head.

LuvlyRain3

I rinse in the sink. I got this littles nozzle thingy from my local bss. It attaches to my sink and is sorta like a shower head.

virtuenow

Mslala leaves in her conditioner after she deep conditions w/it. See her youtube video on shampooing. Her utube name is naturalhairgrowth101 I think.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I dont think a leave in is a DC unless it states that on the bottle. Some things can work as a leave in and a DC (WEN for example). I dont think a normal leave in would penatrate deep enough into the hairs shaft to give you Deep Conditioning benefits.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I think it states on the Qhemet site that the AOHC can be used as a DC and as a leave-in. I think a lot of people use it as a DC. You should be good...

bb09

Thank you. So that's your SN. Can I pls get a PM or reply to my thread: Why is my hair soo soft while airdrying then dry & puffy once fully dried? - Long Hair Care Forum I asked about oil rinsing on pg 2

And I watched the vid and towards the end, when Ms Lala let her hair shrink up, could you really just not re-wet it? Slightly OT sorry. How do you detangle it once it's shrunken? Do you have to re-wet? Add more moisturiser?

virtuenow

Thank you. So that's your SN. Can I pls get a PM or reply to my thread: Why is my hair soo soft while airdrying then dry & puffy once fully dried? - Long Hair Care Forum I asked about oil rinsing on pg 2

And I watched the vid and towards the end, when Ms Lala let her hair shrink up, could you really just not re-wet it? Slightly OT sorry. How do you detangle it once it's shrunken? Do you have to re-wet? Add more moisturiser?

Okay, I'm going to that thread...What does "SN" mean? (OT: I would re-wet and add more moisture---both; but I think the hair has shrunk and wrapped around itself--so when u rewet and stretch, you are probably creating more knots by re stretching.)

bb09

virtuenow -Hi! Sorry for for the lateee reply. I meant screen name. I knew you oil rinsed, but I couldn't put a name to your face at the time

RE: the above post. Are you saying, you can re-wet and moisturise your hair, but you shouldn't stretch it once it's fully shrunken?

My hair's texlaxed, but I get quite a bit of shrinkage as well (to my shoulders). You seem to have really figured your hair out! I oil rinsed today (1)used nexxus emergencee -didn't strengthen anything, 2)chelated, 3)oil rinsed (no slip /nothing), 4)then skala chocolate -I actually really liked it. I know that my hair's gonna dry dry regardless though. What moisturisers do you use?

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I dont think a leave in is a DC unless it states that on the bottle. Some things can work as a leave in and a DC (WEN for example). I dont think a normal leave in would penatrate deep enough into the hairs shaft to give you Deep Conditioning benefits.

The only things that can penetrate into the hair strand are coconut oil, olive oil avocado oil and plain old water.

Everything else coats the strand or fills in where the cuticle has chipped off.

NIN4eva

I DC on dry hair (I apply it like a virgin relaxer) b4 I shampoo . Then I use the same Cond or another as a rinse out afterward for slip. Works like a charm.

virtuenow

@virtuenow -Hi! Sorry for for the lateee reply. I meant screen name. I knew you oil rinsed, but I couldn't put a name to your face at the time

RE: the above post. Are you saying, you can re-wet and moisturise your hair, but you shouldn't stretch it once it's fully shrunken?

My hair's texlaxed, but I get quite a bit of shrinkage as well (to my shoulders). You seem to have really figured your hair out! I oil rinsed today (1)used nexxus emergencee -didn't strengthen anything, 2)chelated, 3)oil rinsed (no slip /nothing), 4)then skala chocolate -I actually really liked it. I know that my hair's gonna dry dry regardless though. What moisturisers do you use?

bb09 No, once your hair dries in the shruken state, it seems the only way to detangle it is to rewet it. Some people can stretch hair in the shrunken state, but my hair is really kinky and compact, so I can't do it...I'm really referring to my hair and I can relate to Ms. Lala and others w/similar hair.

For moisturizers, I use four different levels: (1) wet moisture: castor oil rinses & deep conditioner Aubrey Organics GPB; (2) dry moisture: butters & oils (shea/castor/jojoba/evco/aloe vera gel mix); (3) in between moisture: modified kimmaytube mix w/the oil butter combo above added and some conditioner mixed in (whatever on hand); (4)straight hair moisture (flat iron reversion prevention + moisture): I'm still experimenting w/this area but I use a creamy or water based leave in and mix w/castor oil or coconut oil (evco) in my hand, then apply---- or I moisturize w/the leave in and seal w/the oil. right now I use Taliah Waajid Moisture bodifying mist. I plan to try the Giovanni Direct Leave In next.

Hope this helps. I'm working on a truly moisturizing regimen!:lick:

bb09

@virtuenow, thanks so much. So you would rewet and then start over -e.g. dc'ing /the wash process? Sorry to keep going round in circles.!! I'm just kinda thinking ahead for if I go natural again, cos I think my hair would do the same thing.

Anyway, thanks for the moisture level stages. I'm trying to work on mine as well! If nothing works, I'll have to start using heat.