Denman rips my hair-what am I doing wrong?

Ms Lala

Hey ladies,

I am a natural and I tried the denman brush after hearing so many wonderful reviews. I have the D4 classic. It detangles my hair and makes it look like a blow out (which I like) but I can feel it snagging and ripping my hair as I use it. I even found little pieces of my hair stuck at the base of the brush where they had been ripped. I am gentle with it but I can still feel it snagging like there are jagged pieces of plastic on the brush or something. I use it after I comb through my hair to detangle and I don't use it on dry hair, my hair is damp (I can't do anything w/my hair while dry). Am I doing something wrong or do I need to just stop using this thing?

Ms Lala

Well I thought it was just me. I'm going to stop using this thing. I was all excited about it. I think it shaved off about 1/4 inch of my hair in some spots and I can't afford to lose any!

Nola Darling

Yeah, me too! I thought I was the only one. I found that I can only use it when my hair is super wet, sectioned in small parts, and soaked in conditioner. Might as well just use a wide tooth comb!!!

Ms Lala

Yeah, me too! I thought I was the only one. I found that I can only use it when my hair is super wet, sectioned in small parts, and soaked in conditioner. Might as well just use a wide tooth comb!!!

Yeah my comb works better. I'm going to get a seamless comb and throw this mess in the trash.

CurliDiva

Me too :ohwell: I even tried it on DRY hair and had the same problem!

I dont' understand the hype:perplexed

blackbarbie

O.K. I could be very wrong, but when I was contemplating purchasing one (from all the raves here), that was one of my fears b/c it seemed like it would just rip your hair right out.

Several ladies gave reviews and said that the hair that you are seeing in the brush is shed hair that the wide tooth comb won't be able to pick up. I have since purchased one and was pleased when i used it b/c of the curl definition it gave me, but I did see hairs in the brush and just assumed it was the shed hairs that the brush pulled out of of my head that the wide tooth comb couldn't........

Twisties

Same for me and I am natural also-snags and pops is all I heard everytime I attempted to use it. I remember it was the rave once and I got mine from Sally's. It is under my sink way in the back somewhere:ohwell:. I hope I never gave it a good review:perplexed.

Allandra

O.K. I could be very wrong, but when I was contemplating purchasing one (from all the raves here), that was one of my fears b/c it seemed like it would just rip your hair right out.

Several ladies gave reviews and said that the hair that you are seeing in the brush is shed hair that the wide tooth comb won't be able to pick up. I have since purchased one and was pleased when i used it b/c of the curl definition it gave me, but I did see hairs in the brush and just assumed it was the shed hairs that the brush pulled out of of my head that the wide tooth comb couldn't........
I agree (with the bolded).

I'm loving my Denman brush.

nakialovesshoes

Okay if the purpose of the Denman is more so to free yourself of shed hairs, then maybe I need to revisit b/c as a detangler, I don't likey. My wide tooth metal afro comb works much better. And as far as curl definition, when I use the Denman, my hair immediately shrinks up - even when it's soaking wet.:perplexed

sareca

What she said. :yep: I don't think any tool will make it possible to just comb through without sectioning or wetting or something.

I use my denman instead of the rattail comb for rollersetting. I did notice it had some nice curl definition. I hadn't even thought of using it for shed hair extraction. I try it next wash. Not getting as many shed hairs out as possible out can spell disaster for a lo-mani chick. Thanks BB!

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
how are you brusing your hair? You can't have a ton of knots at the ends or its gonna sang like crazy. I usually comb through the section with a wide tooth comb then use my denman. If I feel I'm hitting tangles then I will gently pull them apart with my fingers then keep going w/ my denman

glamazon386

how are you brusing your hair? You can't have a ton of knots at the ends or its gonna sang like crazy. I usually comb through the section with a wide tooth comb then use my denman. If I feel I'm hitting tangles then I will gently pull them apart with my fingers then keep going w/ my denman

I generally don't get tangles. I rarely get knots. I only see those one strand knots in one section of my hair if it gets really dry. As long as I keep my hair moisturized, I don't see knots. I usually detangle all at once with my fingers in the shower. The only time I really use my wide toothed comb is if I'm doing a wash and go and want to comb my leave in through. If I do that, I use my wide toothed comb in about 4-6 sections. But I don't do that often. It doesn't really make that much of a difference as far as hangage goes.

blackbarbie

What she said. :yep: I don't think any tool will make it possible to just comb through without sectioning or wetting or something.

I use my denman instead of the rattail comb for rollersetting. I did notice it had some nice curl definition. I hadn't even thought of using it for shed hair extraction. I try it next wash. Not getting as many shed hairs out as possible out can spell disaster for a lo-mani chick. Thanks BB!

Yep, tried this when I did my last rollerset and I worked much better than my rattail!

slw980205

i had the same problem with wet and dry hair, aybe it is just shed hair but it is still scary to see and hear all that hair being ripped from your head

Bubblingbrownshuga

I love the Denman! Gotta ask to those who are having problems:

Do you detangle with a comb first?
Do you brush when the hair is drenched and full of condish?
Do you start and the ends of the hair and then work up?

Fine 4s

"Not getting as many shed hairs out as possible out can spell disaster for a lo-mani chick."

Hey Sareca,

I am an extreme lo mani chick (one year now). Not completely removing sheded hairs didn't seem like a problem to me because my low mani diet consists of either cornrolls (not braided but twisted in rows) and twists mostly. Should I be concerned with sheded hairs even if I'm not wearing a bun or style where each strand is 'on its own'. I'm assuming the sheded hairs becomes a problem because the hair gets tangled which then would be a nightmare (especially if you lack patience!). My buns get really big, puffy and tangled after a week...

What's your thinking?

kweenameena

I got my denman from CVS....The style is Denman but the brand is Christophe Beverly Hills something (I'll find out when I get home). It works wonders!!!!!!
How I Use it:
Right after I wash my hair while it's soaking wet
I use it to detangle while conditioner is on my head
I use it right out of the shower with a little bit of leave in to detangle.
I always take small sections of my hair to detangle and I start from the bottom and work my way up. It gives me beautiful curls!!!

Last edited:

Gryphyn

I love my Denman, it doesn't rip out near as much hair as my combs do. I'm not sure what you could be doing wrong, because I even use it on my severely shrunken hair when I'm roller setting and pressing and barely any hair comes out.

brownsugarflyygirl

I love the Denman! Gotta ask to those who are having problems:

Do you detangle with a comb first?
Do you brush when the hair is drenched and full of condish?
Do you start and the ends of the hair and then work up?

I heart my Denman. I could NOT be natural without it.
The steps that Bublin' asked about are important. This is exactly how I use it. Its like an extra step to super detangle the hair but you definitely should use a comb first. I NEVER feel like the Denman is ripping through my hair and I check it for broken hairs and its almost always 95% shed pieces. So yes...I would reccomend:

1) Start with wet hair with a leave-in that has slip (I use Giovanni Direct) I also use a spray bottle to remoisten each section as I go along.

2) Seperate hair into smaller sections and comb through with a wide tooth comb and immediately follow with the Denman, twist or braid that section and continue.

Hope this helps. The Denman is definitely a great tool for naturals so hopefully you will have a better experience in the future.

Bubblingbrownshuga

I heart my Denman. I could NOT be natural without it.
The steps that Bublin' asked about are important. This is exactly how I use it. Its like an extra step to super detangle the hair but you definitely should use a comb first. I NEVER feel like the Denman is ripping through my hair and I check it for broken hairs and its almost always 95% shed pieces. So yes...I would reccomend:

1) Start with wet hair with a leave-in that has slip (I use Giovanni Direct) I also use a spray bottle to remoisten each section as I go along.

2) Seperate hair into smaller sections and comb through with a wide tooth comb and immediately follow with the Denman, twist or braid that section and continue.

Hope this helps. The Denman is definitely a great tool for naturals so hopefully you will have a better experience in the future.

:yep: When use correctly, it can make one's hair texture POP!

sareca

"Not getting as many shed hairs out as possible out can spell disaster for a lo-mani chick."

Hey Sareca,

I am an extreme lo mani chick (one year now). Not completely removing sheded hairs didn't seem like a problem to me because my low mani diet consists of either cornrolls (not braided but twisted in rows) and twists mostly. Should I be concerned with sheded hairs even if I'm not wearing a bun or style where each strand is 'on its own'. I'm assuming the sheded hairs becomes a problem because the hair gets tangled which then would be a nightmare (especially if you lack patience!). My buns get really big, puffy and tangled after a week...

What's your thinking?

:giggle: @ lo-mani diet.

:eek: A whole year! :notworthy :congrats:

I think you're safe in braids. :yep: My thinking is ... loose hair + shed hairs = dread locs. I wear my hair out everyday and by the time the 3 weeks is up I have a few locs in there. :yep:

Last edited:

nappity

Hey ladies,

I am a natural and I tried the denman brush after hearing so many wonderful reviews. I have the D4 classic. It detangles my hair and makes it look like a blow out (which I like) but I can feel it snagging and ripping my hair as I use it. I even found little pieces of my hair stuck at the base of the brush where they had been ripped. I am gentle with it but I can still feel it snagging like there are jagged pieces of plastic on the brush or something. I use it after I comb through my hair to detangle and I don't use it on dry hair, my hair is damp (I can't do anything w/my hair while dry). Am I doing something wrong or do I need to just stop using this thing?

This is why I refer to my Denman as a weapon of Mass destruction (LOL)

kellie7777

i've never used my denman on wet hair, but i will look into that.

i usually use it on air dry hair, by adding hollywood creamy stuff (green jar) and then i comb and separate any tangles with fingers, then i denman. i find that i can manage the ends of my hair a lot better when i use the denman this way to twist my hair.

When using my denman i use an over and under brush stroke. so that i am not brushing from one direction..if i reach a part that is not moving, i stop detangle with my fingers then i use the comb then back to the brush. over and then under, usually i get through it without loosing too much hair which makes me think it is shed hairs in the brush.

SouthernJewel

exceeding expectations...
I have a D3 and it doesn't do crap for my hair! I ran to Sally's and pay 8.99 for my hair to be ripped out of my head! :wallbash:My Jilbere Shower comb is much better. Btw,i'm relaxed.

Ms Lala

Same for me and I am natural also-snags and pops is all I heard everytime I attempted to use it. I remember it was the rave once and I got mine from Sally's. It is under my sink way in the back somewhere:ohwell:. I hope I never gave it a good review:perplexed.

Yeah I was hearing snaps too so I pulled the hairs out of the comb and quite a few of them were little broken hairs, not shed hair. I also didn't see any curl definition when I used one wet hair. I ended up w/a big fluffy fro, when I have used the brush it stretches my hair out and it looks like I blowdryed it or something. Maybe I should try a different model. I had more definition when I just don't comb my hair at all after cowashing.

Last edited: