Did your DOUBTS get easier when you hair...

ProjectWLhair

got longer???

Im in b/w Sl and Apl and sometimes i experience a little doubt about reaching my goals. I NEVER had long hair before, so its not like I can say.. I did it before I can do it again.:nono:

So long hair ladies,, do you think after you reached APL or BSL it got easier for you to say.. Ok, I can reach MBL or WL?? OR whatever ur next goal was???

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
When I hit apl, my doubts did ease. I think that being able to see yourself with long hair (that's growing out of your head) helps you envision the possibility of it being longer. I think it also dispels the thought "Oh, my hair has never gotten to x length, so maybe it never will." Once you reach x length you see that how long your hair was in the past really doesn't determine how long in could be.

beans4reezy

I recently hit APL and my hair has never been this long before ever. I'm like, okay, if I could get here...BSL is only a few inches away...MBL a few more inches from there- I can do it! Actually, I feel like hitting my hair goals actually gives me the fire and motivation to keep on growing.

Toy

Yes my doubts disappeared as soon as i reached a little pass shoulder length i knew from there my hair can grow LOL.

SimpleKomplexity

Yup I had doubts when I first started. I actually thought Shoulder length was my terminal length for awhile. Once I hit APL and looked back at the old pictures....I knew anything was possible.

*CherryPie*

I've always had long hair. But my hair hasn't been close to MBL since I was in my 20s. I had been doubting WL until I almost got to MBL last year.

I had a setback in November from using a wave iron. It broke my ends off. I had to cut back to APL. I learned my lesson though.

naturalmanenyc

I've never had doubts that my hair would be as long as I want. My BFF since childhood kept long hair (BSL and longer) while I preferred to stick around APL or shorter (like my mom & sister). My last short cut was like Halle Berry's but with some streaks.

When I stopped cutting my hair, I reached BSL. I was relaxed at that time but I know that I will get there again as a natural.

SEMO

It did get somewhat easier as my hair got longer. When I joined this forum my ultimate goal was just to reach BSL. I thought that was as long as I could reasonably expect my hair to get. So it was surprising when that goal became a reality. Even more surprising when I passed it.

But even now (esp. since I mostly wear my hair curly and it looks much shorter then) I sometimes find it surreal that my hair is the length it is. It took encouragement from members of this forum before I was willing to claim WL. Because me having WL was just so far outside of anything I was even expecting or reaching for at first.

Last edited:

wheezy807

As soon as i reached my first goal APL, i knew i was on to something. From there on i knew i could reach ALL my goals.:grin:

Optimus_Prime

It did get somewhat easier as my hair got longer. When I joined this forum my ultimate goal was just to reach BSL. I thought that was as long as I could reasonably expect my hair to get. So it was surprising when that goal became a reality. Even more surprising when I passed it.

But even now (esp. since I mostly wear my hair curly and it looks much shorter then) I sometimes find it surreal that my hair is the length it is. It took encouragement from members of this forum before I was willing to claim WL. Because me having WL was just so far outside of anything I was even expecting or reaching for at first.

That's great! What is your ultimate goal now?

Polyesterdiva

YES the journey has gotten easier for me as my hair is grown. My confidence has increased, but also the manageability of my hair too (ironically). I don't heat style at all now because I can braid out or twist out without feeling like my hair is too short.

So my is healthier than ever before and growing a lot faster too.

Goombay_Summer

My whole life my hair never grew beyond SL and I erroneously thought that 4B hair wouldn't grow beyond a certain length. Boy was I wrong !!! As my au natural hair grew I became more confident and I stopped setting limits on how long my hair could grow. I'm currently MBL and knocking on WSL's door.

Janet'

This is a great thread...I am one who is a little discouraged. I will admit that I am worried that I might not reach APL...Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!

Shananyganz

I will not say that I encounter doubt...I know my hair can and will grow. It's just that sometimes it is a little difficult to stay encouraged. When I am in protective styles (braids and weaves), I don't see my complete hair for months at a time, so I can't gage what is going on. So I don't know if I doing right by my hair...BUT when I have it out...it blows me away. The thickness, the health, the length (since my big chop). I know that I can reach my hair goals, I just sometimes get down on where I think I should be versus where I am. Truth be told, I am RIGHT on target. I just need to keep it together and realize its all a process....one step at a time!

prospurr4

When I first logged into this site and saw pics of the long, thick-haired ladies with my hair type (4b) on here, my doubts didn't have a chance. :nono: I've never had long/thick hair, not even as a child, and I was at neck length at the time, but I just knew if they could have hair like THAT, so could I. :yep: