Diphenhydramine

krissyhair

You might know from my other thread that I got my first sew-in ever. It's going great, but I had a severely itchy scalp. It was so awful I couldn't sleep at night or concentrate in class. It's probably because: (1) I'm not used to the feeling, and; (2) it was really tight braiding.

Anyway, I applied a diphenhydramine cream to my scalp, (name brand Benedryl anti-itch).

The packaging lists the active ingredient it as an analgesic (pain reliever) rather than antihistamine (although it probably works the same way for both needs). Diphenhydramine is the same active ingredient in the sleep aid I take orally every once few months if my sleep schedule gets out of wack.

The inactive ingredients in the cream are not that different from typical hair and skin products. Definitly the type of ingredients you've proably used in your scalp in the past at some point. (cetyl alcohol, water, propylene glycol, etc.)

I used my fingers to apply it to the itchy spots, and about 20 minutes later I forgot it was ever itching in the first place.

If you suffered a bad bad bad scalp itch that's got you feeling terrible, I'd recommend this.

Other people have recommended hydrocortisone cream, but those can encourage yeast growth and your scalp likely already has some type of yeast on it.

*Disclaimer, this thread is not for medical advice.