Disappointed w/ Shingling w/ Curly Pudding

RabiaElaine

So I don't know if I did anything wrong or not...

I tried the shingling method for the first time on my sister w/ Curly Pudding. My sister has tightly coiled 4a hair w/ a little 3c in some areas. Anyway I followed the directions to a 'T'. When I smoothed the sections with my finger you could see beautiful curls forming and I was elongating each section. But as soon as I let go of the section the hair would spring back up and not be much longer than it was before.

What it did do was define tiny tiny springy looking curls and make the hair lay southward instead or north. I was really hoping that she would have the look of elongated curls. I even tried blasting the dryer with nozzle from root to mid shaft but that didn't help much either.

What did I do wrong? I don't know if I used too much product (their instructions say to be generous). I kept a spray bottle close by to rewet the hair before I smoothed Curly Pudding into it.

I am thinking about clipping curler clips to the ends of the sections to weight down the hair as it dries.

Anyway give me your suggestions. Have any of you 4a's experienced the same thing?

(Please note that I think the product is excellent for defining curls and its mostly natural, I am definitely going to get some when I texturize my hair, I'm just not sure how to produce the desired results for natural 4a/b hair)

Help me :confused:

(Sorry this is so long)

honeycomb719

Wish I could offere some advice, but I never used it b4. Im interested reading the responses, cause Im want to try the curly pudding. Sounds like the same might happen to my 4a hair......

Shatani

i dont think the product is going to completely irradicate shrinkage....shrinkage is a fact of life with natural hair....it defined the curls and made them hang, what more were you looking for?

RabiaElaine

Shatani said:
i dont think the product is going to completely irradicate shrinkage....shrinkage is a fact of life with natural hair....it defined the curls and made them hang, what more were you looking for?

I guess the results that they show on the before and after pictures on Curve Salon's website for girls who look like they have 4a/b hair. I knew shrinkage was going to happen I was just hoping the product would have reduced it some more.

RabiaElaine

honeycomb719 said:
Wish I could offere some advice, but I never used it b4. Im interested reading the responses, cause Im want to try the curly pudding. Sounds like the same might happen to my 4a hair......

Don't get me wrong I still think this is a great product and I think you should try it. If nothing else you will get a rocking twist out or braid out using this stuff, it really really defines our curls. So far I haven't seen a product that would do that.

I'm not giving up on using the product either. I plan to try this again over the weekend with the curler clip on the hair for some weight as it dries.

But if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the product to work better with my sisters hair, I would greatly appreciate it.

Lorraine

RabiaElaine, did you apply the Curly Pudding to damp or wet hair? I always apply to dripping wet hair. Also, it may help to train the hair over time if she doesn't wear it curly on most days. It takes a few tries before you get it right. :yep:

deedabug

with tightly coiled hair that is about the best u r gonna get....

it will not look like what is ont he site!!

on ur texturized hair it will elongate better....

if u were to wash ur sister's hair and put this one everday afterward it would start droppin more...

but it wont be long spirals like in the pix...

actually using the dryer on tightly coiled hair can make it shrink more....thats why i air dry...

using a lidful may not be necessary either...scoop out that much to start...

but dont try to force a lidful on to her hair...she juss may not need that much....

the more u use will not make it elongate...

it will shrink more...

also the longer her hair gets then her curls r gonna shrink to a nicer length....

but on tightly coiled hair ur results r to be expected....

Shatani

RabiaElaine said:
I guess the results that they show on the before and after pictures on Curve Salon's website for girls who look like they have 4a/b hair. I knew shrinkage was going to happen I was just hoping the product would have reduced it some more.
oh, i see....

i dont have any suggestions then....i like mine short :ohwell:

Ayeshia

deedabug said:

if u were to wash ur sister's hair and put this one everday afterward it would start droppin more...

actually using the dryer on tightly coiled hair can make it shrink more....thats why i air dry...

but dont try to force a lidful on to her hair...she juss may not need that much....

it will shrink more...

also the longer her hair gets then her curls r gonna shrink to a nicer length....

Yep what she said :)

kristina

I can't offer advice because I tried it and was similarly disappointed. Weird but true- my hair looked more shrunken with the shingling than when I don't use any products and just brush with a denman.

RabiaElaine

deedabug said:

it will shrink more...

Thank you very much for this explanation. I was thinking that the dryer was going to revert it. Ok so next time I am going to use less product and I will air dry. I may also try my curler clip idea.

Thanks ladies.

Shatani

i wanna warn you....air drying is a COMMITMENT! :lol: even after twelve hours my hair was still wet...

L

LaNecia

Shatani said:
i wanna warn you....air drying is a COMMITMENT! :lol: even after twelve hours my hair was still wet...

Co-signing on this one.

I've not had any success shingling but my hair is over texturized so it won't cooperate. I'll try again as I continue to grow it out...again. :ohwell:

RabiaElaine

LaNecia said:
Co-signing on this one.

I've not had any success shingling but my hair is over texturized so it won't cooperate. I'll try again as I continue to grow it out...again. :ohwell:

I can imagine! O well we'll have to do it on a bright sunny day that's not too humid.

Chaya

Lorraine said:
RabiaElaine, did you apply the Curly Pudding to damp or wet hair? I always apply to dripping wet hair. Also, it may help to train the hair over time if she doesn't wear it curly on most days. It takes a few tries before you get it right. :yep:

Hey Lorraine!
Are you finally starting to love the Curly pudding too?!? Did you finally get it to work?

Peachtree

I haven't used Curly Pudding, but I do "shingle" (was doing it, not knowing there was a name for it).

Anyhow, after applying my products, I'll make 1 single low ponytail (or 2 pocahontas style pontails), then "band" the length hair with satin scrunchies & leave to airdry. If I'm pressed for time, I'll blast the length hair with warm/cool dryer (pointing downward) to speed up drying time.

When done, I'll unband & give a good "shake". My hair still has shrinkage, but the curls hang much longer (thanks to "banding")

HTH

Last edited:

kristina

Peachtree said:
I haven't used Curly Pudding, but I do "shingle" (was doing it, not knowing there was a name for it).

Anyhow, after applying my products, I'll make 1 single low ponytail (or 2 pocahontas style pontails), then "band" the length hair with satin scrunchies & leave to airdry. If I'm pressed for time, I'll blast the length hair with warm/cool dryer (pointing downward) to speed up drying time.

When done, I'll unband & give a good "shake". My hair still has shrinkage, but the curls hang much longer (thanks to "banding")

HTH

Great tip. I'm going to try this!

RabiaElaine

Peachtree said:

HTH

Thanks Peachtree...good tip!!

balisi

I like the frizz-free, defined results I get with Curly Pudding, but I agree that a fair amount of shrinkage is the norm. The next best product that I've found to give frizz-free, defined results is Curling (or Curly) Custard by Kinky-Curly. The major difference for my hair (which is not type 4) is that it offers greater elongation, but with no volume. When I shingled with the Curly Custard, my hair looked like an eighties throwback. Can you say Jherri Curl? :lol: So I've learned to get the best of both products by layering them.

Hmm, I haven't used curly pudding but I kinda make my own concoction when I wash n' go out of a deep moisture conditioner and mousse and comb it through while very wet- similar to shingling. Yep if I want longer curls I have to take one more step and kinda shape them either by using a blow dryer to set curls while I kinda pull them longer, or by waiting until my hair is completely dry and bumping it with a curling iron, or by wearing a head band the horse shoe shaped one works great for me as it pulls the hair back around my face and when it is nearly dry I remove it and finger fluff the hair and voila a nicely framed face. I have used the claw clips to weigh hair down as it dries. Hope this helps, but experimentation is the best teacher.

Soleado

I think when you buy any product for curve definition you should expect to enhance/define your own hair. Pictures only tell half the story and unless you are there to touch and look at the hair you cannot really tell what type of hair these woman have, especially when it comes to shrinkage.

I have both the Curling Custard and the Curly Pudding. To me both are very good products for my hair. With the Curly Custard I get massive moisture, but it makes my shrinkage even more significant. With the Curly Pudding it is not as moisturizing as the Custard but I get really good curl definition and it helps elongate my hair more. I have not used the shingling technique as of yet, cause I like to keep it real quick and simple with my hair. While it is still wet I put on my leave in conditioner and then layer on the curly pudding right after.

balisi

Soleado said:
I think when you buy any product for curve definition you should expect to enhance/define your own hair. Pictures only tell half the story and unless you are there to touch and look at the hair you cannot really tell what type of hair these woman have, especially when it comes to shrinkage.

I have both the Curling Custard and the Curly Pudding. To me both are very good products for my hair. With the Curly Custard I get massive moisture, but it makes my shrinkage even more significant. With the Curly Pudding it is not as moisturizing as the Custard but I get really good curl definition and it helps elongate my hair more. I have not used the shingling technique as of yet, cause I like to keep it real quick and simple with my hair. While it is still wet I put on my leave in conditioner and then layer on the curly pudding right after.
Wow, how interesting that you and I get reverse results from these products. The Custard gives me elongation, whereas the Pudding does not. Is your hair completely natural?

wyldcurlz

Lorraine & Chaya,

Lorraine (please correct me if i'm wrong), I read in your album that you smoothed the curly pudding on small sections of dripping wet hair, then you put your hair in a ponytail and let it dry?

I tried to shingle at home, after having a stylist do it and it turned out beautifully. But, my hair wasn't dripping wet as I worked section to section some of it had started to dry. Then I let it air dry just hanging down. It turned out big and ugly! But Lorraine - your curly pudding pics have re-motivated me.

Chaya, what are you doing with the curly pudding to get good results. I'm natural, but its worked well once before...

dija23

I'm about to try the Curly Pudding and Shingling on my 90% natural hair (I'm transitioning). I ordered a jar online yesterday. I'll let u guys know how it comes out!

angellazette

I tried shingling on my hair...and put a photo up but it's hard to do when you have relaxed ends with no natural texture!

aminata

I've been practicing the shingling technique. I'm getting better. My only problem whether I shingle or wash-n-go is getting 2nd and 3rd day hair. I prefer not to have to rinse or shampoo everyday.

In terms of shingling--I get better results by sectioning more of my hair and making sure its wet. (before I would just section my hair into three or four parts--now I'm more thorough.) I sit under my bonnet hair dryer then use a blow dryer (only for a very short amount of time). If I don't use a blow dryer my hair is flat--with the blow dryer I can fluff it up a bit.

I love curling custard because it dry out my hair. I would like to try the curly pudding--maybe when the budget allows for it.

Soleado

balisi said:
Wow, how interesting that you and I get reverse results from these products. The Custard gives me elongation, whereas the Pudding does not. Is your hair completely natural?

Yep, my hair is 100% natural, has been for the past 5 years. The custard does not give me elongation at all. My hair grabs on to that stuff and it is like a slinky. :) The only product that has helped reduced the shrinkage has been the curly meringue & pudding.

kandyland

Shatani said:

giiirl......12?? try 24 and my hair still wasn't fully dry.....:lol:......

imstush

I've been using this product for a month on very wet hair. I like the look and feel of my curls when they are dry. It elongates my curls. I used to use john frieda frizz ease, but one day i ran out and used the curly pudding I realized I didn't need the frizz ease. My boyfriend also loves the smell of this product when it's in my hair. I am looking for a product that moisturizes also. As someone else said, online the before and after pictures were not made solely by using the curly pudding and the other products. All of the women have the silkening done to their hair. Why not try a twist/braid out on your sisters hair? Hope my lil 2 cents helped.