• No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieB

Oh yeah....water...thanks for the reminder..Did I read incorrectly? I could have sworn I read that either acv or lemon juice was necessary to release the dye.... Let me go read some more...Thanks...

JustKiya

Oh yeah....water...thanks for the reminder..Did I read incorrectly? I could have sworn I read that either acv or lemon juice was necessary to release the dye.... Let me go read some more...Thanks...

It's - well, it really depends on the henna, I think. I used lemon juice once, and I hated how it made my hair feel. I think that it might acclerate the dye release, and if you are using it on SKIN, that's crucial, because it has to dye before it dries out.

On hair, though, not so much, simply because it's sitting, moist, on your hair for a while - so you have more time to allow the dye to move into your hair.

So, a lot of people use it, but you don't HAVE to. And if your hair tends to dry out/be dry, I wouldn't use it, at all.

AngieB

Thanks for your reply really...because I truly don't wanna mess this up and be lookin like Bozo...lol...So I mixed my henna....1tbsp lemon juice and water in a container...tomorrow..I will mix the amla and water and mix in with the henna and add some oils..maybe a lil yogurt and some suave conditioner...what do you guys think?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thanks for your reply really...because I truly don't wanna mess this up and be lookin like Bozo...lol...So I mixed my henna....1tbsp lemon juice and water in a container...tomorrow..I will mix the amla and water and mix in with the henna and add some oils..maybe a lil yogurt and some suave conditioner...what do you guys think?

Do not use lemon juice. You dom't need it. It only dries the hair out.
I wish I could put this in flashing red lights on this thread! :wallbash:

oooop2

And water! :lol: Don't forget the water. ;)

Personally, I don't use the lemon juice - I find that it dries out my hair.

If you want to let it sit til tomorrow, that's fine- the color will have definitely released by then. :yep: And, depending on when you start, doing it tomorrow just might be simpler, overall. Depending on your henna though, the color can release within an hour, so you wouldn't have to let it sit overnight.

My personal henna mix is henna + water into a thick paste til the color releases, then I add an equal amount of a cheapie, cone-free conditioner (V05/Suave/White Rain), and put it into my hair. The conditioner, I've found, makes rinsing the henna out SUPER easy.

Hi,

How long do you let your henna sit on your hair before rinsing it out. And why don't you add oils to your mix??? And I will DEFINITELY add condish to my mix the next time I do it.

TIA

AngieB

Thank you all for your assistance. The results are in. I used a henna/amla mix with a small amount of lemon juice (very little), EVOO, egg yolk and water..forgot to add the conditioner. Hair doesn't feel dry at all. Feels thick and soft. Color came out a wonderful brownish red/reddish brown that I just love..can't wait to see what it looks like in the sunlight..No sun today..just rain..so maybe tomorrow..
Only issue is my gray roots are somewhat copper/orange..I think I'll need to use a little indigo the next time to get them more brownish....thanks again..:grin: I'll do another treatment in a week or two....

Last edited:

Misseyl

I'm going to henna my hair sometime next week and here's my mix:
200g of Henna (forgot the brand name, stored it in the freezer for over 1 yr.)
Lemon Juice
Honey
Red wine
let it sit for a couple of hours
Apply henna on clean hair
let it sit on hair overnight, if I can stand it, if not, no less than 5 hours
rinse henna w cheap conditioner, then wash w/CON shampoo and deep condition with heat
apply Infusion as leave-in
Air dry
Flatiron

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
What do you use instead of lemon juice ? I always add yogurt to my henna & lemon juice mix and my hair is never dry.

I don't use any lemon juice or acid. It's not needed; the color will release without it The lemon juice is not conditioning the hair. Even though your mix was fine, it will be better without the lemon juice.

I started out using lemon juice, vinegar and the like (even orange juice), but as I progressed, I found acid was not needed! I would moisturize my hair to lessen breakage and then the lemon juice would counteract all of that!

It's up to you to add or not, but try your mix without it and see if you notice a difference.

I do believe acid is more essential for the body art process, but not the hair treatments. I remember Henna Sooq also saying this.

stinastina

I don't use any lemon juice or acid. It's not needed; the color will release without it The lemon juice is not conditioning the hair. Even though your mix was fine, it will be better without the lemon juice.

I started out using lemon juice, vinegar and the like (even orange juice), but as I progressed, I found acid was not needed! I would moisturize my hair to lessen breakage and then the lemon juice would counteract all of that!

It's up to you to add or not, but try your mix without it and see if you notice a difference.

I do believe acid is more essential for the body art process, but not the hair treatments. I remember Henna Sooq also saying this.

That's weird because I always thought this thread said we need it or something acidic. :perplexed

BeautifulFlower

Did my first henna treatment this weekend. I dont know how I could have been so scared. My hair feels and looks stronger. I love the auburn color. Its soft, silky, and shiny. This is what I will do about every relaxer. It laid my cuticles down and everything. HENNA FOR LIFE!

I'll post pictures later.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
That's weird because I always thought this thread said we need it or something acidic. :perplexed

The acid helps the color release faster but if you use water instead and leave it overnight the color will release. It is slower, but you get the same color release

Aggie

The acid helps the color release faster but if you use water instead and leave it overnight the color will release. It is slower, but you get the same color release

Co-signing with Ekaette. I found that when I used the lemon jiuce or even the Apple Cider Vinegar, it left my hair extremely dry so I don't use them anymore and the results are wayyyy better..

AngieB

Did another henna today...No lemon juice this time...just water and let it sit overnight..worked just fine..added oils after that...Used indigo with the henna this time to get rid of my orangey used to be gray hairs..worked out very well....Thanks for all your advice everyone...:yep:

Misseyl

I'm going to henna my hair sometime next week and here's my mix:
200g of Henna (forgot the brand name, stored it in the freezer for over 1 yr.)
Lemon Juice
Honey
Red wine
let it sit for a couple of hours
Apply henna on clean hair
let it sit on hair overnight, if I can stand it, if not, no less than 5 hours
rinse henna w cheap conditioner, then wash w/CON shampoo and deep condition with heat
apply Infusion as leave-in
Air dry
Flatiron
:sad: it didn't work. The Henna that I stored for a year in the freezer did not release any dye.. I'm so disappointed because I really thought it would work..

I'm thinking of order a new batch today because I really wanted to dye my hair.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Did another henna today...No lemon juice this time...just water and let it sit overnight..worked just fine..added oils after that...Used indigo with the henna this time to get rid of my orangey used to be gray hairs..worked out very well....Thanks for all your advice everyone...:yep:

:clapping::thumbsup::grin:

oooop2

What are you ladies doing in order to get the Henna to DYE your hair. I purchased a Mahogany batch from mountainrose.com

I've used it 2x and my hair is still blk, not mahogany at all. The first time I mixed w/only water. The 2nd time I added OJ and let it sit for @ 7hrs. Then added oils/etc.

What am I doing wrong? I would really like some type of color added to my hair.

TIA

Aggie

:sad: it didn't work. The Henna that I stored for a year in the freezer did not release any dye.. I'm so disappointed because I really thought it would work..

MisseyL, what color is your hair originally? If it was always black then the henna may have worked fine. Henna does not color already black hair, it would only leave a slight reddish tint that can be seen in bright sunlight. I used henna on my hair and I did not get any color on my whole head, the only way I knew that the color released was the copper color of my gray hairs and of course in bright sunlight. Now if your hair is bleached or lightly colored then you should see some color with the henna. I don't use henna really for the color, I use it for the conditioning and strengthening power it has on my hair.

For my next henna treatment I will add indigo to darken my gray hairs as I prefer my hair really black anyway. Thank God I found something natural to color my hair with. I used black rinses forever but they don't last long, I was getting a little tired of using them and was very tempted to put a chemical dye in it so I found henna just in time.

Aggie

What are you ladies doing in order to get the Henna to DYE your hair. I purchased a Mahogany batch from mountainrose.com

I've used it 2x and my hair is still blk, not mahogany at all. The first time I mixed w/only water. The 2nd time I added OJ and let it sit for @ 7hrs. Then added oils/etc.

What am I doing wrong? I would really like some type of color added to my hair.

TIA

oooop2, henna does not add color to already black hair. It simply leaves a slightly reddish tint and sometimes it can only be seen in bright sunlight. For you to get some color from it you'd have to lighten your hair by bleaching or something like that. I find that having to apply a chemical dye and then use henna is too much for my hair to handle so I decided to just be happy with my black hair and use the henna for conditioning and strengthening instead.

There are some ladies whose hair is slightly brown naturally and they are the ones that will get a nice slightly reddish color from henna that's not necessarily visible in bright sunlight alone.

cupcakes

hello,
I was just wondering how often can indigo be applied. I want my hair jet black. I know that the color is permanent but I have also heard that the black fades over time:ohwell:

Aggie

hello,
I was just wondering how often can indigo be applied. I want my hair jet black. I know that the color is permanent but I have also heard that the black fades over time:ohwell:
I have not used my indigo as yet but I assume because it is natural hair product, it should be safe to apply it every 3 weeks or once a month with the henna treatments. I believe I read here that some of the ladies re-apply their henna even sooner than that with great results.

Misseyl

I called Mehandi today and told her what happened. She said because I used honey in the henna that's why I did not get any dye release. Now I know better. I had gotten that recipe from one of the woman on the Henna hair site and never did the user say anything about it. That's why you cant take everything people say literally, you have to take some things with a grain of salt.

Aggie

I called Mehandi today and told her what happened. She said because I used honey in the henna that's why I did not get any dye release. Now I know better. I had gotten that recipe from one of the woman on the Henna hair site and never did the user say anything about it. That's why you cant take everything people say literally, you have to take some things with a grain of salt.

MisseyL I'm so happy you found out what caused your henna not to release. At least I know too not to add honey to my henna and leave excess amounts for freezer storage. Thanks for posting.

Lady Esquire

I may do another henna gloss today.

Just curious: do you ladies henna on wet or dry hair. I usually do it on dry hair.

But today I want to clarify first, 'cause I have buildup. Does it matter?

Lady Esquire

1st things 1st!
  1. DEEP CONDITION your hair before your treatment.
  2. OIL RINSE your hair
  3. APPLY HENNA mix (mix should contain oil/and or conditioner) to wet (not dripping) or damp hair
:yep:

Nevermind, I typed in the word "wet" within this thread, and I found some very helpful posts, mainly the above, which answered my question. Off to go henna. Will report results later. :peace:

cupcakes

oh okay. one more question. I have heard that henna lossens hair texture, will those results become permanent if i henna regularly? cuz i am transitioning and i dont want my texture loose forever

It~Can~Grow

oh okay. one more question. I have heard that henna lossens hair texture, will those results become permanent if i henna regularly? cuz i am transitioning and i dont want my texture loose forever

I don't think so :perplexed because Sareca (Queen of Henna) still has great texture to her hair.

Anyone else?

PassionFruit

I think Im getting rid of all my BAQ henna... Its not proven to be worth all of the mixing & waiting hassle...

Im gonna go back to my tried & true BSS brands like Colora Henna and Hennalusent....premixed with the colors of my choice

Lady Esquire

slightly, and no, it is not permanent. plus i think it depends on how textured it is, cause if it has a lot of wave and kink to it, it won't even be that noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.