do you have to put on a scarf for edge tamers?

Lilmama1011

if your applying a gel, pomade, edge tamer or whatever they call it to smooth the edges, is it a must to use a scarf for like ten minutes or are there some you can apply and go?

Prudent1

It is a must for me with certain sleeker styles:yep:. The front section of my hair is 4a, b while the back section is 3c. The 3 complies. The 4s do not :lol:.

greenandchic

I do with edge taming waxes: Creme of Nature Perfect Edges, Curls Passion Fruit, Giovanni 2Chic Hair Styling Wax, etc or even just plain shea butter. I only use a little bit on the edges (about 1" up) and use the scarf to help melt it in and keep my edges down. Its pretty waxy without that step.

rawsilk

You can get away with much less product/water and brushing if you use a scarf. I was able to stop using flat iron and bristle brush on new growth once I started "training" hair with a scarf. Just put it on before you get in the shower - I think the steam helps in taming process too.

Ivonnovi

Yes, and No.

I use a Knee-High as a head band . I cut the top part off (which, I save to use as a very comfortable pony tail holder), and then not both ends. This is comfortably tied around my head as a head-band for a period of time.

The beauty of the headband is that it can be worn 10 minutes or all day without looking awkward (so you're not trapped in the house) and it's not feeling awkward.

I AM VERY TENDERHEADED, this is about the only style of headband I can handle.

greenandchic

I also don't use a brush so a scarf is a must for me for that reason as well.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

rawsilk

Is there anything else that you did (or are doing) to eliminate the need to use a brush? It really does improve hairline and eliminate breakage but my hair can get a little temperamental -- like today, I am out of Sweet Almond Oil and regular leave-in so edges aren't shinning (even with scarf) as much as usual.
I also don't use a brush so a scarf is a must for me for that reason as well.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

greenandchic

Is there anything else that you did (or are doing) to eliminate the need to use a brush? It really does improve hairline and eliminate breakage but my hair can get a little temperamental -- like today, I am out of Sweet Almond Oil and regular leave-in so edges aren't shinning (even with scarf) as much as usual.

I just smooth that area down with my fingers. I may also gently comb it down with my fine tooth seamless comb (very soft teeth). I stopped using a brush last year (long before I texlaxed) because I noticed my edges were thinning a little. I used very soft brushes but that wasn't enough.

SavannahNatural

So it seems the consensus is yes! LOL. And mostly for the reasons mentioned: the scarf helps the product melt into the hair without leaving the waxy look. Now if you don't plan on wearing a slicked back look and maybe just don't want crazy edges then your hair can normally cover, but for the most part, tie the scarf on and take it off before you get out of the car, or otherwise arrive at your final destination. :)

greenandchic

So it seems the consensus is yes! LOL. And mostly for the reasons mentioned: the scarf helps the product melt into the hair without leaving the waxy look. Now if you don't plan on wearing a slicked back look and maybe just don't want crazy edges then your hair can normally cover, but for the most part, tie the scarf on and take it off before you get out of the car, or otherwise arrive at your final destination. :)

:yep: I never liked my hair completely flat on my head so I only use the edge tamers on my edges and nowhere else. I even go back and soften the baby hair with my fingers or a very soft brush.

Lilmama1011

It seems like nothing is working for my edges. I put it on the night before and brush it in and it looks so smooth and wake up and take my scarf off and it looks like i didn't put nothing on my edges! I have already taken back curls passion fruit control paste and Silk dreams edge control. I currently have a natural one called shea and honey and the same thing. I was using eco styler gel but I wanted to leave gel alone and when applying it on wet hair, I went over board and it crusted up for the first time. I think I'm going back to my eco styler and just put it on the next day after my hair is dry

Barbara

Princess
Even castor oil on my edges have to be tamed with a headband overnight. It won't work otherwise. :nono:

Last edited: