Do you prefer you hair...

Do you prefer you hair

• relaxed bone straight

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • relaxed 80 percent straight

Votes: 45 75.0%

• Total voters

cheri_flava74

relaxed bone straight or do you prefer it straight with body left (i am not talking about texturizing)? I read somewhere that hair is suppose to be relaxed on 80 percent but even still it is an individual preference. I, myself, sometimes like it bone straight (not dead a lifeless) and sometimes I like it relaxed straight with body left. If you prefer some bounce left in your hair, do you use a mild relaxer instead of a regular one?

Babygurl

I dont relax bone straight, I prefer the body and bounce that comes along with relaxing hair at ~80%. I use a regular no-lye relaxer, the super strength tends to get my hair too straight.

Elizabeth26

My hair already has thinned out from breakage but my stylist would always relax me bone straight. The next relaxer I get will not be bone straight.

Divine Inspiration

I don't relax bone straight. I use a regular relaxer though b/c my hair is thick & coarse, but I use a lye relaxer and that, FOR ME, is the equivalent of a mild no-lye.

RainbowCurls

I'm transitioning now. But when I was relaxed I liked to relax my hair straight. Otherwise what's the point? It just looks underprocessed and is hard to style.

ETA... actually, I would change my vote if I could. My hair was always relaxed to a type 2 wavyness (I think it's pretty resistent). But I thought that 'that was how straight relaxers made peoples hair'.
But I changed my mind when remembered something from school... other girls with relaxed hair... when we'd been swimming my hair would frizz out bigtime but theirs would still be straight.
Theirs always looked crispier than mine dry thought so I would have to say 80% straight is better.

Last edited:

Lady_Lioness

I also relax 80% straight...I prefer it this way...my hair doesn't have that limp, lifeless look...like back in the days when I would relax bone straight...I love the fullness and bounce I get from relaxing 80% straight.

HWAY

I prefer that it's relaxed 80%. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I like it. I stretched 8 weeks twice but 10 weeks is my goal.

MizAvalon

cheri_flava74 said:
Thanks for your responses, Ladies. For the ladies that relax only 80 percent, how long do you stretch your relaxer?

80% relaxer here. I just love the body and bouce that comes with still having a little bit of curl left in my hair.

I stretch to 20 weeks.

sylver2

I am in the serious minority here.
I like to relax Bone Straight.
I don't want any body. I like it flat and straight :lol:
If I want a lil wave I'll do Bantu knots or braidouts.

Hair Peace

I voted for 80%, but my last relaxed was bone straight. I'm used to my hair being thick, so I really don't like it when it's so limp.

pyxis777

Do most of you who like it 80% do your own relaxers? I have never had any stylist relax any other way than bone straight.

Do you just tell him/her to do it 80%? How long does it take for the hair to be 80% relaxed?

I'm natural right now - pressed once a week - but I'm going relaxed in '06. I'm kinda scared about making the change back, b/c I have had MANY bad experiences with relaxers... But I'm hopeful - I can't keep having them press my hair every 2 weeks. It needs more washing than that too...

Southernbella.

pyxis777 said:
Do most of you who like it 80% do your own relaxers? I have never had any stylist relax any other way than bone straight.

Do you just tell him/her to do it 80%? How long does it take for the hair to be 80% relaxed?

I'm natural right now - pressed once a week - but I'm going relaxed in '06. I'm kinda scared about making the change back, b/c I have had MANY bad experiences with relaxers... But I'm hopeful - I can't keep having them press my hair every 2 weeks. It needs more washing than that too...

I have always had it done bone straight when I went to the salon. Now that I do my own, I relax 80%. I like the wave, and I think it's one of the reasons I don't have as much breakage as I used to.

I use a regular lye relaxer now. I'd always used Super, since my hair is extremely thick and coarse. I leave it on for 16-17 minutes.

Isis

cheri_flava74 said:
Thanks for your responses, Ladies. For the ladies that relax only 80 percent, how long do you stretch your relaxer?
I relax less than 80 percent and I stretch 13 weeks.

lonei

I prefer my hair bone straight but it wont relax bone straight anymore and I'm having trouble dealing with this texlaxed state of affairs. What does 80% look like, is it slightly frizzy and does it mat together when wet?

Nita_h

80 percent and I try to go at least stretch 18 weeks.
For some reason it seems to grow more than if i was to do it every 6-8 weeks

CinnaMocha

Now that I am reading through and gaining a lot of information about how long to relax my hair, I have so much to reconsider in 2006. I have been trying to find ways of giving my thin hair more body and by only relaxing 80 % may assist me with that.

These are just some of the reasons I am so glad to have become a part of this site. I enjoy the informative notes and willingness to help obtaining a goal. Ladies thanks a bunch!

If there is anyone who has thin hair that does practice this method, pls PM me so I can see how well it has worked for you.

CM