Do you share your hair secrets?

Glib Gurl

I have learned so much from this board . . . and, uh, I kind of want to keep all the info to myself! :sekret:

My best friend also is relaxed and she grew out her hair by wearing braids for many years. So she's got several inches on me, but based on what I have learned here, I think I do more to take care of my hair . . . even though it's kinda selfish, I don't want her to find this site and learn all my "secrets" . . . .

Am I the only one who feels like this?

*looking around*

*Michelle*

I don't feel like this. Invite your girlfriend, it's one more thing for y'all to talk about ;)

ETA: Oh, yeah...I share.

Seeking8Rights

Glib Gurl said:
I have learned so much from this board . . . and, uh, I kind of want to keep all the info to myself! :sekret:

My best friend also is relaxed and she grew out her hair by wearing braids for many years. So she's got several inches on me, but based on what I have learned here, I think I do more to take care of my hair . . . even though it's kinda selfish, I don't want her to find this site and learn all my "secrets" . . . .

Am I the only one who feels like this?

*looking around*

:babyb:

That's all I have to say...

No kidding, I tell who I feel will benefit. Because I have some friends who are like HELP, HELP, HELP MY HAIR!! And I say hey I learned a lot form lhcf, you should go on there, and it's like it falls on def ears. I even send links to some of the threads dealing with thier issues and it STILL doesn't help. So I just started being choosey on who I tell, because I feel like my h2o is running out. On the other hand, for those who are seriously looking to learn about their hair and how to maintain it, I share.

Last edited:

Energist

Oh I think it's important to share! I love to share and learn and I even invited one of my good friends here to the site because of how excited I was about everything here.

VeeJai

I don't outrightly offer it because some people get offended but if I see an opening or if I'm asked I'll share all I can

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I share my hair "secrets". It's not a big deal. Most women I share them with just look at me strangely anyway and call me obsessed or weird. My own parents think I'm weird. I get them or my brother to take pictures of my hair when it's retouched or in a new style. I think they are slowly getting used to it. I still get the looks though.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I wish I had someone IRL to share with. All my people think I am crazy-obsessed now!

hothair

When I first got into the site I would share - after a bit - and people asking for advice and NOT listening - I give a basic reggie, if the person gets back to me after a few weeks I know they're serious and let it all out:)

camellia

I don't have any secrets but I share my hair care practices with anyone who;s interested. Most people aren't interested though.

When I wear my hair down I get lots of "Oh wow, you're hair's so long/curly!" "I love your hair, how do you get it like that?"

But I've found that most people are either just complimenting me and don't want to know what I do to it, or they want me to tell them some secret magic potion I use that makes my hair grow and curl.:look:

Tamrin

unapologetic
hothair said:
When I first got into the site I would share - after a bit - and people asking for advice and NOT listening - I give a basic reggie, if the person gets back to me after a few weeks I know they're serious and let it all out:)

You are right. My hair is not APL its getting to shoulder and people love how it look. I tell my friends they look at me funny but some will sit and look when I have my laptop with me. i do share this site with people. Even the lady who is at AVEDA. I told her about LHCF she gave me samples of stuff and took down my number for when they have discounts so she can call me. :D ..i wrote down the site for her. Hope she comes on and join our club.

SpiritJunkie

i was very excited when i first started on here and shared it with ladies at work and my friends but was dismissed as being obsessed with my hair. my kids too. But now..my kids are like...mother..your hair looks good. hmmm mmm.;)

i just don't bother anymore because folks just aint that interested.:ohwell:

mrsjohnson75

I have tried to but my mom, friend, and co-worker look at me like I'm crazy when I start talking about scurl, olive oil, and NO heat :p . So I have stopped sharing:cool: .

PinkPeony

Sometimes.Just yesterday I gave a nice girl I work with the adress to macherieamours blog and the link to blackhairmedia:look:

Last edited:

rabs77

I am constantly telling people about LHCF, whether they look at me crazy or not :lachen: All my closest friends have visited the site and lurk sometimes. To me haircare aint no race or compitition!:) The minute anyone pays me a compliment about my hair on the street, I ask them you got a pen and paper...write this down... I hope they actually visit eventually.

rabs77

ella said:
Sometimes.just yesterday I gave a nice girl I work with the adress to macherieamours blog and the link to blackhairmedia:look:

OT wow Ella, you are really pretty:yep:

wheezy807

camellia said:
I don't have any secrets but I share my hair care practices with anyone who;s interested. Most people aren't interested though.

When I wear my hair down I get lots of "Oh wow, you're hair's so long/curly!" "I love your hair, how do you get it like that?"

But I've found that most people are either just complimenting me and don't want to know what I do to it, or they want me to tell them some secret magic potion I use that makes my hair grow and curl.:look:

i feel the same exact way. I'm willing to share, but most are not willing to listen.

Evazhair

I am willing to share what I know if I am asked,it's all about the approach, but I really hate getting approached about my hair on the street, because I don't want the "attention". I get tired of the people who give blank stares like they just don't want to hear the simple common sense tips that actually work.
Confession:
Two summers ago, I did hold out on my cousin,:sekret: who has went to cosmetology school, because she asked me if "it was all my hair.":cool: I just told her that I use keracare products (I had a fresh relaxer) with the side eye. :cool: I said "you remember how big of an afro I had, right? well, this is that afro, straightened out" I could have told her more, but she offended me with that and plus she is a straight bird, and a hair hater, because she and her mother with jacked up hair suggested I switch to silk elements no lye relaxer (my hair hates no lye) and only use silk elements cholesterol treatment. Now thanks to LCHF I know why their hair has an ashy look. To top it off, they offered me a tub of Kuza thick arse vaseline with herbs in it!!!! :lachen: I was like ummm....yeah right. Now this cousin is growing her hair out(a little past shoulder), and they always ask my dad if my hair is "still long". I would be willing to share everything I know with her if she'd stop being a trifling mother. Evazhair luh da kids!!!!!!

deejoy

I'll share but only if folks ask. If they're the "know everything" type, I wont share. I have a friend that wants her hair long for her wedding but continues to go to a scissor happy stylist that cuts off any length past bra strap. Mums the word with her.

luvmesumhair

Keclee23 said:
:babyb:

That's all I have to say...

No kidding, I tell who I feel will benefit. Because I have some friends who are like HELP, HELP, HELP MY HAIR!! And I say hey I learned a lot form lhcf, you should go on there, and it's like it falls on def ears. I even send links to some of the threads dealing with thier issues and it STILL doesn't help. So I just started being choosey on who I tell, because I feel like my h2o is running out. On the other hand, for those who are seriously looking to learn about their hair and how to maintain it, I share.

I feel the exact same way!!! I will tell a couple of my girlfriends and they would either be like "Oh that is cool" like "yeah whateva" or "well I do not have time to go online...can you start a thread and ask a question for me...I do need to cut my ends, my hair grows if I do not...etc" Or they will say they will do what I suggest and then don't and THEN complain that their hair is still falling out! How crazy is that?

It is frustrating. I do not even mention it anymore to people because they think I am a hair fanatic:lol:

BrooklynSouth

Oh, I try but they don't wanna know. Loaned one of my hair care books to someone..she's still looking for products which moisturize and contain panthenol.:confused: I told her several.....her response..."I still cannot find any." Like..didn't you just hear what I said? Visit LHCF?..Fugedaboutit!!!!

Glib Gurl

Wow. Y'all are more mature than me :lol: I definitely will offer tips if it comes up, but I like the idea of having this "secret place" to learn from others. Even if I did share, my bff is not really one to go onto messageboards for info. Whatev . . . .

stargazer613

Absolutely!!! I love to share hair tips and product recommendations with people.....but its mostly my mom and sisters who'll ask. I've written down several products and websites for them to check out and will give them "goodie bags" with little samples of things to try.

tsturnbu

u should defintely share your secrets. i used to have a friend that believed that i didnt tell her all of my hair secretd because my hair thrived and her hair remained jacked up, and she insisted and told others that i was secretive. i say, if u are confident, why not tell your friends your hair care secrets (especially if they depserately need it). LOL. i defintely prefer to be with girls who are not in competition with me, than with girl who are. if u guys are on the same level, theres no need to be jealous ( i learned this the hard way...chicks always wanna be jealous of a person if they admire things about them).

edited to add.....i may keep my regime to "acquantainces" a secret out of fear that they may think i am crazy. one day i was in class, and my little mixture of hair vitamins fell out of my bookbacg(about 6 different tyoes of pills). a girl sitting next to me looked at me like i was crazy. i am sure she thought i had some tyoe of disease with all those pills.LOL. so, for random people, i dont share my COMPLETE regimen (like vitamins), but i wil tell them everything else (maybe except the mtg i think reg. ppl would get freaked out by that...LOL)

Last edited:

SpiritJunkie

tsturnbu said:
u should defintely share your secrets. i used to have a friend that believed that i didnt tell her all of my hair secretd because my hair thrived and her hair remained jacked up, and she insisted and told others that i was secretive. i say, if u are confident, why not tell your friends your hair care secrets (especially if they depserately need it). LOL. i defintely prefer to be with girls who are not in competition with me, than with girl who are. if u guys are on the same level, theres no need to be jealous ( i learned this the hard way...chicks always wanna be jealous of a person if they admire things about them).

i soo have such a similar story. I am very giving and always share my good fortune with folks. Always. anyway my hair hasn't always been healthy and i just started this thing last summer...so last year i mention to "my girl" aka bff that i was doing my aphogee treatment. she stated oh yeah,,i do that every 6 weeks so i don't get damage.

well HELLO! you seen my unhealthy hair and not once..did this chick ever mention to me about using this stuff.

i wasn't to pleased about that at all. it's all good...my hair has done a big 360 & i continue to be me and share..if they want the info.:)

God's eyes is always open!!;)