does anyone believe....

G

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see why the cycle should or could be wrong?! You shed hair right? That is hair that is ending their cycle.

Yes people have new growth every month. All hair is not in the same place in the cycle. If they were you would be bald every few years. So some of your hair grows (new growth), some hair rest and some hair ends their cycle (shedding hair).

How long the cycle is and how fast your hair grows determine your potential length. If your cycle is 5 year, the oldest hair will be 5 years old and will if not cut have the length of 5 years growth. That is your length limit.

-Katrine

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, said... Yes we have new growth, but we also SHED. Which Proper care can not avoid it's nature.

pebbles

It may be that you need to keep searching for a moisturizer that's more effective for your hair. But believe me, the only way you are going to see some length is by keeping your hair moisturized as much as possible. Hair that keeps breaking off is growing, but if the ends keep snapping off, you will never see any significant amount of length.

Spagirl

My answer would be yes and no. Yes because based on your genetics (most people) you have the ability to grow hair in general the difference is made by how you take care of it, and the thing you consume whether it will be long or short. No because as some have shown in later years your genetics can cause you to be bald headed (ex: male pattern baldness) and your chances of having a complete head of long hair could be very limited.

Nonie

How often do you wash your hair Dejuan? Now I have mentioned before that I wasn't putting anything on my hair as a leave-in until recently. And still my hair grew without breaking. And the reason I didn't experience breakage is because (1)my hair stayed unbothered in braids and (2)my hair didn't get a chance to feel dry. I washed it often...and did condition washes often. In fact, every time it felt dry or seemed to break, I'd take that as a cue to wash it and the breaking would stop. I did this following the advice of Brenda of www.blackwomenrejoice.com, that when your hair starts to break, it's because it is dry and in need of moisture so you need to wash and condition or just do a condition wash. It's because of her that I fell in love with washing my hair.

Maybe you need to wash more often...and use just conditioner on a few of those times and see if it helps reduce breakage. You may have to learn how to do square braids yourself and do your washes using the Crown and Glory Technique from www.growafrohairlong.com . Whereby you put your hair in square braids and wash it in them then undo one condition comb, braid back ...and do that with all of them then put on a plastic cap and go under dryer for deep conditioning. You definitely need to do deep conditioning with a protein conditioner. Then undo to rinse and then braid back so your hair doesn't curl up/shrink too much...or however it goes.
(I don't use the method coz my hair's never out of braids but I think it goes something like that.) You might need to deep condition using a reconstructor or protein conditioner then follow that with a moisturizing one at least once a week. (Unless you have UBH or Aubrey's GBP or LeKair Cholesterol which seem to do both.) I can remember my favorite hairdresser working a miracle with Nexxus Emergencée when I used to have a jheri curl and halting breakage just like that! <snaps fingers> It was then that I saw the wonders of adding strength to hair.

BTW, did you say your hair was breaking or shedding? (Sorry I forgot what you wrote.) If it's shedding, it could be the end of the cycle of those hairs, or you're taking too much Vitamin A, or...

I really think you just need moisture. What moisturizer/leave-in are you using?

Nonie

Dejuan42

im not trying to put any stress on my hair by braiding it while its in a state of healing because of the perms i have baby like hairs on the sides they just stay dormant some are about a 1/4th of a inch. most are about half and inch. I use lekair conditioner it makes my hair stronger the only reason it breaks is because i cant wear anything to protect my hair at night i tried a du rag it just took all the moisture out. I love my hair dont get me wrong but doing everything on that site is too much. I can see if it was severely breaking. I just use the lekair like she told me and when i start getting it braided i think everything should be fine. Ima male what i look like doing all that stuff? lol

Nonie

You're so silly!
(Said that with love) So what if you're male? No one has to know that you put your hair in plaits in the shower. LOL It'll be our li'l secret. (Trust me, no one else is reading this...just you.
) I just thought braiding it when you're washing it so it doesn't shrink too much would make it easier to comb. You wouldn't have to braid the baby hairs, just the bulkier fuller hair to make it easier to comb. You'd have to let it dry out in those plaits. Wear a du rag while it dries if you don't want people seeing your handy work at braiding.

Can you sleep in a plastic cap? I don't care if it ain't cool or manly. If you can (and I know keep a cap better on my head than I do scarves) or if you can wrap Saran wrap around your head at night (no I ain't kidding) it'd keep the moisture in your hair, not to mention super moisturize it since the warmth would swell out the cortex of your strands so moisture can penetrate. This last part is my own theory and the reason I am hooked on the practice.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Have you tried sleeping in a plastic cap? A lot of people do this so that their hair is moist in the morning. I assume they apply some kind of oil moisturizer when they wake up to keep it that way all day... Check nappturality.com for this trick.

I know everyone's hair is different, but LeKair Cholesterol isn't much of a hair strengthener IMO. Keratin protein is one of the last ingredients. I use it as a moisturizing/softening conditioner. Look for something with protein listed in the first five ingredients. Aubreys GPB, Joico K-Pak, Rx Professional Prescription Super Protein Pac and Dudley's Hair Rebuilder are some of my favorites.

I've never tried them, but Hi-Pro Pac, Infusium 23 Power Pac Conditioner and Got2B Emergency Repair Creme are available in most drugstores.

Dejuan42

i dont have any plastic wraps but i know that they would be best for my LITO afro. I've used them before they make my forehead sweaty though but my hair stay moisturerized. I cant braid anyway! I dont think when my hair is able to be braided its going to look neat because of this nappy nappy hair. I want my hair long but i hate the texture my girlfriend braided two braids in my hair and they was so ragedy looking. It looked like i've had them in for 2 weeks. Shes a very good braider so i know its my texture.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Dejuan, you're making me want to

Every hair texture can look nice and neat. I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

Nonie

Dejuan, how are you wearing your hair daily? You could use the braids just for washing then you could try twists for day wear. Or even a braid out. Or a twist out after having it in twists till they get messy. Just a style that won't require a lot of combing so you can leave your hair alone for a while. Maybe your braids didn't look nice coz you slept without anything on your head. When your girlfriend braids your hair, wear a du rag for a while and even wear plastic underneath that for a few hours. Your hair will look really neat when you take it out. Boy,
(J/K) I feel like taking over and doing your hair daily or maintaining your braids for you so you quit making Sassygirl want to cry.
I don't think your hair is as sad as you make it sound. And if you don't have wrap to use at night, use a plastic bag and save it for the next night. If your forehead sweats, it's no biggie, you can wash it in the morning. I don't think your GF minds a sweaty forehead if it's gonna help you achieve a dream.
Besides, it's not so bad if she gets used to associating you with a sweaty forehead. It just means every time you look normal she'll be like "Dayuuuum, someone arrest me coz it's gotta be illegal to have the finest guy in town!!!"

Dejuan42

Nawwwwwwww! I cant braid my hair on the the sides or anything because you know when you part your hair? My parts are really wide compared to the rest of my hair like what in the world. I'd get made fun of wearing braids with wide parts looking like i got big bald spots. It dont look very thin when its just in afro but when i part it. you can see alot of hair missing. I wont even let my girlfriend braid my hair because of the spots. I didnt leave braids in my hair. I was just letting her play in my hair that day and she did two braids on the top and i looked in the mirror. They were messy looking! my hair is only 2 inches on top shorter on the sides. Twist would look funny and i dont like twist anyway. Too much stuff you gott to put in your hair. I already got a bad flaky scalp i cant cure as is

Nonie

Then just do braids to sorta keep your hair from tangling when you go to bed or just for when you wash. If you sleep in a plastic cap and undo in the morning, it'll take up an afro shape if you undo them immediately you remove the plastic because of moisture, but it'll be easy to comb with less breakage. If you wash in braids, and condition in braids (and I mean just square plaits) it'll also be easier to comb when you undo the braids and moisturize to style. Since you like the afro then you don't have to dry it completely while in braids, you can just comb it into an afro after mopping with a towel. If your hair is like mine, then even after being in braids it doesn't get straight (unless they are micros) so you will still get your afro. And if ever you decide to get braids again, (when your hair is fuller) try not to do them in the very same way in the very same place so you don't get permanent partings.
And I encourage you to do frequent washings. People who do swear their hair thickens. Maybe you should add more B5 to your regimen since it thickens hair. Just a thought....

Dejuan, when I wore an afro in my younger days, I wouldn't have been able to comb my hair without getting a headache or losing chunks of it if I didn't put it into square braids before going to bed. And I bet that's how everyone with natural 4A/B hair puts up their hair for the night if they are trying to grow it long and don't want to lose hair while combing. Try it for a week and if it doesn't make you happier, smack me.

Dejuan42

im not doing nothing to my hair until it gets thick again. I didnt lose my hair from braids i lost them from perms. My girlfriend dont braids tight i can barely feel the braids. Washing makes my hair look thinner until a few days go by. and btw i dont love afro's i love braids. even when my hair gets to my length i will continue to wear braids. its not just something to do until i get to my length. I want to wear it pressed a couple of times too

blue_flower

[ QUOTE ]
Katrine said:
LOL yes I have bleached my armhair- and because of the hairs short growth cycle you have to repeat it after just 2-3 weeks.

Interesting no?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done that before and I won't do it again! I had to bleach my arm hair so often that the hair turned *white*! My skin also become irritated because of the bleaching.