I BELIEVE GENETICS DETERMINES HAIR GROWTH RATE

brandy

I've got 2 ladies in my class whose hair grew so much in less than 4 months. These ladies have East African origins, one of them, I call "P", was shoulder length in June and now in October her hair is bra-strap length
. The other one "S", had almost bra-strap length in June and now in October her hair is almost waist length
. This kind of hair growth makes me believe that, the rate of hair growth is based on genetics.

miss_brown

No doubt that genetics determines one's natural hair growth rate (how fast the hair grows). My friend's hair grows over an inch a month and she does nothing but eat right. Some people can increase the speed by taking supplements, for others supplements will only improve the condition of the hair.

The point of contention here seems to be if genetics determines the maximum length one's hair will reach, which is an entirely different subject.

Ipanema

It sounds like their hair grows anywhere from 1 - 1.5 inches a month. I think genetics may influence the type of hair that grows out of the head & they may have inherited resilient strands that don't break much. I think the rate of hair growth depends on a lot of things.

Nonie

I'm with Ipanema on this one, except I'd reduce the lower end to 0.5 inch per month if one's in good health.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I think genetics play a big part in how fast someone’s hair grows, too. But not such a big part in how long someone’s hair can actually get. Whereas it took the now famous “Yvette” one year to go from shoulder length to waist length, it would take me closer to five or six years if I didn’t have any setbacks like breakage or heat damage.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I think genetics play a big part in how fast someone’s hair grows, too. But not such a big part in how long someone’s hair can actually get. Whereas it took the now infamous “Yvette” one year to go from shoulder length to waist length, it would take me closer to five or six years if I didn’t have any setbacks like breakage or heat damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

happylocks

I would say genetics if u told me they did nothing but sit there and thier hair grow, but do u know what they are doing, like how they are eating, are what they are taking, or beauty secrets, If it was just growing with out doing anything I would really think it is something passed down

licutiexx

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I think genetics play a big part in how fast someone’s hair grows, too. But not such a big part in how long someone’s hair can actually get. Whereas it took the now infamous “Yvette” one year to go from shoulder length to waist length, it would take me closer to five or six years if I didn’t have any setbacks like breakage or heat damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
ITA

JazzAngel

This is very interesting.

I have a friend(white) whose hair was shoulder length in December. By, the middle of the year in June her hair was bra strap and the end of the year it was waist length. I just don't understand this amazing growth.

She keeps it up in a bun and washes it 2x a week. She is also 5'9" tall. That is alot of growth.

Three years ago she was complaining about how thin it was and cut it to the nape of her neck, it grew very fast to shoulder lengh and she has been cutting it untill last year when she grew it out as long as it is.

Just dont get it!

Isis

Perhaps genetics plays a role but I think there are other factors involved to effect the rate of hair growth.

In my family, I've seen some members with what seems to be fast growing hair and others that seem to stay the same length no matter what they do. The genetics are the same but the habits, knowledge, health and beliefs vary from family member to family member.

UmSumayyah

I know what you mean, jazz. There was a girl at my school who would come to school in sept. with chin-length hair. Before the end of the year it would be well below her shoulder, approaching bra-strap length.

happylocks

[ QUOTE ]
brandy said:
These ladies have East African origins, one of them, I call "P", was shoulder length in June and now in October her hair is bra-strap length
. The other one "S", had almost bra-strap length in June and now in October her hair is almost waist length

[/ QUOTE ]

can u find out their regime? that is alot of growth,

happylocks

[ QUOTE ]
brandy said:
These ladies have East African origins, one of them, I call "P", was shoulder length in June and now in October her hair is bra-strap length

[/ QUOTE ]

can u find out their regime? that is alot of growth,

DahomeyAhosi

Genetics plays a role but I agree that other factors are just as important. My sister and I have the same parents but she had waist length hair that grows very quickly. This is just because my mother took the right vitamins when she was pregnant with her. My hair grows very slowly but is just as thick and the same texture.

soulchild

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes sense. I think genetics plays a part in how fast it can grow, combined with the length of the growth cycle, specifically the amount of time before the hair sheds itself

happylocks

Thanks brandy, that is alot of growth, I did not think taking vitamins when pregent, affected a child years later

melodee

I don't know about a mother's taking vits during pregancy affecting a person's rate of hair growth. Never heard that before.
Genetics do affect a person's rate of growth and hair texture and type. Siblings could share the same parents but could have various genes dominating their makeup. My siblings and I all have different hair types and different rates of growth, even though our Mom took vits during each of her pregnancies.

sutton989

i too believe that hair growth is genetic. I have black friends who can grow there hair out too there knees in a month and others that hair won't go past there ears.a good way of determining if you can grow your hair long is to look at the females in your family. if they can grow long hair than you probably can too. Also its a well known fact that most black people in this country are "mixed" with "something" that can also play a factor in hair growth. 3a, 3b, and 3c are not "pure" African hair textures, such as 4a or 4b. but too me not about having long hair, its about having HEATHY hair no matter the texture or length

G

[ QUOTE ]

I think genetics play a big part in how fast someone’s hair grows, too. But not such a big part in how long someone’s hair can actually get

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone explain the logic on this?? I mean if genetics determine eye color, how tall/short someone will be, Hair color, bone structure, basically everything that makes up YOU. Why would'nt it be feasible that hair lenght max would not be affected?

G

Nevermind.

I think I found some things.. Here's one:

How Long Can Hair Get?
Three factors determine this:

How long the individual strands in your hair will live.
How strong the individual strands in your hair are.
How well you take care of them.
Let's first look at the first of those three items, how long individual hair strands live.

The Life Span of Hair
A human hair only has a life span of two to six years, after which time it falls out and a new hair soon sprouts in its place. This life span, with the growth rate we just discussed, translates into a "terminal length" of one to three feet (30 to 90 cm). Some people are genetically disposed to have longer-living hair than others, and they can therefore grow longer hair. And many people find, as they age, the life span or growth rate of their hair decreases, meaning their terminal length decreases. So each human being, if never cutting any hair, will eventually achieve a maximum hair length, and that length will most likely be between one and three feet (30 to 90 cm). The good news is that whatever length you achieve within that range, you will nevertheless have enough hair to "look like a longhair"!

Of course all of your hair strands will never simultaneously achieve terminal length

------------------------------------------------
ANGELA CHRISTIANO, PhD: You do hear people say, "My hair only grows to this length, and never any longer," and then you hear people who say, "I once grew my hair down to my ankles, and it could have kept going." It's believed that the length of anagen, the length of the growth phase, is actually different in different people, and we don't know exactly what might determine that, although of course we believe it's genetic.

happylocks

[qoute] can someone explain the logic on this?? I mean if genetics determine eye color, how tall/short someone will be, Hair color, bone structure, basically everything that makes up YOU. Why would'nt it be feasible that hair lenght max would not be affected? [qoute]

bump

ms_kenesha

I believe gentics determines the growth rate as well as the max. length someone can grow their hair. But most people cannot get a DNA test with these results so you just have to do your own experimentation on how long and fast your hair grows. My sister and I have the same parents, but our growth rate as well as max length is different.

Miosy

<font color="purple"> </font> I believe genetics does have a factor on your growth rate but so does other things including environmental factors like water (minerals in water), vitamins, pollutation, etc. Even if someone does not have long hair in the family, I believe that it's possible to have long her by a person educating and taking the time to understand their hair in order for it to grow it's maximum length

Tebby1017

There can be a person who is genetically programmed to grow hair to their knees, but if they abuse it, bleach it, fry it, etc. it won't get there. On the other hand, someone may not be able to grow it quite as long but they give their hair proper care, pamper it, use quality products, etc., they can grow their hair long as well.

I belive on the http://www.growafrohairlong.com site , Robin talks about hair growth and what is genetic and what is not. I believe she say exceptionally long hair is genetic, but most people can naturally grow their hair to around 25 inches or so (I don't remember the exact length).

Tebby