Do LHCF Members Believe they Can Reach Their Hair Length Goals?

lala

I'd like to think that we all believe it, otherwise we wouldn't participate in this forum to see what's the latest/greatest technique or product. I know some may be discouraged, but it really takes patience and a committment to good hair care. I've had waist length hair before in high school so I knew I could achieve it again. But, it's only as long as it is because I've taken good care of it. All hair grows, but if it's breaking or being subjected to an extreme amount of heat or hair color, it may appear to remain the same length.

pistachio

I feel that I can reach my goal, but even though I'd like to be WL by Jan'08, I'm realistic, and I'm creating a cushion of six months(Jul.'08) for setbacks. I think part of the problem is that some ladies don't factor in setbacks, and then when they don't reach their goals in a "timely" mannor, they beat themselves up over it.

dannie

I've reached bra-strap before but it was thin. Now I'm a lil below armpit after A LOT of trimming, so I know I'll be back to BSL soon. That's my goal, and I know i can reach it.

I'm skeptical about mid-back, and if I dont make it, I wouldn't cry over it. But it might possible.

I have no desire to have waist length, and I doubt I could reach it.

tenderheaded

There are so many success stories here, we can't help but succeed! I knew I could grow hair, I didn't think that I could KEEP it relaxed and colored.
I'm about 2 in. from where my natural hair was before I was professionally "balded". My hennaed hair has beautiful shine and a degree of softness that it's never had.
I will meet all of you at the "goal line":cool:

gradygirl

Yes I do believe that everyone on this board can reach their goals. Before finding this forum I was sceptical but you cant look at all the great progress pics and not become a believer yourself. I now SEE that any length is possoble.

Lucia

Of course I do, and if you don't believe that you can, then you won't, it's that simple.

Last edited:

meia

I believe I can and i think with the motivation, knowledge, and creativity of the wonderful ladies on here we definitely can reach our goals and beyond. Personally speaking, I feel i can definitely meet my goal now that i'm natural! ;)

Ayeshia

BTW it is more inspiring to hear success stories form those who never had long hair and now are bsl and below. I think that is awesome :yep:

Wishin4BSL

I believe it! I've NEVER been APL in my life and here I am after six months of TLC. I'm definitely ready and waiting for BSL!:D

Softresses

I believe we can all reach our goals! I reached mine, and set another one. I have almost reached it.

Softresses

ekomba

Country gal said:
I got this question yesterday from my co-worker. She wants to know do we really believe that we can reach bra-strap or waist length? I told her we do believe that. I wanted to confirm and see if members really do believe they can reach their hair desires. My co-worker thinks it is all in genetics and that I won't be able to reach bra strap length. I told her I can't measure my hair length by genetics because maybe the women in my family could not take care of their hair. I told her everybody's hair grows but the trick is retaining your length.

Hey Country Gal :D good question as for me before lhcf i did not think i could achieve my hair lengths goals lol i did not have any and for me shoulder length hair was the ultimate dream:lachen: meaning if i can just get to there and full and ever since joining the board, and seeing all the beautiful manes i never seen such long hair, i never ever seen waistlength hair before. i was just searching for a way to stop the shedding cause my relaxed hair was very damaged. Just looking at all the fotkis and reading all the threads, y all made me transition and then big chop all in a whim:lachen: lol learnt about scab hair chopped some more:lol: the funny part as i was reading threads i was experimenting and look at me now dreaming of waistlength lol

now i m even contemplating butt length if my hair can go there lol i guess no one knows our terminal length cause oftentimes we dont treat our hair right and now with tlc, dedication, vits and al we have no excuses and cant rely on the misinformation we been fed so long and believe media hype that black people cant grow their hair long. i think even if genetics is a factor with tlc only you with time will know and see what terminal length your hair can reach cause in reality we all dont know till we reach there.in the meantime i m help mother nature a lil bit by giving my body all it needs to be fully compliant and efficient lol:grin: :lol: :p

Last edited:

JustKiya

I don't KNOW the future, so I can't say that I KNOW that I will reach my hair goal.
I DO know however, that I'm going to work as hard as I can to reach it - and I suspect that even if I don't end up with hair to the crack of my booty, I'll have plenty long, healthy, thick hair to be proud of.

kristina

OT-Ekomba-your hair look so gorgeous in your signature! And long! I'm inspired.

I'm not sure I'll make waistlength- not because of terminal length but because I'm unwilling to do what it takes to get there and have really thick healthy ends. I might just stop at blunt bottom of BS and call it a day.

zzirvingj

kristina said:
OT-Ekomba-your hair look so gorgeous in your signature! And long! I'm inspired.

I'm not sure I'll make waistlength- not because of terminal length but because I'm unwilling to do what it takes to get there and have really thick healthy ends. I might just stop at blunt bottom of BS and call it a day.

Girl, don't stop there! LOL

I love your hair! It's gorgeous and I'm sooo sure you could have waistlength...if you want it! ;) :)

Country gal

I really believe it now. I having been wearing my hair straight. I couldn't believe that it grew so much. I believe I can reach APL and brastrap length. The ladies on this board make it so worthwhile.

Blu217

Sure. My hair is healthy, when straight is pretty long and continues to get longer. I'm not losing length so I would imagine it'll continue to grow well so long as I continue to look after it properly. My goal is simply "until it doesn't look good anymore." Or until I get tired of sitting on it, whichever comes first :lol:.

GlamourGirl

Lucia said:
Of course I do, and if you don't bleieve that you can, then you won't, it's that simple.

My feelings exactly. I KNOW that I can reach my goals of waistlength, and I'm sure I'll aim for even longer when I make it there.

KiniKakes

I most definitely think we can ALL reach our goals. :) I dont think hair length is determined by genetics at ALL. As I like to tell all my girlfriends (who dont think black folks can grow their hair long): As long as you are complaining of needing a touch-up every x number of weeks, your hair IS growing. You just arent retaining your length! :cool:

I believe that we are all gonna reach our goals on here, and then some! But i certainly do understand the disbelief of many non-LHCF people, because had someone come up to me and told me (2 years ago) that I could have WL hair, I would have looked in their face and rolled my eyes. :p I was definitely one of those folks who believed you needed to be bi-racial or have "Indian in your family" in order to grow long hair. *smh* :lol: So clueless!!!!! :ohwell:

pistachio

My ultimate goal is to be Classic length by my 25th birthday(almost exactly two years away!!). I'm at about 1" below BSL now, so I have like eigthteen inches of additonal hair to grow. If I'm to meet my goal then I need to grow 18" in 24 months, or 3/4 of an inch a month MINIMUM. This'll probably mean protective styling for the next two years...

Nice & Wavy

I know it can happen...it will happen for me too really soon! Then, you can show her pics of all the amazing heads of hair from all the women on the board and she will become a believer too! :p

BTW, just looking at your hair alone should make her a believer! Your hair is gorgeous, thick and beautiful!!!

Nanyanika

I think if i follow my regimen i could acheive midback length, not sure about waistlength though, i didn't quite get there the first time whenm i was growing out my natural hair.

HoneyDew

den1 said:
I think if i follow my regimen i could acheive midback length, not sure about waistlength though, i didn't quite get there the first time whenm i was growing out my natural hair.

Hey Den OT, but what Henna Color cream did you use?

Candy1978

:)I truly believe that I can reach my Hair Length goals ...It is sad, because as Blacks we have been miseducated about our hair, and other ethnicities seem to think that we can't grow our hair long. The only ethnic group that I have met that thinks that a Black woman can achieve long hair are Dominicans.....Hair End retention is the key. and moisturizing the hair is key for Black hair...it really just makes sense.

4a/b
1st Goal: SL
2nd: APL
3rd: BSL or Longer

Don't Shop at Asian Beauty Supply Stores! Visit http://www.youtube.com/watch? to see Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentery and see how a Monopoly is being built to shut Black Business owners out of the MULTI BILLION $$$$ Black Hair Care Industry!!!:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: but we can stop the Monopoly if we stop shopping at their stores:) :) :) :) Visit http://www.BOBSA.org to get info on how you can help this movement!!!

Iluvsmuhgrass

I do. My ultimate goal (I'd be sooooo satisfied with) is midback or waist length. Now I'm at shoulder length and ready to get the growth on! lol Truth is.... it's just plain old common sense practices fueled with science. That's why I love this place. So many wonderful, knowledgeable, and kind women sharing tips. It's a sort of sisterhood. I love it!

Lucia

Lala said:
I'd like to think that we all believe it, otherwise we wouldn't participate in this forum to see what's the latest/greatest technique or product. I know some may be discouraged, but it really takes patience and a committment to good hair care. I've had waist length hair before in high school so I knew I could achieve it again. But, it's only as long as it is because I've taken good care of it. All hair grows, but if it's breaking or being subjected to an extreme amount of heat or hair color, it may appear to remain the same length.

ITA100%

pistachio said:
I feel that I can reach my goal, but even though I'd like to be WL by Jan'08, I'm realistic, and I'm creating a cushion of six months(Jul.'08) for setbacks. I think part of the problem is that some ladies don't factor in setbacks, and then when they don't reach their goals in a "timely" mannor, they beat themselves up over it.

Very good point, then you want to give up, but you just need to re-group, and find out where you messed up, re-work what you've been doing and only use what's really working for you.

blazingthru

I always thought long hair was for the chosen few. I always wanted long hair, but could never achieve it. I would get shoulder length hair, and when I say shoulder length-- I mean just touching my shoulders. I get all excited and want to color and put this in there and that in there and poof its gone. Since I joined in 10/05 and I saw all of those before and after pictures. I realize that I could achieve it. What I love is that we do not keep secrets we share everything about growing out our hair. My hair is the longest it has ever been in my life. I am dying to put heat on it so I can just feel it brushing across my back - not my shoulders but my back but I haven't used heat in a very long time. In October 2007 it will be 2 years. I am to afraid and I can't stand the heat smell. I believe every single person on here that is serious about their hair can achieve their goals - my goal is waist lenght but I would be very happy at brastrap, if my hair doesn't grow another inch I hope it stops at brastrap- I am going to keep on pushing for the goal though