Does ANYONE Have A Stylist That Handles Ur Long Hair As Wonderfully As You Do?(long)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Mini-vent:

I changed hair stylists mid-year 2006. The one before her was once wonderful, but got too comfortable or distracted or something.

Well, the one I have now is good. But I am almost convinced now that there are not many hairstylists (though licensed professionals) who know how to/or want to handle lengthy tresses the correct way.

I swore off flat-ironing after the last stylist. It was something I tried to hurry up the salon visit and avoid 2 hours under the dryer. But after the last stylist scorched my hair something awful one time, I decided that it's roller-sets only at the salon ride or die. :D

Well... let's talk about the detangling process that happens before rollersetting. My current stylist was not gentle with my hair at all.(today) I detangle my wet hair from the ends up (as most of us do). She didn't do this. She used a rattail comb. I know they use these to rollerset, but at least detangle with a wide tooth please! I threw a hint by telling her I would bring my "special comb" next time. (Jilbere shower comb) You guys! When she was finished setting it, I asked if I could see the hair that came out. I knew some came out because as I said above, she just wasn't gentle like I am at home. Y'all, I cannot describe the massive amount of hair that she showed me. It was 2 handfuls easily if not more. I exclaimed "That is not my hair!" in disbelief. And of course, she goes into all the reasons why I lost so much hair.
*I waited a long time to get my retouch (normal for me)
*My hair needs some "treatments"
*Maybe I should've combed it out better before I came
*Maybe the strands wrapped around one another during the relaxing process

I told her next time that we should use something like Humecto as a final rinse conditioner. I don't care for Humecto as a regular conditioner, but it does detangle my hair and I know most black salons keep it in stock.

After coming from under the dryer, I told her I had an idea for next time. I told her that after conditioning and neutralizing, we would apply the Humecto and a conditioning cap and then I would pay her (for full service) and go home and finish up myself. I know that might sound weird, but I was trying to think of a way to save my hair in the future.

I explained to her that I am used to my hair and that I lose all of 7-8 strands of hair, 10-15 closer to retouch time when I detangle my hair wet. I explained to her that I shampoo, condition, and semi-detangle in the shower. Then when I get out, I do a full detangle. I told her that with my hair length rolled up in the shampoo bowl, of course it's going to have some tangling issues. I know that many stylists are not used to clients with our (LHCF ladies)lengths of hair and they may treat it just like a shorter length. Well, me, I handle my hair everyday so I know what to do. My stylist only sees me every 10-12 weeks.

She seemed to feel bad that I would be paying her full price, but going home and finishing it up myself. So she said that next time, we would try the Humecto and she would detangle my hair with me standing up. I don't really see what that's going to do unless there is a shower head with running water above me! :rofl:

So ladies, thanks for letting me vent. But really has anyone lucked up on a stylist that is as gentle with your hair as you are?

All other advice and comments welcomed too. :)

sareca

I found ONE stylist that handled my hair w/ an annoying degree of care, but I moved from that state 2 months later. I've never been able to replace her. :(

I don't blame you one bit for finishing up at home. :nono:

Last edited:

bludacious

I have a stylist that does darn good job with hair. She has clients with all types of length of hair. She give me exactly what I want. I have no complaints. I have seen customers in her shop go from no hair to arm-pit. After my mother's surgery, she lost a lot of hair. This lady nutured my mother hair back to healthy state.

WomanlyCharm

Re: Does ANYONE Have A Stylist That Handles Ur Long Hair As Wonderfully As You Do?(lo

My stylist believes in old fashion hair care (using olive oil, scalp massages,etc.) She does a great job with my hair, and encourages me in my efforts to grow it longer.

The only problem I have with her is when she flat irons...I want to jump out of the chair and scream HEAT PROTECTANT!!!!!! :perplexed Otherwise, she's fantastic.

*Sareca, I can give you her name if you want it, I know we're in the same town*

shunta

Wow, Supergirl, what a story!:eek: My hair is really not that long, but I've realized that no stylist is ever going to handle it as gently as I do. Thank God I only have to go for touchups.:ohwell: Honestly, I would give her one more chance, and if she doesnt do it to your likings then I would just bounce.

sareca

Re: Does ANYONE Have A Stylist That Handles Ur Long Hair As Wonderfully As You Do?(lo

WomanlyCharm said:
My stylist believes in old fashion hair care (using olive oil, scalp massages,etc.) She does a great job with my hair, and encourages me in my efforts to grow it longer.

The only problem I have with her is when she flat irons...I want to jump out of the chair and scream HEAT PROTECTANT!!!!!! :perplexed Otherwise, she's fantastic.

*Sareca, I can give you her name if you want it, I know we're in the same town*

YES YES YES! ahem... *regains composure* ... I'd like that.

ashmack

WOW, you have beautiful hair! My hair is not as long as yours, but it is pretty thick and requires patience to detangle. I have also found that stylists are not at all gentle when it comes to detangling my hair or styling it in general. I once had someone use a rat-tail comb in order to comb my hair out, and all I kept thinking was "you've got to be kidding!" I have now started to stress with my stylist that I am very VERY tender headed and that I need her to use the lightest touch possible to style my hair. This is not all that true, but it has alerted my stylist that more care and caution must be used when handling my hair. That has seemed to work for the most part, although I do have to remind her at times. Remember you are the customer and you are paying for the services, therefore the stylist should cater to your needs and desires. Don't be afraid to speak up about your hair because at the end of the day, you know your hair the best!

Cleve_gryl

*Sigh* No, my stylist (or former stylist) was a monster on my head. He would really lay the hair out after it was dry, but he yanked, pulled and dragged my wet delicate strands to a pulp. My hair isn't long but it seemed like he didn't want me to grow it any longer! He was scissor happy, and blow drying was horrific!! :eek: In order to save myself from being in the salon all day, I'd sacrifice myself to his paddle brush technique.

Unless someone can recommend a good gentle stylist in Cleveland, I'm never going back :look:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
SG I finish my hair at home sometimes. I like my stylist alot. She doesn't complain when I bring my own products. She says nothing as I lay out step by step what I want her to do but she will pick up a rat tailed comb to detangle me if I don't hand her my shower comb when she goes to rinse me out. I tip her well to keep her mouth shut and do what I ask. When I got my hair relaxed this past Friday I asked her to please take her time to detanagle since I could tell she balled up my hair in the sink. she said ok and reached for that rat tailed comb I had to "remind" her my hair was too thick for that.

Unfortuantly I've only experienced one stylist in my life who was gentle with my hair. That's one of the main reasons I started doing it myself. I can recall sitting in the salon while the person (domincan salon so it could be anyone) was rolling my hair and being on fire because of how rough they was combing and how much hair they throw on the floor when they were done. I could never understand why when I did my hair at home that never happened. I also remember going to a stylist one time, although she was a good stylist and was big on haircare, she got a big fat F for wrapping my hair with a brush (I don't know if it was a boar brush and don't care). Little pieces of hair was flying everywhere. Then she has the nerve to tell me that I need to treat it from here on out. On top of that she had just given me a trim and I was thinking, "If you are just going to pop off my hair like this, then a trim was unnecessary!" Ok, now I'm venting :lol: .

miss_a

SG:

This makes me sad. Even moreso, because I am in DFW, and really can't help you. :-( I just haven't had a stylist yet, who truly cares.

But when I do find that "one," I'll let you know...

Your hair is still banging mama!

~A.

sherann

You would think they would get the basic things right. The last 2 times I went to the salon, she "trimed the ends" because they "seemed" damaged. Last time I really watched what she was doing: after drying my hair with the towel, she never once rewet the ends of the hair during rollersetting (and its not like she is very efficient at rollersetting), so of course the ends don't lay flat on the roller and looks frizzy when dry (this never happens at home). o.k I'm done venting:D

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

Oh please feel free to vent, ANYONE! Can't you see that I feel your pain. :yep:

ravenmerlita

I have one -- and he is the only one that I've found in all these years. He deep conditions my hair everytime to make sure it's easy to comb through and detangled and that has really helped my hair to become healthier and retain length. He does trims that are really trims and not cuts. He's the best! :D

But there are plenty of others I could vent about :mad:.

Barbara

Princess
Your hair is beautiful, but I can understand how you feel. When you are used to your hair being handled a certain way to prevent breakage, you expect other stylist to handle it that way, too, right? Wrong. They should know better. They just get you in and out, and if you have very long hair . . . that's more work for them. Some feel they have to charge you more because of your length which my stylist said: "That is a no no."

If anything happens to my stylist, I plan on doing it myself because all of my life I've been going to stylist and Rudy is the only one who handles my hair the way he handles his daughter's hair. That's why it is the length that it is now.

Maybe you shouldn't go to a salon. Here's the information for my stylist that I've raved about in this website. Unfortunately, he's far from Texas.

MR2 Hair & Nail Salon

For those of you who are interested in finding a good hair stylist in Los Angeles, I highly recommend Rudy of MR 2 Hair and Nail Salon, located at 3852 Crenshaw Boulevard (two blocks north of King Boulevard on the east side of the street--across from Angelus Mortuary). His phone numbers are (323) 294-1712 and (323) 292-7714.

I've been going to him since 1990, and I highly recommend him for the following reasons: He is not a "scissor-happy stylist;" (you will reach your hair goals); his customers have been with him for a very long time, and their hair is healthier and longer than other stylist's customers; he won't tear your hair out while handling it; he doesn't press the hair "bone straight" to the point where there's no body; he's moderately priced; and he allows you to bring in your own hair care products. Let him know in advance if you want to continue to use your staples.

He offers tips that are beneficial for your hair. In addition, he's very mild tempered and patient. So for those of you who are fed up with your "scissor-happy stylist," try Rudy.

thiccknlong

The best one for me that i found has relocated...but she was nice enough or cooperative enough (when i'm paying you, it's not nice just cooperative) only once she first moved here and didn't have many customers...

she was nice about using the line that detangles my hair and explaining to me about not overprocessing and other stuff good for my hair...but when it came to detangling, she didnt comb it out under running water like i wanted...she first started with that rat tooth comb, i stopped that quick..next time she KNEW to use a large tooth comb

girl i blame you for sitting there lettting her comb out your hair with a fine tooth comb...don't let no stylist intimidate you...i stops that with the quickness...I'M PAYIN THEM, hmmm mmmm, and i have them to do my hair the way i want...no way your combing out my hair with a fine tooth comb...it takes years to get a strand this length...I'm not letting you yank it out in a hot sec..nuh uh

Divine Inspiration

I've only had one wonderful stylist in my life, and I had to leave her behind when I moved. I've always said that once I'm wealthy, she'll be my personal stylist because my hair was never more healthy & beautiful than when I was going to her.

Other than her, I'm the best stylist my hair has seen. :look:

janeemat

I was just thinking a few days ago about stylist not handling my hair as gently as I do. I must admit, when I got twelve weeks of ng and then went to the salon for my relaxer, I was a little worried about how he would handle the two different textures. I never really thought about that until I joined this forum. He did very well and is not rough at all. But when I think back to my stylist before him, she was extremely rough. She always detangled my hair with a rattail comb. She used it do my wraps and I always burned when she applied my relaxers. She could really hook up a rod set, but since I've properly learned how to care for my, I'm afraid to go to her for a rod set, fear of her yanking all of my hair out. If I decide to, I will definitely take my own comb. I've been tempted at 10 wks ng to get a blow out, but that even scares me because I know there will be a lot yanking and pulling. I just don't trust anyone handling my hair anymore but me, except when I get a relaxer. Now that's bad. LHCF has ruined me!

SweetCaramel1

wow supergirl, i didn't know you went to a stylist on a regular basis. i can't imagine getting all of your hair into a wash bowl without a gang of tangling. i haven't been fortunate to find a stylist that's gentle with my hair or that's not dying to cut it, therefore i stay my behind at home. i wish you future success with your stylist but i'm not understanding why your are going if she's not going to style your hair? maybe you can go there with already washed/detangled hair and have her rollerset it only???

frosty

It's funny that you should put this topic up. I was thinking about this yesterday. Well I like the way the dominician blowout is done, but not the washing and detangling. So I called and asked if they would mind if I came in with wet hair. They said "No, come on in." So I'll still be getting my blowouts when needed. $25 well worth it. As long as I can keep some of my hair on my head. :)

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

SweetCaramel1 said:
wow supergirl, i didn't know you went to a stylist on a regular basis. i can't imagine getting all of your hair into a wash bowl without a gang of tangling. i haven't been fortunate to find a stylist that's gentle with my hair or that's not dying to cut it, therefore i stay my behind at home. i wish you future success with your stylist but i'm not understanding why your are going if she's not going to style your hair? maybe you can go there with already washed/detangled hair and have her rollerset it only???

Well, I go to get my new growth relaxed/touched up. I tried self-relaxing twice myself in the last year. That is something I'll have to stay away from. I'm not quick enough. I'm heavy-handed. I don't get all of it straight and I get some of it too straight, and a plethora of other problems I cause to myself. I caused myself some breakage and decided that putting in my own chemical is not going to work. :nono: So, in a way, I must depend on a stylist for a relaxer. That's the only time I go to the salon.

RZILYNT

I love this thread.
I do have a stylist the will do what I ask her. But because I can't stand to wait, I always finish my hair at home, I air dry, so it does not matter for me. I also bring my own products. Of course my hair is not as long as yours though, so I can imagine the extra care needed since most of it is still in the bowl during the rinse.

I did have a friend who is a stylist that did my relaxer once and OMG. She started the relaxer at the front of my head and I had to stop her and to tell her to start at the crown as that was the thickest part of my hair and the most resistant. Then afterwards she started detangling at the top with a rat tail comb. I thought I was going to die. I politely asked her for a larger comb and if I could detangle.
I thanked her and paid her and said never again! Her response was as I get to do your hair more often I am sure that I will get better at this. :lol: She will not practice on my tresses. She is a natural head and I could not believe how heavy handed she was. She has been doing hair for years.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

thicknlong said:
The best one for me that i found has relocated...but she was nice enough or cooperative enough (when i'm paying you, it's not nice just cooperative) only once she first moved here and didn't have many customers...

she was nice about using the line that detangles my hair and explaining to me about not overprocessing and other stuff good for my hair...but when it came to detangling, she didnt comb it out under running water like i wanted...she first started with that rat tooth comb, i stopped that quick..next time she KNEW to use a large tooth comb

girl i blame you for sitting there lettting her comb out your hair with a fine tooth comb...don't let no stylist intimidate you...i stops that with the quickness...I'M PAYIN THEM, hmmm mmmm, and i have them to do my hair the way i want...no way your combing out my hair with a fine tooth comb...it takes years to get a strand this length...I'm not letting you yank it out in a hot sec..nuh uh

You're right--thanks for the wake up call. :up: I've become a soldier when it comes to trims, but this is one area I still need to work on.

LocksOfLuV

IMO, I feel it's kind of a unrealistic expectation to expect someone who isn't your family and a random person to take care of your hair. I am graetful that I am blessed enough to do my own hair. Seriously. Even when I was a faithful salon-goer, I knew I had to do most of the maintence myself-they were there just to make it look pretty. I just couldn't (and still can't) see myself putting that much trust in a person. I don't understand the black woman's faithful trust relationship with their stylists. Some people can't even speak up for themselves.:confused: Anyways, I am off on a tangeant...

My other 2 stylists where okay. The woman was nice, and so was the man (even though it was hard to get a 'secret' out of him and was slightly ruff at times). I have been contemplating going back to one of them in the near future. But now that my hair is longer I am so scared that (even though when I make the appointment I will make it VERY known that I don't want/need/intend on getting a "trim") they might try and get sneaky with the scissors.

All these horror stories make me scared.

mw138

The only time I see a professional is to have my hair trimmed. I do everything else only because I don't trust stylists to do my touch ups. I've had bad experiences when I was younger where stylists left the relaxer on my head and then went to do someone else's hair. My scalp would start to burn and when I would tell her, she would just take a spray bottle and spray the section that was burning. :huh: Another stylist overlapped my hair while doing a touch up. :nono: Basically these stylists thought that my fine hair needed to have a relaxer on it for 30-45 minutes when it only needed to be on for 15-20 minutes. I hated that they assumed that my hair was like other clients'.

My current stylist trims it exactly how I ask her to. I found her at a local salon/spa in my area. She's really great with my hair!

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

LocksOfLuV said:
IMO, I feel it's kind of a unrealistic expectation to expect someone who isn't your family and a random person to take care of your hair. I am graetful that I am blessed enough to do my own hair. Seriously. Even when I was a faithful salon-goer, I knew I had to do most of the maintence myself-they were there just to make it look pretty. I just couldn't (and still can't) see myself putting that much trust in a person. I don't understand the black woman's faithful trust relationship with their stylists. Some people can't even speak up for themselves.:confused: Anyways, I am off on a tangeant...

My other 2 stylists where okay. The woman was nice, and so was the man (even though it was hard to get a 'secret' out of him and was slightly ruff at times). I have been contemplating going back to one of them in the near future. But now that my hair is longer I am so scared that (even though when I make the appointment I will make it VERY known that I don't want/need/intend on getting a "trim") they might try and get sneaky with the scissors.

All these horror stories make me scared.

Everyone is different. Everyone's personality is different. I haven't gone into detail, but I'll just mention that my stylist is a fellow church member of mine. I have taught 3 of her 4 children. I have taught school with her sister. I've formed a relationship with her 8 year old neice (even before she was my stylist) who goes to the school where I currently teach. So, yes some people are more relational than others and with all of these connections to my stylist, it's hard not to be.

LocksOfLuV

Supergirl said:
Everyone is different. Everyone's personality is different. I haven't gone into detail, but I'll just mention that my stylist is a fellow church member of mine. I have taught 3 of her 4 children. I have taught school with her sister. I've formed a relationship with her 8 year old neice (even before she was my stylist) who goes to the school where I currently teach. So, yes some people are more relational than others and with all of these connections to my stylist, it's hard not to be.

In your situation, I think I would be rather close to my stylist too. Seems like you are friends first.

PuffyBrown

Oh my Goodness, I would have been so PO'd:angry2: :swearing:

Totally thinning your hair....that is a serious professional error!!

I haven't found a really good stylist since I moved from San Diego to TN. My first and only real stylist was from the MidWest (Ohio)...Sista could really lay some hair.....my hair grew long and grew fast.....there are a few good stylists here but unfortunately it is really really pricey....much more than I am used to paying...which is ridiculous because as AAS (African American Sisters) we should be helping each other. In anycase, I don't know if I would be willing to give her another chance:mad:.

If I have to teach her how to do my hair than I can just save my money and do it myself, or find somebody else who knows what they are doing..

I think a good idea may be for people who are members of the LHCF locate the other members in your area and give each other touch ups since there is familiarity with how to handle long hair....Spread the love....

lonei

This is exactly why I had to learn to do it ALL myself. I say go to her for relaxers then finish it off at home, good luck.