My 1st experience with a non AA stylist

ArrrBeee

Around this time last year I did the BC. My 3c/4a hair is now extremely healthy and thriving. I went on Naturally curly's website and found a salon near me who uses Ouidad products and has experience with curly hair.

The stylist was nice, competent and took her time with my hair. She used lots of conditioner when she was working with my hair. She used a shower type comb to detangle and sectioned off for the trim.

She did NOT scalp me and only trimmed what was necessary. She told met that my ends looked good for a year of new growth (thanks LHCF). She also offered me tips on taking care of my curly hair.

As far as the Ouidad products, I wasn't impressed enough to give up my $3 activator and $3 gel.

I would definitely go back to her again!

i'm glad you had good results. after i stopped my transition and rent back to relaxing i went to a non aa stylist. he works at the only salon in my area that uses phyto so i went for it. my hair has never looked better.

dimpalz

Occasionally they're better than a black stylist anyway. The last 3 times I've had a touch up my stylist has been a 21 year old white girl. I think that little bit of fear makes them more attentive. She bastes my scalp better than a christmas turkey, she never overlaps, she actually LOOKS at my ends to make sure the strength is right and theres never overprocessing. She needs to get her times up (shes takin a couple of minutes too long but it never ever tingles or is overprocessed) and she always detangles with a nice wide comb and blow dries like a pro. I havent heard of many black people here in the UK not having a set, but at this salon she just blowdries it straight out AND they use affirm sensitive scalp. I have to ask her for a trim and she always shows me how much shes cutting off and even cuts into the hair (kinda holding the scissors vertically) to retain the length. The downside is girl's styling aint too great but I can live with that.

Miss*Tress

I've been to non-black stylists in the US, UK, and France and have always had positive experiences. All of them have been very professional. Finding a black stylist who is professional is not *that* easy. I wish that weren't the case because I'd rather support black-owned businesses. :(

dimpalz

Not to get off track, but also before I went to this "All-hair" salon I didnt even know that they offered drinks in salons and that it doesn't take 6 hours (yes 10 til 5) to get my hair retouched. My salon was such a rip off (recently retouch price was upped to £75 ($130) and they haven't even changed anything!!!!) I'm so glad I stopped going there, my stylist was soooo scissor happy!

pink_flower

I returned to the salons this year because taking care of my hair at home was becoming a nusance.

She is non AA and I love her! She works at the JC Penney salon and is very knowledgeable, professional and REASONABLE priced. This is my first non AA experience and initally I was very apprehensive but she is by far the best stylist I've ever had.

I try to go bi-weekly and it's such a treat to have your hair done by someone you trust.

berry87

I'm glad you had a great experience! :D Its great going to people who respect what you want, without a tongue lashing:grin:

MizAvalon

shawniegee said:
It's great when you can find ANYONE to take of your hair. I have yet to experience this, though.

I agree. Finding ANYONE to take care of your hair properly is a miracle in itself!:lol:

I have gone to my non-black stylist for years. She's great! The one I had before her was black and she was great as well!:)

Lovelylocs

Yeah. In my experience, white stylists tend to be very gentle when they comb hair. :yep: I don't know why AA/dominican stylists aren't always that gentle. :ohwell: