Does ANYONE Have A Stylist That Handles Ur Long Hair As Wonderfully As You Do?(long)

BklynHeart

Supergirl, I know your pain!! I was with my stylist for 13 years before she moved to maryland (if anyone comes across a stylist named Phyllis with locs, PLEASE PM me!!!!!). My hair has been long, short, and long again with her. When she left, I started going to her assistant since she's been with her for about 6 years. Girl, her assistant didn't learn NONE of Phyllis's techniques!!! :mad: She was rough applying the relaxer, and at first didn't leave it on long enough. She made it seems as though I had the roughest hair in the world, when she should of realized that Affirm takes awhile on some people's hair. She switched relaxers on me to something stronger and left that one on for a good 20 minutes!!! Needless to say, my hair started breaking off, and hasn't been the same since. And that happend LAST year!!

PuffyBrown

Oh Ladies and get this....

This is kind of off of the subject a smigit but since we are on the subject of how our stylist treat our hair b4 I left the last girl that was doing my hair. My hair stylist had a really bad habit of over scheduling people. I hate it when I am getting my hair done and the stylist has to stop in the middle of either roller setting me or something like that to work on another clients head that just came out from the dryer or something. In anycase, don't you know that one day the stylist that I was going to not only had a client under the dryer, me in the chair after a deep conditioning and I had just come out from dryer. This other lady "walk in" came in with VIRGIN hair, it was really thick and she wanted to get it done (relaxer) because she was getting married the following weekend.

So she put the relaxer on this ladys head, she worked on my hair and then said wait a minute I have to go to do something...I assumed that she was just going to the bathroom. I got tired of waiting which I know was like way past 20 mins. It dawned on me that that other lady had perm on her head. I could tell that she was burning because the other stylists had start talking to her about how she was feeling. Don't you know that nobody bothered to rinse that relaxer out of her head until like 5 min later after I said Hey why don't somebody rinse her because she is burning. I am not sure why the lady did not say something herself. The stylist came back when we told her what had happened she just assumed that "everything was okay" she did not apologize or anything. I stopped going to her immediately.

Ms Red

A hair horror story is what led me to LHCF almost 2 years ago. And thank God for it!

I had ONE stylist who did my hair from age 5 to 20. She treated my hair with the utmost care and whenever I needed a trim, I would have to BEG her to give me one. When I was 18 and wanted my hair relaxed for the first time she begged me not to. At the time I was BSL and natural but I wanted to fit in and have swinging hair in college. :lol: After 3 appointments she finally gave in but instead of relaxing my hair, she lightly texlaxed it. Boy she thought she was slick. As soon as I turned 19 I permed the hell out of my hair in college with a BOXED perm! Added African Pride Highlights on top of that! :eek: She would not talk to me on Spring breaks! :lol:

I am in another state now and transitioning back to natural. I haven't trusted a stylist fully since her and cannot WAIT until I can show her my BSL length natural hair again :) I've learned to SPEAK UP in stylists' chairs about combs, detangling, trims, cuts, you name it. If I am paying you for a service, then my requests should be performed. I have not been to a stylist since 2005.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
[SIZE=+1]:yep: I do. She was there taking care of my long hair before "I" broke it off. She's with me now that I'm growing it back. She specializes in growing long healthy hair. [/SIZE]

lana

I do. It's me! Because of LHCF I am my own hair stylist. I always treat my hair with the utmost care and concern. I'm gentle with it, I wrap it up at night, treat it like silk and pamper myself along the way. I take 24 hour care of my own hair. I do my own texlaxers and trims (just learned to trim my own hair). I do my own deep conditionings and shampoos. I love my hair and it shows! I'm my own best stylist and I haven't been to a salon in about a year and don't plan to EVER go back.

I've been burned by the pressing comb at salons. Burned by the flat iron, prior to going natural years ago I was burned chemically by relaxers. I was made to wait HOURS at a time. I once finished a 500 page book while waiting to get my hair done. Yes, I read fast, but NOT THAT FAST!

This one lady that did my hair would be WAY too rough with my natural hair while it was wet, she used the blow dryer too roughly and broke off my fragile edges. I had no kitchen when I went to her!

Another guy would press my hair until it was lifeless and I looked like a drowned mouse. One man styled my hair and made me look 50 when I was really 20. I tried a man that was closer to my own age and he would cut my hair without asking just to make the "curl hold better"!!!

So no, I refuse to go to stylist. Even the ones that I liked trimmed too much, pulled, ripped or burned me. No thanks, I'll save my money and spend it on me in a different way.

By the way - my hair is growing strong and showing it's length!!!

Healthb4Length

I'd like to vent! My current stylist is really good at weaves...but not when it comes to hair health. He has his ways and although he's really nice and friendly, his hair care practices for "natural" hair is frightening. When I took out my weave he shampooed my hair, prior to shampooing my hair he put some conditioner to detangle my hair with a boar's hair brush!!!! I lost so much hair(3 LARGE HANDFUL) I taught I was going to faint, after that trauma he shampoos and conditions my hair, luckily I brought my products! I had to ask him if I could deep condition under his dryer (he didn't object), after he rinsed out my hair he began to detangle my hair again (with that same brush!!!) I quickly gave him my bone comb because I was feeling ill at that point. He detangled with out issue, blowdried my hair and then used a hot comb to go through my NG and then a stove iron to make it ultra straight. Well my hair did look good but he pressed certain parts (kinkiest) really hard cause my scalp hurt, two weeks later that spot on my scalp is still sore:ohwell: Plus the hair that was under my weave is healthy, thick and elastic but the hair left out has some permanently straightened pieces...

Last edited:

lala

I do...but she's 2,000 miles away. I have to travel to OH to get my hair done the way that I like it. I have a tender scalp so she holds my hair close to the scalp and starts combing gently from the ends. She always sprays something to detangle and doesn't let the hair dry out before detangling.

I can't give any shout outs to anyone in Vegas though. The stylists here are just okay. They are not experienced in styling long, kinky hair. They'd rather slap a weave on your head and call it a day. Their expertise is not detangling/maintaining long, healthy hair. They'd rather comb all your hair out, so they'll have less to deal with the next time you come in...

Honi

There is no board.
I know your jaw hurt after it hit the floor. What's funny is that she came up with all the excuses as to why it was so much hair.

I dunno...I agree with her just doing the neutralizing and conditioning step and you do the rest. That is just too much to lose when your so used to very little. It's very traumatic.

Your ends look yummy! After my next touchup I'm gonna round my ends out a bit. I figure 2 inches would do the trick.

KeyahGirl

Re: Does ANYONE Have A Stylist That Handles Ur Long Hair As Wonderfully As You Do?(lo

Supergirl, you're one of my hair idols, so I am very sorry you're having issues finding someone to care for your lovely tresses as much as you do.

I lucked out big time. I was determined to use Phytorelaxer and found a salon to do it. I went for a rollerset at said salon, hairstylist was stank and unprofessional so I decided to nix the relaxer there and do it myself. Disaster, point blank. Then I decided to try another salon I'd heard of and was leery of because the stylist was a white man, but after my Phyto disaster, I decided to just go to him for a treatment and see what happened. Oooh, chile, this man is a KEEPER. He had me when after the treatment, he whipped out his OWN wide-tooth comb for detangling! I was like, "OMG, you're not gonna try to take out every hair on my head with a rat-tail comb?" He looked at me like I'd just tried to set my shoes on fire. He was like, "WHO tried to use a rat-tail comb on your hair?" He was too scandalized! And he did an amazing job. Went to him today for a Phyto touchup, and my hair is amazing. Plus, we worked out a schedule where I'll get a dusting each time I see him to take off the damaged ends. He cuts, shows me how much he cuts, then goes ahead with it. No turning me away from the mirror bullshizz ... I am just so sorry I didn't find this man sooner.

Personally, if I were you, I'd give this hairstylist another shot. Your story tells me two things about her: One, that she's very honest. Only an honest person would feel reluctant to take the same amount of money for doing much less. Also, she seems to really want you to be pleased with her work, otherwise she would told you just WHERE to stick that Humecto. I would try the standing up thing briefly. Have her show you the comb after she makes a couple of passes. If it's not to your liking, then you'll say, "Well, we tried. I'd rather do it my way and finish up myself because I am more comfortable." Great luck, and regardless, your hair is STILL beautiful! :D

V

vivadiva85

Re: Does ANYONE Have A Stylist That Handles Ur Long Hair As Wonderfully As You Do?(lo

KeyahGirl said:
Supergirl, you're one of my hair idols, so I am very sorry you're having issues finding someone to care for your lovely tresses as much as you do.

I lucked out big time. I was determined to use Phytorelaxer and found a salon to do it. I went for a rollerset at said salon, hairstylist was stank and unprofessional so I decided to nix the relaxer there and do it myself. Disaster, point blank. Then I decided to try another salon I'd heard of and was leery of because the stylist was a white man, but after my Phyto disaster, I decided to just go to him for a treatment and see what happened. Oooh, chile, this man is a KEEPER. He had me when after the treatment, he whipped out his OWN wide-tooth comb for detangling! I was like, "OMG, you're not gonna try to take out every hair on my head with a rat-tail comb?" He looked at me like I'd just tried to set my shoes on fire. He was like, "WHO tried to use a rat-tail comb on your hair?" He was too scandalized! And he did an amazing job. Went to him today for a Phyto touchup, and my hair is amazing. Plus, we worked out a schedule where I'll get a dusting each time I see him to take off the damaged ends. He cuts, shows me how much he cuts, then goes ahead with it. No turning me away from the mirror bullshizz ... I am just so sorry I didn't find this man sooner.

Where are you 'cause this is one white man I need to see!

*crossing fingers, hoping you are in atlanta*

Supergirl

With Love & Silk

KeyahGirl said:

Personally, if I were you, I'd give this hairstylist another shot. Your story tells me two things about her: One, that she's very honest. Only an honest person would feel reluctant to take the same amount of money for doing much less. Also, she seems to really want you to be pleased with her work, otherwise she would told you just WHERE to stick that Humecto. I would try the standing up thing briefly. Have her show you the comb after she makes a couple of passes. If it's not to your liking, then you'll say, "Well, we tried. I'd rather do it my way and finish up myself because I am more comfortable." Great luck, and regardless, your hair is STILL beautiful! :D

I am very jealous of you and your white man right now! :lol:
The bolded is EXCELLENT advice. I'm going to follow it. Shoot, maybe I should print this thread and have it with me so I can follow your advice step by step the next time I see her. :lol:

glamazon386

My mom's does. But she doesn't handle her hair at all. She just wraps it and combs it down. Her hair dresser is great but I didn't like how she did my hair. Now that I'm natural I'm scared to go to her.