Does anyone want to try reviving the fotki community?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Glad this thread was bumped because I had no idea and would not have went to the site until after it was closed.

I used to love Fotki for hair inspiration and knowledge. But then the thing with the virus and losing pictures made it difficult to go to. Plus now we have YouTube and Instagram so we get live action and instant updates which makes Fotki seem "old".

I think I am just going to save all my old pics onto a flash drive.

silenttullip

Would any of you considering doing hair tumblrs? or is that doing too much? Not trying to hijack the thread but people use tumblr for everything and often it's mainly hq pics so..... Just curious... We could make up our own tags and everything or do we already have an lhcf tumblr ring going on?

so1913

I actually forgot about this and haven't taken any action.

Does anyone know what's going on? I am still able to login and see all my pcitures. I didn't see anyomore email updates about the closing of free accounts, so unsure if they changed their mind or if it will go down any day now...

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
Just got an email today from FOTKI saying they can no longer support free accounts.

All free accounts are being closed On October 1, 2015.

I'm glad I came in here! I had no idea they were doing this. Apparently a lot of people were complaining so they extended the deadline to October 31, 2015. Which still isn't enough time but I will have to make do.

I want to keep mine, but I think I will move all my pics to flickr since they give you 1 TB for free. Eventually I will back them up someplace else like on a personal cloud also.

I loved fotki for the role it played in my natural hair journey but I fell off from updating also. I enjoyed a lot of you ladies' albums too.

Chula

Fotki was amazing. I'm not sure if they're going to restrict access or take it down, but I was able to log in & download my photos onto my phone. It was interesting to see the old camera I used to have! Ugh I would've been so much further on my journey had I stayed natural & consistent.

LiLi

Wooow. This brought back so many memories. My fotki name is junglist. I'm sure it's unlocked for anyone to see. I am down to start up hair journaling again. I am going to pay for two years. I have way too much stuff on there to let go of it. I think once youtube started, that's what I went to but it's too time-consuming to do videos; reading is so much quicker than having to watch an entire video. Thank you OP for starting this thread!!

SpicyPisces

3 Years Natural
I'm glad I came in here! I had no idea they were doing this. Apparently a lot of people were complaining so they extended the deadline to October 31, 2015. Which still isn't enough time but I will have to make do.

I want to keep mine, but I think I will move all my pics to flickr since they give you 1 TB for free. Eventually I will back them up someplace else like on a personal cloud also.

I loved fotki for the role it played in my natural hair journey but I fell off from updating also. I enjoyed a lot of you ladies' albums too.

I'm so glad to see this. I saw this thread months ago, but completely forgot to download my pictures. I don't have much on it (I haven't updated it in years and completely stopped using it when free users couldn't post blog entries anymore), but I have pics from early on in my HHJ that I would've hated to lose :nono:

sunnieb

Oh no. I have a ton of stuff on fotki. I wonder if its all lost. I didn't have backups for some stuff.

I didn't pay before the deadline and I went in to pay tonight and all my stuff is still there. I renewed for 2 years. After that, I'll probably let it go. Hopefully, I don't procrastinate and not back up my pics and verbiage. :look:

shortycocoa

Hair Weave Killer
I was trying to move all of my pics but I ran out of time. I tried to pay for a 1-year membership three times now, but my account still says free. I have asked their customer service department about it and they say it's not a problem on their end and to check with my bank. My bank says it's not a problem on their end and it has to be fotki.

So I guess I will have to try to pay using paypal or something else. I asked them what would happen to my pics in the meantime, because they were making it seem like they were going to delete everyone's free accounts and pics. The answer I got was "make sure I have several back ups to the photos that are stored on fotki." Gee thanks.

The pics are still there, they just suspend the accounts so you can't access your pictures unless you upgrade to be a premium member.

Jade Feria

Man, I haven't updated mine in YEARS! I just went on there and saw that my account (and many of the ones that I followed/stalked) was suspended. Not sure if it's even worth paying for a subscription, because I don't know if I'll keep updating.. BUT, I do want to keep all my pics/journals/notes etc.