Does anyone want to try reviving the fotki community?

bydebra

I use shutterfly now. Its not a community, but it is more like a website, more ways to design it, etc.

Come January I will be updating. Havent updated in about a year!

https://cutiebe2.shutterfly.com/

There is a way to make a community on Shutterfly. I'm in a couple of community organizations and we use it that way. I think it would have to set up as a "LHCF" community and then we could each join...kind of like a private social media page.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I really like fotki. I have one but haven't updated in many moons lol. The shutterfly thing sounds really cool. It would be great to have a LHCF picture sharing community.

FindingMe

I used to :love: FOTKI!!!! I had it from 2007-2010. Gotta say my hair looks about the same! LOL

I had given access to only my FOTKI friends. I can't even remember how it worked. Did someone have to request to be my friend in order to see the album?

http://members.fotki.com/FindingMe/about/

At any rate, I am enjoying the photographic evidence of my hair journey... :yep:

prettybyrd

I just went through and took off a bunch of pics from my fotki last year, but I am willing to start it up again if folks are trying to bring back photo sharing on the site. I have an instagram account, but I don't like sharing my hair pics there.

I would love to post pics and get feedback from folks I trust (y'all :lol:) about how it looks and what I could try on my hair.

I loved fotki! :)

ETA: Here's my fotki: http://members.fotki.com/anewdai

ETA2: How do you pronounce "fotki"? Is it FAHT'key or FOT'key?

Last edited:

CrinkumCrankum

Not sure if this is why others stopped but I got a nasty computer virus from Fotki years ago. The first time I dared to visit after it was fixed my alerts started going off. Have not been back since.

I think this was the major reason why many hopped of the site suddenly around 2007. I know I was hearing about it at the time, and decided not to return.

Last year, I tried to log into my account again for the first time in ages. But I guess because so much time had passed, I couldn't log back in (and I tried every PW I have ever used. Plus, the email address linked to the account has since expired). I couldn't even find my username or profile when I did a search :sad:.
I think Fotki may have deleted my account. But I will still try again one day to get back in. It would be nice to see how far I've come in the last 9 years.

CrinkumCrankum

I just went through and took off a bunch of pics from my fotki last year, but I am willing to start it up again if folks are trying to bring back photo sharing on the site. I have an instagram account, but I don't like sharing my hair pics there.

I would love to post pics and get feedback from folks I trust (y'all :lol:) about how it looks and what I could try on my hair.

I loved fotki! :)

ETA: Here's my fotki: http://members.fotki.com/anewdai

ETA2: How do you pronounce "fotki"? Is it FAHT'key or FOT'key?

FAWTkey. It's such a weird name lol.

sunnieb

Ok. I have hundreds of pics that I never posted. I'll go through them and post to my fotki. :yep:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using LHCF

sunnieb

Just received an email saying that my free account will be closed on October 1st.

I think I'll pay for 1 year (around 20 bucks) and then cancel after that......maybe. :look:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Just received an email saying that my free account will be closed on October 1st.

think I'll pay for 1 year (around 20 bucks) and then cancel after that......maybe. :look:

I've kept mine. The site went down and lost pictures. I got all of mine back, eventually, after years had gone by. I think that's why most folks left. Fotki wasn't functioning anymore. I thought they were down and out, but they came back.

I keep mine because it was the genesis of my book. Also, I have a document on how to strategically seal the hair strand (from 2006), which was later named the LOC Method. I pay for mine. I still get visitors. The bulk of my book came from my answering questions and doing my own analysis, which I documented and placed on that site. I decided to write a hair book when the site went down so I could keep a record of all of my information that I had developed and gathered. I figured if I put my conversations and info in a book, it would never be lost in my lifetime. Here's mine below. Please let me know if you can't access it.

http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Just saw my email. Haven't posted in my fotki in 4 years. Loved fotki. But I'm not interested in paying $1.60 a month for it.

It really kept me motivated and on top of my hair care.
I stopped using it when it became a spam site (it added a virus to my laptop).

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@Chicoro heeeeeeyyyyy! I stalked your Fotki for years!

I'm leaning towards keeping mine because even though I don't update, my cowash/airdry and self-relaxing albums still get views. I really like helping people see how results look on a regular person.

@sunnieb,
I'm jealous of all that beautiful, long, thick, gorgeous hair you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you keep your fotki up if there is traffic. Again, you have to determine what is best for you, though. I think I am unusually attached to mine because participating on LHCF and Fotki allowed me to forget my grief and sadness (for a little bit) due to the death of my father in 2004.

Crystalicequeen123

Awww...I do miss Fotki!! :grin:

I used to document my hair progress religiously back when I was relaxed. Then, I was documenting my transition to natural. But after I went natural, I sort of fell by the wayside. :ohwell: One of the reasons is because the site started acting funny! Does anyone else remember that?

But my Fotki is still up! I can post my link in my siggy or post it in this thread.

Fotki: https://public.fotki.com/crystalicequeen123/
PW: hairpics

I get nostalgic when looking at my old pictures again. :grin: Oh boy those were good times back then boy. I was so young, full of life and hope lol. :lol: The last time I posted updates was back in

OMG...has anyone seen this?? I got this message when I just logged into my fotki!! :shocked:

Important notice
Dear Free Fotki member,
Unfortunately, we can no longer afford to provide free service to our Free members. In the past, we supported free membership by displaying ads but we are no longer doing that because of many complains that ads frequently mislead and disturb user experience.
In order to develop new functionality and provide a better service and experience, we need your love and support.
Also this month we celebrate our 17th birthday. And we are running a sale. This is a good chance for you to show your support. We have many affordable options for a memberhip. Starting as low as $1.60 per month (if you buy one year for $19.20) or even cheaper if you buy several years. You can check all plans and prices here.
Free accounts will be closed after October 1st, 2015.

We hope for your understanding and support.
Best wishes,
Fotki.com Team

I'm so mad that this is happening! :nono: Is ANYTHING "free" anymore?? I mean sheesh! They nickel and dime for everything online now! Smh! :wallbash: So many of my beloved sites are either going out of business, or they're making you pay for a membership. (Xanga, GrooveShark, OneTrueMedia, etc....) :nono:

Oh well....so much for sharing my hair pics... I wonder, does that mean that if we DON'T pay, we will no longer have an account or be able to see our hair pictures anymore??? :ohwell: