Does long hair make you look older?

Neish222

I was having a conversion with a co-woker about another co-worker's beautiful long hair(mid-back). The co-worker mentioned to me that she thinks that the woman should have her hair cut shorter(shoulder length) because it makes her look old. The woman is only like 35! If I had mid back length hair I would never want to cut it. EVER!

hOnii

As I get older, my hair will get shorter. I planned on growing out my hair, then once I got done with college and prepared to enter the career world I would cut it off. I do agree that Hair looks better shorter with age.. but thats just me. :ohwell:

Nay

I don't think long hair per se makes you look older. I think an old looking face makes you look older :grin:

WhipEffectz1

As I get older, my hair will get shorter. I planned on growing out my hair, then once I got done with college and prepared to enter the career world I would cut it off. I do agree that Hair looks better shorter with age.. but thats just me. :ohwell:

The closer I get to 40, the closer my hair will get back to shoulder or chin length. Longer hair does make you age once you start to get up there. jmho!!!

baby42

I AM OLDER AND THE OLDER I GET I LOOK BETTER IN LONGER HAIR:grin:I JUST LIGHT IT UP A BIT.:lachen::lachen:ITS GROWING AND I ANT CUTTING NO MORE:nono::lachen::lachen::lachen:IF YOU WEAR IT TO FIT YOUR FACE YOU SHOULD LOOK GOOD.:yep::yep::yep:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
I know for a fact that the longer my hair is the younger I look....folks never ever guessed my age correctly when I was wearing BSL micros, they always guess me at 5 to 10 years younger than my actual age. :D

Tee

I know for a fact that the longer my hair is the younger I look....folks never ever guessed my age correctly when I was wearing BSL micros, they always guess me at 5 to 10 years younger than my actual age. :D

I totally agree with you. One of my classmates said I couldn't be a day older than she was. She is 20. :grin: I like that girl! lol:spinning:

Now, :imo: I think white women look older with longer hair more so than black women. They (white ladies) use to say this all the time and I would disagree UNTIL, I paid attention to them after they cut it short. I think layering your hair to your face has a lot to do with it too.
Keep your darn stones to yourself!:blush:

CurliDiva

I think a head of thick, long hair makes a person look younger - sort of the same way a tight body seems youthful!

dreysonsmommy2011

I think that it is the complete opposite. When I wore my hair in a short Halle Berry cut a few years ago everyone thought that I was older, but now that it is longer everyone thinks that I am younger.

tsturnbu

well, im 29, and i probably wont hit tailbone lenght until i am 31. and at the age of 31, god willing, i am sure i will still be fierce....looking "old" and all

Dymondz7

I think it's individual and depends on the person and what looks best on them - dispite age.

Last edited:

SleekandBouncy

I think long hair is aging IF you're aging in a particular manner like extreme droop or something.
I do notice that amongst my white friends and a lot of mainstream magazines the consensus is that long hair is not for older women, but I believe it's partly because on average they age faster.

My aunts have longer and they actually look younger for it, since a lot of women hit 35-40 and cut their hair I actually associate many short cuts with older women, because I see it so often.

Long, thick will always be associated with youth and as long as it doesn't contrast too much with your facial age and it's not thin then I think it's fine and actually tricks ppl to thinking you're younger.

NuMe2004

I think it ultimately depends on the individual, but longer hair has typically been known to make people look older because the length can drag the face down. In Halle Berry's case, I think longer hair has made her look younger.

kim

How many people believe that color makes a difference? I'm wondering if you should lighten your hair the older you get. I see alot of women who do that.

schipperchow1

I think I look younger with longer hair & older w/it shorter or pinned up. I associate shorter hair with older women.

BTW - a number of the members w/wsl & longer hair are not 20.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I have long hair and I'm "old" :grin:
People always tend to think I'm younger than I am.

I think curly, coily and kinky hair with fullness looks young on most people :yep:

Some people's hair gets really thin after menopause, so it's more flattering to cut it shorter.

FlawedBeauty

i think short hair cuts make people look older. my mother had mong hair then cut it and it made her look older than she was, same with a friend of mine.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't think long hair per se makes you look older. I think an old looking face makes you look older :grin:

Same thing I was thinking. It's all in how you carry and style it. Some people just look old.....long hair or not.

Connie

I think it really depends on the person. The lady who used to live in the downstairs from me is a year older than me but looks 10 years younger and she always wore her hair short, the exception being the one time she got a chin-length weave. Her being a size 1-2 may have something to do with it too.

frankie

Long dry scraggly hair...yes! Long, well-conditioned, thick hair...has a youthful look. You have to do what looks good for your face and body type, lightening my hair would not be the answer for me.

bablou00

It depends on the person and the condition of their skin (lines, wrinkles, bags...so on). Plus the majority of AA women age well so I think regardless of what length we have we look younger than most.