Does long hair make you look older?

antoine

can we define "older" because I dont think anyone in the 30's-40's is old per se. I think it has more to do with the total package: skin, body size and fit, style of dress and hair. I think you would be surprised at the number of AA women walking around with long hair that we assume are young, but are really much older than we would guess.

Tiffchelle22

I think this statement only applies to white women. No offense to white women.

I agree with this. Also, I think it makes a difference whether or not you style and/or color your long hair. If it's just sitting there all flat and dull, well, it isn't flattering. But if it is styled and maintained nicely, I think it contributes to youthfulness. Now, one white woman that still looks great with long hair, even at her age, is Jane Seymour. I think her hair is lovely.

northernbelle

Hair length depends on so many factors, including facial structure, hair texture and lifestyle. Long hair aesthetically doesn't compliment every woman on the basis of the type of face and hair she has. Furthermore, a person who works out daily probably would not have long hair for the sake of practicality.

I for one have fine thin hair, and an oblong face shape. Long hair past the shoulders weighs down my facial features, and begins to look limp. I achieve a more vibrant, youthful and attractive look with shorter, layered hair. I also work out, and so dealing with reams of hair just won't work for me. Last, I deal with kids all day as a teacher. I need for my hair to look attractive and professional, and be easy to manage without having to primp and play with it. I simply don't have time to do that. Heck, there are days when I don't even get to the bathroom! That's bad, I know.

Anyway, some things to consider.

lexi08

Hair length depends on so many factors, including facial structure, hair texture and lifestyle. Long hair aesthetically doesn't compliment every woman on the basis of the type of face and hair she has. Furthermore, a person who works out daily probably would not have long hair for the sake of practicality.

I for one have fine thin hair, and an oblong face shape. Long hair past the shoulders weighs down my facial features, and begins to look limp. I achieve a more vibrant, youthful and attractive look with shorter, layered hair. I also work out, and so dealing with reams of hair just won't work for me. Last, I deal with kids all day as a teacher. I need for my hair to look attractive and professional, and be easy to manage without having to primp and play with it. I simply don't have time to do that. Heck, there are days when I don't even get to the bathroom! That's bad, I know.

Anyway, some things to consider.

This is true for me too. I maintain a more youthful look with shoulder length or chin length layered hair. In my 20's I grew my hair out to armpit length. Now that I am getting closer to 40 that length ages me a bit.

Much2much41

I think it depends on the woman. If she looks old in the face, nothing about her hair is going to make a difference, because there are plenty of older women w/short hair that look old.

Britt

For me, I think long hair makes me look younger. When my hair was cut short I looked older.

Right.. that's b/c your in your 20s still.. when I had the short fierce looking bob cut last year, I def. looked a bit older... rather more mature... when my hair is longer I look younger, especially since I kinda have a baby face.

I think the 'long hair makes you look older' is applicable to women who are like 45+.. sometimes when they get a shorter haircut and lighten their hair a bit, it shaves off some years off of them.

MizAvalon

It really depends on the person but I do know that a lot of black women, as soon as they hit a certain age, they all run out and get the "older black lady" haircut. Short on the sides, longer on top. Give 'em a sweatsuit and a fanny pack and they're good to go!

sareca

It really depends on the person but I do know that a lot of black women, as soon as they hit a certain age, they all run out and get the "older black lady" haircut. Short on the sides, longer on top. Give 'em a sweatsuit and a fanny pack and they're good to go!

:lachen:... scary... :look:

Zahrah

Picture this: My mom is 72, full, shoulder length hair, colored cinnamon thanks to colourshines had me rollersetting her for over a year. Not a split end in site. Thinking long hair makes you look older. Meanwhile she gets compliments on her color and her girlfriends are jealous of the full head of hair @ 72 (some people thin out as they get older?) She abandoned me and went to the hairdresser to get an inch trimmed. She came home with 3" GONE! It looks terrible and she is describing herself as looking like a poodle. Now she's asking me if it will be back by december. :spinning:

Luvmylife

My mom fell into this same belief and religiously kept her 3c hair cut short until the day she died. I however, don't think it's the length that makes people look older but the hair color. Long grey hair can look a bit 'witchy' if you don't know how to pull it off.

Cioccolata Picture this: My mom is 72, full, shoulder length hair, colored cinnamon thanks to colourshines had me rollersetting her for over a year. Not a split end in site. Thinking long hair makes you look older. Meanwhile she gets compliments on her color and her girlfriends are jealous of the full head of hair @ 72 (some people thin out as they get older?) She abandoned me and went to the hairdresser to get an inch trimmed. She came home with 3" GONE! It looks terrible and she is describing herself as looking like a poodle. Now she's asking me if it will be back by december.

I think thinning hair might also be a factor with older ladies. Long thinning hair would probably put some years on you.

hOnii

I think the 'long hair makes you look older' is applicable to women who are like 45+.. sometimes when they get a shorter haircut and lighten their hair a bit, it shaves off some years off of them.

yes, i agree!

neonbright

It is on the person, I have almost BSL hair, no one who meets me and most of my co-workers believe that I am almost 40. I am ofter mistaken to be 29, when I had short hair I was told I looked older.

OneShinyface

I think it depends on the person. I just turned 44 and most people think I'm 30...and my hair is mid-back length. Most people think I'm younger when I wear my hair down versus when I'm rockin' my usual bun.

I don't plan on cutting my hair anytime soon.

Yellowflowers

I totally agree with you. One of my classmates said I couldn't be a day older than she was. She is 20. :grin: I like that girl! lol:spinning:

Now, :imo: I think white women look older with longer hair more so than black women. They (white ladies) use to say this all the time and I would disagree UNTIL, I paid attention to them after they cut it short. I think layering your hair to your face has a lot to do with it too.
Keep your darn stones to yourself!:blush:

I would like that girl too. :grin:

This rule has always applied to white women. Sometimes even when they cut thier hair, they still look old.:lachen:

A black woman does not age as quickly and will look good in whatever style she choses to wear her hair in as long as it neat and in good taste. Most black women look younger than they really are anyway.

In my opinion nothing is more aging than a unkept head of hair. Oh Lord! and those poor women who take to wearing those old wigs that are so beat up, they look like the poor women sleep in them.:nono:

However these days I do see A LOT of nice looking older women with both long and short hair.:yep:

Our beauty is different and this rule does not apply.

Last edited:

Tee

I would like that girl too. :grin:

This rule has always applied to white women. Sometimes even when they cut thier hair, they still look old.:lachen:

A black woman does not age as quickly and will look good in whatever style she choses to wear her hair in as long as it neat and in good taste.

In my opinion nothing is more aging than a unkept head of hair. Oh Lord! and those poor women who take to wearing those old wigs that are so beat up, they look like the poor women sleep in them.:nono:

However these days I do see A LOT of nice looking older women with both long and short hair.:yep:

Our beauty is different and this rule does not apply.

I agree with you! I laughed until my side hurt at the Blue!:lachen:

SouthernTease

I think sometimes long hair
can look "homely"... if you're
older, you really have to make
sure your hair is on point on every
level in order for it not too long homely/old.

Dak

I think it ultimately depends on the individual, but longer hair has typically been known to make people look older because the length can drag the face down. In Halle Berry's case, I think longer hair has made her look younger.

I totally agree. I think long straight hair accentuates the vertical lines on the face, especially between the side of the nose and the sides of the mouth. So to pull off long hair effectively, you have to cut those lines and create more softness around the face.

Dark black hair sometimes doesn't work either, as the complexion changes dark black can make you look too sallow...

Don't ask me how I know this, suffice it to say, I'm almost 51.

Neish222

I agree with all you guys. I guess it depends on many factors(face, color, style, etc) But this girl really does have some beautiful thick mid-back length hair and doesn't look old to me at all.