Does the Back of your Hair grow too slowly?

Mahalialee4

Have you found a solution to the problem to get the back hair to just take off in terms of a growth spurt? Care to share? bonjour

mango387

Hello!

First of all, I am new member here and I have benefited greatly from the hair advice offered. I feel bad for offering advice, because I have never posted before and I am still working to get my hair where I would like it to be. I had this problem too, however, and I was successful in solving it. I always considered my self to have 100% 4b hair, pure and simple. Well, guess what? In the very back, is this section of 3c/4a hair. I never knew this until I went natural as an young adult and began styling my own hair. (My mom did not allow me to comb my hair until late in high school, because she figured I would be bald if she did. When she handed me the reins, I handed them over to the hairdressers instead of learning my own head:eek:). Anyway, I (and the hairdressers for that matter) was treating all of my hair as if it were like my 4b hair, so the back section seemed to stay the same length while the front grew. I am not sure if you are relaxed or natural, but you might want to check that area, to see if it has a different texture that might require more or less moisture, oil, relaxer processing time, etc.

MizaniMami

mango387 said:
Hello!

First of all, I am new member here and I have benefited greatly from the hair advice offered. I feel bad for offering advice, because I have never posted before and I am still working to get my hair where I would like it to be. I had this problem too, however, and I was successful in solving it. I always considered my self to have 100% 4b hair, pure and simple. Well, guess what? In the very back, is this section of 3c/4a hair. I never knew this until I went natural as an young adult and began styling my own hair. (My mom did not allow me to comb my hair until late in high school, because she figured I would be bald if she did. When she handed me the reins, I handed them over to the hairdressers instead of learning my own head:eek:). Anyway, I (and the hairdressers for that matter) was treating all of my hair as if it were like my 4b hair, so the back section seemed to stay the same length while the front grew. I am not sure if you are relaxed or natural, but you might want to check that area, to see if it has a different texture that might require more or less moisture, oil, relaxer processing time, etc.

I totally agree with everything you are saying here! And welcome by the way!!!

Though my nape is more of a 4f:lol: I still have to treat it with sympathy. Since it used to be the first area I relaxed, it is always OVERprocessed and never used to grow past one inch. Then I got smart:

My nape is now the last thing I relax.

I give it extra tlc: more conditioner when conditioning, more moisture, etc.

And I also don't pull it tight with tight ponies and such.

JOI

Mines grow fast in the back, it's usually the crown that takes forever to grow lol.

Yea my hair grows fast in the back, it's this darn front that just chugs along. I've always wanted long bangs, but that might not be happening anytime soon.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I would like to know the answer to this also because it's been bugging me for awhile now. My nape area is so much shorter than the rest of my hair and I don't know why. It's my only problem area. I'm on a quest to grow it out if at all possible.

inthepink

No problems with the nape area. Even when I experience breakage there, it always tends to catch up. Now the front - that's another story. It grows soooo slowly.

Mahalialee4

Well I don't texturize or relax. So that is not an issue. One thing I have started doing is NOT tyeing my silk/satin scarves, low on my kitchen area. I think that it may impede the flow of blood when I wear it night after night to bed. I tie one scarf at mid level loosely (just below the ears) and then I take my looong black satin scarf and just place the lower back of my head in the middle of the scarf, bring it forward and wrap it across to cross the front of my head and forehead, then tie it back not too tightly just beneath the other one. so no pressure on the back and nape or on the front. I noticed that my hair was not growing or filling in in a couple of spots on the nape and I thought it was old damage from braiding, but a light bulb went off. That is exactly where the knots on my scarf always rested!
Also, I am paying more attention to the back area so I part it in the middle and apply my deep conditioners lavishly, or oils or WGO to make sure it does not get dried out or mat because my hair is very thick. I notice that it is tangling less in those areas so I may be on to something. bonjour

DahomeyAhosi

I've identified some slow growing areas and I just make sure I apply MTG to these areas specifically. Now the growth rate is uniform.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
mzlatisha said:
actually my hair grows fast in the back..
mines too! It looks like a have a shag. The slowest parts of my hair are the crown/sides.

OP..like someone mentioned, maybe give the back more attention. Also, the back could be rubbing up against something like your car headrest that could be hampering growth.

Good Luck to you!

Jay

jaded_faerie said:
*sigh* my back grows SO fast, while the front barely makes it each month :(....i need solutions for that! :)

I wish I could say the same..my front grows fast and I dont do anything to it. I give the back all the attention

ladybug71

My hair at the nape has always been shorter than the rest of my hair, and my moms was the same way. It got better once I got a relaxer, but it seems to not want to get past a couple inches in length. It will either break off completely or thin out. I have been trying to take preventive measures...relaxing that part last, more moisture in back, cornrow it, etc., but it's been a never-ending problem.

Ayeshia

this is the part of my hair that gorws the fastest and my nape is loooonnngggg. I always cut it because I hate the tail look.