Does the LOC method work for you?

HOPEsaidit

Yes yes and more yes! LOL. That method saved my hair. (I even had to do a YouTube vid about it to spread the word... ha!)

I use Hawaiian Silky Moisture and Sheen for the "L", Boundless Tresses for the "O" (although I'll now be using jojoba oil because of the business reviews I've seen recently :perplexed), and Kinky Curly Knot Today for the "C".

coolsista-paris

i tried à few times but it weights down my hair. i have fine hair and i need very low manipulation.

if anyone has an idea ill be happy to take it ;-)

gn1g

i tried à few times but it weights down my hair. i have fine hair and i need very low manipulation.

same here.

I only do this when I plan on wearing a protective/updo style for the week.

virtuenow

coolsista-paris I do a very light version of LCO on some days to make sure I'm not weighing my hair down or greasing it up. Instead of spritzing the liquid directly on my hair, I spritz into my hand and rub in hair. That way I can control how much liquid my hair gets. Next, instead of using a thick cream or buttery cream, I use a hair lotion. I apply a thin layer (about pea sized). Then I apply a very thin layer of a light oil.

mshoneyfly

Does anyone experience shedding doing the LOC method? I have tried and each time that I do it I have shed hairs just pull right out! I usually do it every night - should I not?

I use a leave in first; then my coconut oil; then a moisturizing cream last. What am I doing wrong?

I have tried several times until I found the right products. I did it last night and got some shedding right after. more shedding this am but really nice moisture. Here is what I used:

L=Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-In
O=Camellia Oil
C=Nubian Heritage EVOO & Moringa Custard
B=Nubian Heritage EVOO & Moringa Butter

I then did the GHE method overnight.

The shedding might be due to a recent protein overload from using Wen 613 and trying tea rinses. I also used protein during the relaxer process last week. I will chelate and DC tomorrow to see if that stops the shedding

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

coolsista-paris

coolsista-paris I do a very light version of LCO on some days to make sure I'm not weighing my hair down or greasing it up. Instead of spritzing the liquid directly on my hair, I spritz into my hand and rub in hair. That way I can control how much liquid my hair gets. Next, instead of using a thick cream or buttery cream, I use a hair lotion. I apply a thin layer (about pea sized). Then I apply a very thin layer of a light oil.

thank you. ill try it out.

is it only on your ends?

curlycrocheter

I understand how it could work, in theory. But whenever I've tried it, the C just makes my hair feel coated & greasy.

I get much better results from the LCO method.

GettingKinky

I just started doing this about a week ago and I love, love,love it. I've been doing it every morning but that's probably overkill. I may go down to every other day.

L- water from a spray bottle
O- EVOO
C- DB transitioning cream

I've only done this for protective styles. I'm not sure if it will be too heavy when I wear my hair out.

QueenAmaka

Live, Love, Laugh :)
This could be a huge game changer for my hair. I tried it tonight. I always thought that oil was supposed to seal the moisture. I cowashed with humectress and then applied my oil mix and then covered that with whipped ginger. My hair feels AWESOME :lick::lick:

southerncitygirl

still going strong with the lco method of loc. i have been using komaza califa spray diluted with water for my liquid portion and still using my claudies and oil mix.

KaramelDiva1978

I am a believer! I tried it for the first time on yesterday and it works wonders. CON lemongrass leave in, coconut oil and Wen Fig in that order. At first I did care for the wet feeling the Wen gave but moisturizer hair is the end result. I no longer have to moisturize every day, every other is fine.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
It's still working great --

L - water from rinsing conditioner from my hair
O - squeeze out excess water with coconut oil soaked hands
C - apply creamy leave in

SunRai Naturals

I am experimenting with this method. I'm not sure if my hair has stayed moisturized from the LOC method or because I oil rinsed during my co-wash routine. If it is because of the LOC method my hair stayed moisturized for a lot longer than usual and I'm impressed.

Hair wet after co-wash
My L was Garnier Fructis Leave-in conditioner cream (water based)
My O was Castor Oil
My C was Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy cream

Next time I am going to use a lighter oil Grapeseed and see how it works.

Last edited:

Rozlewis

This method is a game changer.

I will use the LOC or LOCB

L = Komaza Care Vitamin Reign or water or water based spritz

O = Avocado, Olive, or Coconut oil to the length (these oils penetrate the hair shaft) and JBCO to the ends

C = Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream

When I use the "B" I will use a lighter moisturizer such as the Qhemet Moringa conditioning Ghee. Then I will apply the "B" = any hair butter such as Kizuri Olive and Shea Moisture Butter.

MissMusic

Chicoro describes this method in her book Grow It! and then someone somewhere coined it the LOC method. She has an internet interview where she breaks the method down here:

http://www.agrlcanmac.com/2009/11/chicoro-talks-moisturizing-and-sealing.html

I Oil Rinse every time I wash and I don't feel the need to add more oil to my hair after washing, so I use my leave-in after my wash and then add butters and/or creams as stylers. If you read Chicoro's article, she breaks down why the method works, thus allowing you to customize it for yourself.

ETA: Added this to answer the question of where the method came from

snoop

I didn't think that this method worked for me because generally my hair hates oils, but you really do just have to keep experimenting sometimes.

L - Water + Giovanni Direct Leave-In
O - Regular Castor oil + a little almond and macadamia nut oils mixed in
C - Home made hair cream (black seed oil base)

Lilmama1011

i really don't see how this method would work, wouldn't the oil block the cream out? i think the water and oil just giving results and the cream is wasted product :look:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
i really don't see how this method would work, wouldn't the oil block the cream out? i think the water and oil just giving results and the cream is wasted product :look:
Lilmama1011, I go back and forth but my hair clearly performs better when I apply the cream step. I don't get it nor can I explain it.

BranwenRosewood

I use LCOB and my hair LOVES it. I only moisturize on wash day (Tues/Sat) and my hair stays moisturized until the next wash day.

Ogoma

Lilmama1011 The link below might help explain why this works. Chicoro based the order on evaporation rates.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/03/does-conditioner-or-oil-really-need-to.html

Here are a few interesting excerpts:

The question about whether oil or conditioner NEEDS to penetrate hair arises time and time again in the comments section and therefore I thought it deserved its own post.

Short Answer
No, the effectiveness of a hair conditioner or an oil is not based on whether it penetrates hair or not.

Some of these are ingredients found in a lot of creams and conditioners used as the "C" for a lot of people

NON-PENETRATING INGREDIENTS
Ingredient
Surfactants e.g behentrimonium chloride, behentrimonium methosulfate, stearalkonium chloride, cetrimonium chloride, dicetyldimonium chloride

Situation
Used in a hair conditioner - rinse out or deep conditioner

Reason why it does not need to penetrate
These ingredients act on the surface of the cuticle to help smooth it down (remember that the negative charge in shampoo can raise the cuticle). They also soften the cuticle layer and when co-washing, these are the same ingredients needed to clean the surface of hair.

Ingredient
Hair softeners e.g the surfactants listed above, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, some polyquaterniums

Situation
Used in hair conditioner - rinse out, deep conditioner or a leave in

Reason why it does not need to penetrate
These ingredients again deposit on the surface of hair and soften the outside of hair.

charmtreese

Because my hair is so fine the LO method works best for me. The C part of LOC tends to weigh my hair down, create tangles, and leaves my hair feeling less soft and moisturized.

L - Aloe Vera Juice 1/2, Joico Liquid Reconstructor 1/4, Oyin juice 1/4
O - JBCO or Paltas soft hair oil

coolsista-paris

Because my hair is so fine the LO method works best for me. The C part of LOC tends to weigh my hair down, create tangles, and leaves my hair feeling less soft and moisturized. L - Aloe Vera Juice 1/2, Joico Liquid Reconstructor 1/4, Oyin juice 1/4 O - JBCO or Paltas soft hair oil

i have fine hair and im trying things but either its not moisturized enough, or it is but then dries out fast... or it just weighs my hair down.... for the moment i wear updos, buns but besides that my hair is not feeling the way i want it too.

colibri972

The L.O.C method don't work for me. My low porosity, coarse hair are not fond of oil and butters. Creams are an emulsion of oil and butter so they don't work on my hair too.

Low porosity coarse haired ladies do you have a trick? I dream to have moisturized hair during three day.