Dominican Blowout Concerns

JFK

I haven't straightened my hair since my BC (July 09) and would like to see my progress and clip any split ends before going further.

I was thinking a Dominican Blowout and flatiron would do the job but when I watched a YouTube vid showing the process it made me reconsider. There was smoke coming from the blowdryer...it scared me, LOL.

I'm afraid of getting more split ends because of all the heat used.

Have you done a Domincan blowout? What do you think?

hair4romheaven

yes and I stay away from them however some people can do it with no problem. I would suggest blow drying your hair your self with heat prot. if you need a trim then you may need to go to someone you trust.

Dommo

U don't have to get a dominican blowout; You can do a normal blowout and flat-iron. IMHO, there's no need to get a dominican blowout if your going to flat-iron afterwards anyway.

BlackMasterPiece

I used to get them regularly when I was relaxed and I look back now thinking how lucky I am that I have thick coarse resilient strands. The process is ALOT of direct intense heat and aggressive swift brushing of the hair.

I think it would be much better if you blowdried yourself with a good blowdryer like a tourmaline ionic one and flat-ironed with a 100% ceramic iron.

JMH1908

If you go to the dominican salon, just ask for a wet set and a wrap if you want it straight. The only heat you would encounter is under the dryer. I would never get the blowout and flat iron..that's way too much heat in one day..:nono: I guess it also depends on the salon too, so I would ask.

PrincessLinzz

I have always gotten Dominican blowouts and my hair has nevr been damaged. I get them about once a month. But I only get it blown, they NEVER flatiron. They do use a lot of heat with the blow dryer so I would X out the use of a flatiron, thats odee!!

JMH1908

I have always gotten Dominican blowouts and my hair has nevr been damaged. I get them about once a month. But I only get it blown, they NEVER flatiron. They do use a lot of heat with the blow dryer so I would X out the use of a flatiron, thats odee!!

Once a month is not bad at all...so no, you would not get any damage from just a blowout, but when they use the flat iron with it, that's when I see it can become a problem..too much direct heat used at one time. Also, as long as this process is used once in awhile. Just make sure they use a heat protectant too or bring one with you.

lexiwiththecurls

I used to go and I never had any heat damage-- but it hurts!! It is so hot thats why I don't go anymore. But your hair comes out nice...but you can get the same straight style and body going to a salon that uses a good ceramic iron. That used to be my alternative when I didn't want to spend 60 plus, I would go to the Dominicans for 40...even cheaper in NY and other places.

MaintaintheSexy

I haven't straightened my hair since my BC (July 09) and would like to see my progress and clip any split ends before going further.

I was thinking a Dominican Blowout and flatiron would do the job but when I watched a YouTube vid showing the process it made me reconsider. There was smoke coming from the blowdryer...it scared me, LOL.

I'm afraid of getting more split ends because of all the heat used.

Have you done a Domincan blowout? What do you think?

I am against blowouts. The blow dryers are waaaaay too hot and the brush bristles are usually hard and they do it with such a vengeance that your scalp hurts afterwards. Try to do it yourself.

Consider getting a set and then only blowing the roots. The Salon I go to in NY does a great job of just getting the newgrowth straight. Always walk out with swangin healthy hair. I would not reccomend the direct heat to your entire hair shaft.

naturalmanenyc

I've never known a Dominican salon to do a rollerset, blowout and then flat iron. They usually rollerset & blow out the hair OR rollerset & flatiron. I would not recommend a rollerset, blowout and then a flatiron.

I typically get a rollerset & just have the roots blown out with the roundbrush.

beans4reezy

I used to go to the Dominicans quite often for a wash and set and
when I wanted to treat myself or if I was going out and wanted to see my hair's length, I'd get a blow out. No adverse effects to my hair. Then again, I never went overboard with them (like getting them weekly). My hair actually did quite well under the care of the Dominicans.

lilsparkle825

they work great for me...i also never have heard of getting the blowout and a flat iron. once they run that blow dryer through your hair, you shouldn't need a flat iron. i found a girl who doesn't yank on my hair (then again, she has long healthy hair, so i think that has something to do with her lack of abuse) so i always ask for her. just DC and take a good heat protectant...you should be fine./

everything in moderation.

NappyGoddesse

they work great for me...i also never have heard of getting the blowout and a flat iron. once they run that blow dryer through your hair, you shouldn't need a flat iron. i found a girl who doesn't yank on my hair (then again, she has long healthy hair, so i think that has something to do with her lack of abuse) so i always ask for her. just DC and take a good heat protectant...you should be fine./

ITA with Everything in Moderation!! If you're going to the Dominicans every week or even every other week, then you may have some heat damage. I have gotten my hair done at an awesome Dominican salon in Atlanta for a couple of years now and I have always been VERY happy with the results. Now if you do not take care of your hair between visits, then you should expect damage from the heat. However, when you're going to get your hair straightened, you should take the initiative and do a deep condition to prepare your hair. Take care of your hair and you won't have to worry about it falling out! That's just my personal experience advice!

I actually used one of my heat passes and had a blowout this weekend. Usually I let them give me a deep condition, but due to time constraints, I applied deep conditioner that morning, went to a meeting under a wig, and then went to the salon that evening. She washed (the massages are GREAT!!), rollerset, sat me under a dryer until my hair was dry and bouncy, and then blowdried it straight. I asked her to wrap it (no flat iron) and went on my merry way. The results are below!

Again, I stress that there is nothing terribly wrong with getting your hair straightened if you are taking care of your hair between visits.

Attachments

• DSCN3351.jpg
    DSCN3351.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN3376.jpg
    DSCN3376.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 17

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I've never known a Dominican salon to do a rollerset, blowout and then flat iron. They usually rollerset & blow out the hair OR rollerset & flatiron. I would not recommend a rollerset, blowout and then a flatiron.

I typically get a rollerset & just have the roots blown out with the roundbrush.

:blush: My profile pic was rollerset, blown, cut (to correct a crappy cut by another dominican salon the previous week) and flat ironed. That was the last time direct heat was applied to my hair so, it depends on the salon.

Gotta say, it looked and felt fabulous and my hair didn't suffer but, I think my hair has learned how to survive abusive and negligent care thanks to my years of ignorance. I knew it couldn't be good but, so many friends seemed to grow their hair using Dominican salons. But now that I know better, uh uh :nono:. That is TOO much heat. I would just go for the roller set.