DRY HAIR

TRYING2GROW

HELLO LHCF,

I AM NEW TO THE FORUM. I HAVE BEEN READING THE DISCUSSION BOARDS FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS. MY HAIR HAS REALLY IMPROVED, BUT IT'S NEVER REALLY MOISTURIZED. I HAVE TRIED BAGGYING, AND CW. I ALSO HAVE TRIED A LOT OF DIFFERENT MOISTURIZERS. AND NOTHING SEEM TO WORK. I AM 6 WKS POST RELAXER. I CW EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS. PLEASE HELP

P.S. I REALLY HAD GIVEN UP ON HAVING LONG HAIR, UNTIL SEEING THE LADIES ON THIS SITE...

Tenejita10473

WELCOME! :) I am natural and it is very difficult to keep my hair moisturized. I use S curl moisturizer and I also use 10 en 1 (a dominican product) recently I have used the latter as a leave in- not too much of it. And that did wonders.

Good luck.

RabiaElaine

Are you natural or relaxed?

If you are relaxed what type of relaxer do you use (lye or no lye)?

Have you tried clarifying?

You might want to read sistaslick's article/post about moisturizing hair. That has changed my hair tremendously. Basically she recommends using a waterbased moisturizer on the hair and then sealing it with an oil. This has worked for me and countless other women on the board.

TRYING2GROW

THANKS EVERYONE,

I AM RELAXED WITH WILLIE MARROW RELAXER(NO LYE). I HAVE ONLY USED THIS RELAXER ONCE. AND I NOTICE THAT IT HELP IMPROVE MY MOISTURE LEVEL. I CLARIFY EVERY TWO WEEKS. WHAT INGR. DOES A WATER BASE MOISTURIZER HAVE.

RabiaElaine

TRYING2GROW said:
THANKS EVERYONE,

I AM RELAXED WITH WILLIE MARROW RELAXER(NO LYE). I HAVE ONLY USED THIS RELAXER ONCE. AND I NOTICE THAT IT HELP IMPROVE MY MOISTURE LEVEL. I CLARIFY EVERY TWO WEEKS. WHAT INGR. DOES A WATER BASE MOISTURIZER HAVE.

I've never heard of that relaxer brand so I can't comment on that. I can say that some women (including me) feel that No lye relaxers dry the hair out because they leave calcium deposits on the hair shaft. But you say that you feel your moisture level has improved so that might not be the case.

Every 2 weeks might be too much for clarifying. Maybe try cutting down to 1x per month or every 5-6 weeks. When you do clarify make sure you let a moisturizing conditioner sit in your hair for an hour.

Also if you are doing too many protein treatments that could be a culprit of your dry hair as well. Protein is good for you, but too much of it can cause dry brittle hair.

JazzyDez

Okay so CW every few days is great, but, are you DEEP CONDITIONING? that is an absolute must, every week if you can with a quality deep conditioner like Nexxus Humectress, or ORS Replenishing Pak. Also, not sure how you are drying your hair but its definately not a good idea to blowdry every couple of days after the CW's either.:)

For me, switching from no-lye to lye relaxers along with deep conditioning every week really improved the health my hair. I had been using no-lye for years. Changing the mositurizing products I use to ones not containing Petroleum or Mineral Oil as the first ingredients helped because they do a much better job of moisturizing my hair and not just sitting on my hair.

S-Curl is not greasy, but it moisturizes wonderfully. You dont need to soak your hair with it just a few spritzes will be fine.

sareca

I have chronically dry hair too. My hair hates to be too clean. I pre-poo then co-wash whenever I'm having issues. That and only using diluted poo make a big difference for me.

bravenewgirl87

Well, are you baggying the right way? If you're not sure, here's a tutorialhclikhere.
Have you tried moisturizing your hair when it is slightly damp? i used to suffer from horribly dry hair, until I started moisturizing my damp hair. It just seemed like the product, esp. heavy butters, just seemed to absorb so much better into my hair. Try that.

SleekandBouncy

In addition to all the great advice the other ladies have shared I would recommend not using direct heat more than 1 a week or less if possible and....drum roll please............ELUCENCE MOISTURE BALANCE CONDITIONER.
As some of you may know Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner is my baby daddy. My hair is naturally dry and it gets my hair soft and moisturized in a very real way, silicone/mineral oil free manner.

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
SleekandBouncy said:
In addition to all the great advice the other ladies have shared I would recommend not using direct heat more than 1 a week or less if possible and....drum roll please............ELUCENCE MOISTURE BALANCE CONDITIONER.
As some of you may not Elucence Moisture Balance conditioner is my baby daddy. My hair is naturally dry and it gets my hair soft and moisturized in a very real way, silicone/mineral oil free manner.

I would love to try Elucence but I do not know where to purchase this.

PinkPebbles

RabiaElaine said:
I've never heard of that relaxer brand so I can't comment on that. I can say that some women (including me) feel that No lye relaxers dry the hair out because they leave calcium deposits on the hair shaft. But you say that you feel your moisture level has improved so that might not be the case.

Every 2 weeks might be too much for clarifying. Maybe try cutting down to 1x per month or every 5-6 weeks. When you do clarify make sure you let a moisturizing conditioner sit in your hair for an hour.

Also if you are doing too many protein treatments that could be a culprit of your dry hair as well. Protein is good for you, but too much of it can cause dry brittle hair.

Excellent advice! My hair use to be super dry until I switched my relaxer to lye. I use porosity control before my deep condition- once a week with a mositurizing conditioner (Joico) and a mositurizing leave in...Huge improvement.

Last edited:

locabouthair

are you sealing in the moisture with an oil? for some people, myself included, moisturizing without sealing doesnt allow the moisture to stay in. and the hair dries out soon after you moisturize it.

ChocoKitty

Sorry for the late reply... But all of the ladies have provided you with some great suggestions. I'd like to add one more thing... Honey is an excellent moisturizer. Add a bit to your favorite deep conditioner. I use Lekair Cholesterol and makes a noticible difference. Plus, I always apply my deep conditioner to dry hair. Hope you find what works for you! :)

BrooklynSouth

TRYING2GROW said:
HELLO LHCF,

I AM NEW TO THE FORUM. I HAVE BEEN READING THE DISCUSSION BOARDS FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS. MY HAIR HAS REALLY IMPROVED, BUT IT'S NEVER REALLY MOISTURIZED. I HAVE TRIED BAGGYING, AND CW. I ALSO HAVE TRIED A LOT OF DIFFERENT MOISTURIZERS. AND NOTHING SEEM TO WORK. I AM 6 WKS POST RELAXER. I CW EVERY COUPLE OF DAYS. PLEASE HELP

P.S. I REALLY HAD GIVEN UP ON HAVING LONG HAIR, UNTIL SEEING THE LADIES ON THIS SITE...

So.........what are:confused: the names of the products you have used besides the Marrow relaxer?

TRYING2GROW

I AM A PRODUCT JUNKIE. BUT, SOME I USE REGULARLY ARE: ELASTA QP DPC, MISS KEY 10 EN 1, PC,AND CHOLESEROL AS CONDITIONERS. MINE DAILY MOISTURIZERS ARE: SILCONE MIX, BB OIL, AND A TONE. OILS: COCONUT, ALMA, OLIVER, ANDCASTRO. I THINK SOME OF MY PRODUCTS DON'T MIX. I AM CURRENTLY TRYING TO USE EVERYTING UP. I TRY TO HENNA ABOUT EVERY TWO WKS.