Hair breaking and shedding when wet!

NewlyNature12

bluefolli said:
MTG on my wet hair is a sure guarantee for breakage even if I treat my hair delicately and use some of my proven products. Are you applying your MTG on wet hair?

Really? I thought that the best way to apply MTG was on wet hair...don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was sure that was the correct way.

devin

no, no problem. i thought it was the best way too, that's why i applied it that way. well, i guess it's like they always say, "what works for one, doesn't work for everybody!"

Camille429 said:
Really? I thought that the best way to apply MTG was on wet hair...don't mean to hijack the thread, but I was sure that was the correct way.

devin

i think it is getting better(fingers crossed). i stopped cw, bc it was too much manipulation of my hair especially 10 wks post. also i noticed that using vaseline on my hair and putting the baggie on was too much moisture and making my ends turn to mush. so my hair seems to feel better and is not shedding as much and i don't see as much breaking since i stopped those two things. i also use light protein wkly(keraphix) followed by a dc. i moisturize daily. so in time, hopefully my hair will be really strong, i also plan to add vitamins to my regimen next week.

tishee said:
this happens to my hair also devin. honestly, I don't know what I am doing wrong though.

bluefolli

I think it works differently on everyone's hair. I tried it wet and was disappointed with my hair. I layer with Surge then MTG after my hair has air dried. Even when I don't Surge, I still apply the MTG on dried hair. There was a thread about how everyone uses MTG...I have to find it. When I do, I will bump it.

Camille429 said:

devin

okay thanks!:)

bluefolli said:
I think it works differently on everyone's hair. I tried it wet and was disappointed with my hair. I layer with Surge then MTG after my hair has air dried. Even when I don't Surge, I still apply the MTG on dried hair. There was a thread about how everyone uses MTG...I have to find it. When I do, I will bump it.

Divine Inspiration

I agree with Faith and lauren450. I think it's protein overload. If you've just done a MEGA protein (ApHOGEE) and you're doing protein every week (Keraphix), you hair is probably breaking in those little pieces b/c it's brittle and the excessive protein has made it hard. I know everyone's hair has a different protein tolerance, but I definitely think that's more than the average head needs.

I would lay off of the protein for a 2 0r 3 weeks and just do moisturizing deep conditions aimed at restoring elasticity and upping the moisture content of your hair.
After that, you could opt to resume Keraphix every other week and see how things went. It's always been my observation that most hair either needs the heavy duty protein every 6-8 weeks or light protein more frequently (every week/every other week), but not both.

I've used ApHOGEE twice, and after the first time, I had planned to make apart of my regimen, but I really did not need mega protein b/c 1) my hair was not damaged and 2) I LOOOOOOVE Keraphix and do it every other week. So I know that ApHOGEE would have resulted in brittleness over time b/c it just really wasn't necessary.

I think leaving the Vaseline off the ends is probably a smart move on your part. I would try something like Moist Ends from Redken's Clear Moisture line or maybe WGO. Do you seal your ends after each poo/CW? I've found that sealing those suckers up with a serum & creamy leave-in keeps my ends from being frizzy and splitting.

HTH

{DI}

devin

yes, i do seal my ends. i ues biolage leave-in to detangle, and ntm silk touch and then i seal w/ WGO or NTM healing shine hair serum. so if i lay off of the keraphix, is it okay to dc w/ kenra moisturizing con. and silicon mix? thank you very much for your reply!:)

Divine Inspiration said:
I agree with Faith and lauren450. I think it's protein overload. If you've just done a MEGA protein (ApHOGEE) and you're doing protein every week (Keraphix), you hair is probably breaking in those little pieces b/c it's brittle and the excessive protein has made it hard. I know everyone's hair has a different protein tolerance, but I definitely think that's more than the average head needs.

I would lay off of the protein for a 2 0r 3 weeks and just do moisturizing deep conditions aimed at restoring elasticity and upping the moisture content of your hair.
After that, you could opt to resume Keraphix every other week and see how things went. It's always been my observation that most hair either needs the heavy duty protein every 6-8 weeks or light protein more frequently (every week/every other week), but not both.

I've used ApHOGEE twice, and after the first time, I had planned to make apart of my regimen, but I really did not need mega protein b/c 1) my hair was not damaged and 2) I LOOOOOOVE Keraphix and do it every other week. So I know that ApHOGEE would have resulted in brittleness over time b/c it just really wasn't necessary.

I think leaving the Vaseline off the ends is probably a smart move on your part. I would try something like Moist Ends from Redken's Clear Moisture line or maybe WGO. Do you seal your ends after each poo/CW? I've found that sealing those suckers up with a serum & creamy leave-in keeps my ends from being frizzy and splitting.

HTH

{DI}

Last edited:

syze6

My hair was breaking just like that. It was frustrating because I am used to shedding whole stings, not breakeage. I noticed it after my relaxer while blow drying. I had pieces of all sizes coming out. I had used the CPR and afterward I applied the Infusium leave in.

This wash I used the CPR and sat under the drier for 15 minutes. I rinsed and omitted the Infusium. I use is for the sole purpose of detangling. I've found it's the only thing that helps me comb through my hair. When I didn't use that also, I noticed less breakage. I think it was too much protein.I couldn't comb through my hair before without pieces everywhere.

I'll deep condition this weekend with the mayonnaise conditioner. I told myself not to worry, you lose about 100 strands a day. I'm sure among the 100, those nasty broken strands will shed too!:-0)

devin

thanks! i am going to omit protein for the next two wks and just use moisture, like was suggested to me. hopefully this will help!

syze6 said:
My hair was breaking just like that. It was frustrating because I am used to shedding whole stings, not breakeage. I noticed it after my relaxer while blow drying. I had pieces of all sizes coming out. I had used the CPR and afterward I applied the Infusium leave in.

This wash I used the CPR and sat under the drier for 15 minutes. I rinsed and omitted the Infusium. I use is for the sole purpose of detangling. I've found it's the only thing that helps me comb through my hair. When I didn't use that also, I noticed less breakage. I think it was too much protein.I couldn't comb through my hair before without pieces everywhere.

I'll deep condition this weekend with the mayonnaise conditioner. I told myself not to worry, you lose about 100 strands a day. I'm sure among the 100, those nasty broken strands will shed too!:-0)

Southernbella.

Divine Inspiration said:

Now I know that's exactly what it was for me! I deep con'd twice this week with a moisturizing con, and I had probably 2 broken hairs each time during detangling, and normal shedding. I think I made a mistake in that I was so excited about all the stuff I was learning, I wanted to try it all. I forgot rule #1, "Everything doesn't work for everyone". I see now that I don't need a lot of protein, but I do need LOTS of moisture.

Divine Inspiration

lauren450 said:
Now I know that's exactly what it was for me! I deep con'd twice this week with a moisturizing con, and I had probably 2 broken hairs each time during detangling, and normal shedding. I think I made a mistake in that I was so excited about all the stuff I was learning, I wanted to try it all. I forgot rule #1, "Everything doesn't work for everyone". I see now that I don't need a lot of protein, but I do need LOTS of moisture.

Smart lady! ;)