Hair breaking and shedding when wet!

devin

I have been doing my haircare routine for about three weeks now and I am two days shy of 9 weeks post relaxer. I pre-poo with evoo 2x's/wk, cw 2x's/wk, poo and dc 1x/wk, mtg 3x's/wk, and have used aphogee damaged hair treatment about three weeks ago. When I cw and wash my hair i am seeing lots of broken hairs and shedding hairs maybe dime size to quarter size from my ponytail in my hands even if i handle it gently. I have been doing protective styles for the last three weeks and keeping it moisturized. What am I doing wrong? Can someone help me out with my routine, I really don't know anything about hair and am using all the wonderful tips from this board! TIA!:)

Last edited:

Elizabeth26

I have the same problems when i'm conditioning my hair and styling after I finish towel drying. I think that air drying my hair has cause some of the breakage especially after your new growth becomes unmanageable. I'm like almost 11 weeks post now. I'm going to do a CW tonight but I will be using heat because my new growth is becoming difficult to deal with. The only thing I have been doing about this problem is keeping my hair moisturize, using light protein treatments, and heavy duty treatment every 5 to 6 weeks. It takes time and patience.

HoneyDew

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!

It was after Aphogee. I deep condition EVERY time I wash, which is every 2 or 3 days. After 3 or 4 deep conditions, I notice that it stopped when I washed this past saturday.

I mixed several conditioners and used the Porosity Control.

I am washing again tonight so I am curious to see if I see it again. If not, the deep conditions cured it.

devin

thank you very much!:) i know i haven't been doing my regimen too long and was wondering if i am being too hasty and should just give my hair time to adjust. i also do light protein wkly with nexxus keraphix, i am trying to wait 12 wks for a relaxer. maybe i will blowdry and see if that helps.

Liz25_Ga said:
I have the same problems when i'm conditioning my hair and styling after I finish towel drying. I think that air drying my hair has cause some of the breakage especially after your new growth becomes unmanageable. I'm like almost 11 weeks post now. I'm going to do a CW tonight but I will be using heat because my new growth is becoming difficult to deal with. The only thing I have been doing about this problem is keeping my hair moisturize, using light protein treatments, and heavy duty treatment every 5 to 6 weeks. It takes time and patience.

Victorian

old head
Are you new to using olive oil in your hair? I ask because evoo is one of the first new things I tried when I joined the board and it makes me shed like crazy. No evoo for me.

If you've used it before with no problem then it must be something else. It could just be too much manipulation, if you're detangling after every wash when you are 9 weeks post relaxer. Or it may be a particular product you're using. Shampoos and conditioners are not all created equal.

OT: We have the same first name! :)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

When I tried the CWing thing it didn't do me no good, I began getting more shedding than before, so I cut that out, and learned to wash my hair in sections, actually 2. Since then the shedding is like 3-4 hairs and I fingercomb my hair first then w/a shower comb before rinsing the poo and after my DC rinse all while undr running water. So I'm on a roll now, try process of elimination your hair may not like something in your routine, especially if it doesn't tapper off in a few wks..
devin said:
thank you very much!:) i know i haven't been doing my regimen too long and was wondering if i am being too hasty and should just give my hair time to adjust. i also do light protein wkly with nexxus keraphix, i am trying to wait 12 wks for a relaxer. maybe i will blowdry and see if that helps.

devin

yes i am new to using olive oil. i use kenra ms and mc, and pantene pro v relaxed and natural for colored hair for cw. that is so cool that we have the same first name! that is not a common name, especially for ladies!

BlackCardinal said:
Are you new to using olive oil in your hair? I ask because evoo is one of the first new things I tried when I joined the board and it makes me shed like crazy. No evoo for me.

If you've used it before with no problem then it must be something else. It could just be too much manipulation, if you're detangling after every wash when you are 9 weeks post relaxer. Or it may be a particular product you're using. Shampoos and conditioners are not all created equal.

OT: We have the same first name! :)

Last edited:

devin

okay i will definitely try process of elimination. i have introduced a lot of new things to my hair. i will eliminate one thing at a time to see if i can't find the culprit! thanks a lot!

BeautifulWideEyes said:
When I tried the CWing thing it didn't do me no good, I began getting more shedding than before, so I cut that out, and learned to wash my hair in sections, actually 2. Since then the shedding is like 3-4 hairs and I fingercomb my hair first then w/a shower comb before rinsing the poo and after my DC rinse all while undr running water. So I'm on a roll now, try process of elimination your hair may not like something in your routine, especially if it doesn't tapper off in a few wks..

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

No problem and make sure to DC after every protein treatment even the keraphix, to make sue you have the right balance of moisture and protein.
devin said:
okay i will definitely try process of elimination. i have introduced a lot of new things to my hair. i will eliminate on thing at a time to see if i can't find the culprit! thanks a lot!

mohair

I have the same problem when I air dry. I just picked up some Thermasilk Straight and Smooth Leave-in Cream by Helene Curtis and it is working some magic on my hair right now. It has given me some slip and manageability. My hair actually feels soft. It was only $2.88 at eckerds. I CW and airdryed on Sunday and my hair has been extremely dry and brittle since. I use NTM and shea butter. Nothing was helping, but this really seems tobe working.

devin

i was dc once a wk, but this wk i have increased it to twice a wk. i will have to incorporate the porosity control as well, bc i was only using it once a month. thank you!

HoneyDew said:
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!

It was after Aphogee. I deep condition EVERY time I wash, which is every 2 or 3 days. After 3 or 4 deep conditions, I notice that it stopped when I washed this past saturday.

I mixed several conditioners and used the Porosity Control.

I am washing again tonight so I am curious to see if I see it again. If not, the deep conditions cured it.

devin

do you use it on your hair when wet and let it airdry? i have ntm silk touch leave-in.

mohair said:
I have the same problem when I air dry. I just picked up some Thermasilk Straight and Smooth Leave-in Cream by Helene Curtis and it is working some magic on my hair right now. It has given me some slip and manageability. My hair actually feels soft. It was only $2.88 at eckerds. I CW and airdryed on Sunday and my hair has been extremely dry and brittle since. I use NTM and shea butter. Nothing was helping, but this really seems tobe working.

mohair

I just used the Thermasilk on my dry and brittle airdryed hair and it immediately softened and became manageable. I put the NTM Healing Shine Serum on my ends.

devin

okay thank you, i might have to give that a try. i am already a pj, so why not!:)

mohair said:
I just used the Thermasilk on my dry and brittle airdryed hair and it immediately softened and became manageable. I put the NTM Healing Shine Serum on my ends.

devin

yes i do dc after every protein treatment. thanks!

BeautifulWideEyes said:
No problem and make sure to DC after every protein treatment even the keraphix, to make sue you have the right balance of moisture and protein.

HoneyDew

mohair said:

I may have to try that, as well. I heard that it was pretty good. I am having this same problem. I seem to have decreased my breakage bigtime, but I still see a little.

shalom

Devin, the culprit might be because you have colored treated hair, colored hair is hard to care for and if you don't condition it properly you'll lose hair.

I cw/everyday (no poo) Suave Honey and Coconut mixed with Creme of Nature Conditioner for colored hair. As a leave-in I use hair mayonaise. Since using this regimen I barely have breakage.

devin

yeah i try to make sure to keep it well moisturized. i am letting the color grow out and have not had color in my hair since around march or april. thank you!

shalom said:
Devin, the culprit might be because you have colored treated hair, colored hair is hard to care for and if you don't condition it properly you'll lose hair.

I cw/everyday (no poo) Suave Honey and Coconut mixed with Creme of Nature Conditioner for colored hair. As a leave-in I use hair mayonaise. Since using this regimen I barely have breakage.

Southernbella.

I have been having the same problem. I think protein may be the culprit, so I wil be eliminating that for awhile and using only extra moisturing conditioners. Hang in there! I know how much it sucks to have your hair start doing weird things when you KNOW you're taking care of it.

devin

yes it is frustrating! but i know it is a process and it does take time. so if you don't use protein which is supposed to strengthen your hair, then what do you use for strength, especially after relaxers?

lauren450 said:
I have been having the same problem. I think protein may be the culprit, so I wil be eliminating that for awhile and using only extra moisturing conditioners. Hang in there! I know how much it sucks to have your hair start doing weird things when you KNOW you're taking care of it.

Southernbella.

Good question! I wonder too. This is what I was doing...I did a Keraphix reconstructor, then every week after that, I used Mane and Tail extra moisturizing conditioner, thinking the moisture would balance out the protein. I think I just had TOO much in my regimen.

From here on out, I'm going to do a Keraphix reconstructor 2 weeks before and two weeks after my relaxer. In between, I'll use extra moisturizing cons with no protein. Hopefully that will give me a good balance.

I'm new to this whole thing, so this is all totally trial and error for me!

devin

well girl i hope we can figure it out. your hair is beautiful!:)

lauren450 said:
Good question! I wonder too. This is what I was doing...I did a Keraphix reconstructor, then every week after that, I used Mane and Tail extra moisturizing conditioner, thinking the moisture would balance out the protein. I think I just had TOO much in my regimen.

From here on out, I'm going to do a Keraphix reconstructor 2 weeks before and two weeks after my relaxer. In between, I'll use extra moisturizing cons with no protein. Hopefully that will give me a good balance.

I'm new to this whole thing, so this is all totally trial and error for me!

Whisper

Experienced this problem over here!
I tried the Organics leave-In liquid Hair Mayonnaise, and it has helped curb the breakage.

czyfaith77

Did you deep condition after Aphoghee Treatment for Damaged Hair (BTW I love this stuff)? If you did not, then this may be the problem. Aphoghee TDH is a heavy protein. Protein has the tendency to harden your hair if you do not place the moisture back in. I usually follow up a treatment with LeKair's Cholesterol Conditioner (The orange container) with some type of oil. You can use EVOO if you like in it. I use the Aphoghee EFA oil mixed in mine. When the hair is dry (air dried or blown dried) I use the Aphoghee Balancing Moisturiser (The directions on the bottle says to rinse it out but I have found that it works very nice as a leave in or like a regular hairdressing. It is sort of like Nexxus Humetress butto me much better, without the hardness, the glaze-look on the hair, it makes the hair feel better, its cheaper, and can be found at most BSS.) It sounds like your hair may just have to adjust to the protein but doing this should help you. :) Be encouraged!

devin said:
I have been doing my haircare routine for about three weeks now and I am two days shy of 9 weeks post relaxer. I pre-poo with evoo 2x's/wk, cw 2x's/wk, poo and dc 1x/wk, mtg 3x's/wk, and have used aphogee damaged hair treatment about three weeks ago. When I cw and wash my hair i am seeing lots of broken hairs and shedding hairs maybe dime size to quarter size from my ponytail in my hands even if i handle it gently. I have been doing protective styles for the last three weeks and keeping it moisturized. What am I doing wrong? Can someone help me out with my routine, I really don't know anything about hair and am using all the wonderful tips from this board! TIA!:)

devin

yes i did dc after the aphogee treatment. i have been using evoo as pre-poo treatment overnight then cw in the morning on mon. and wed. and then i do regular poo, protein treatment and dc on fridays. i moisturize my scalp with mtg or wgo, and use ntm silk touch leave-in and ntm healing shine serum. i also saturate my ponytail with vaseline day and night and cover with a sanwich bag for protective styling(maybe i have too much moisture, b/c it seems that only my ponytail is breaking and shedding horribly). yeah i might have to adjust. thanks a lot!:D

czyfaith77 said:
Did you deep condition after Aphoghee Treatment for Damaged Hair (BTW I love this stuff)? If you did not, then this may be the problem. Aphoghee TDH is a heavy protein. Protein has the tendency to harden your hair if you do not place the moisture back in. I usually follow up a treatment with LeKair's Cholesterol Conditioner (The orange container) with some type of oil. You can use EVOO if you like in it. I use the Aphoghee EFA oil mixed in mine. When the hair is dry (air dried or blown dried) I use the Aphoghee Balancing Moisturiser (The directions on the bottle says to rinse it out but I have found that it works very nice as a leave in or like a regular hairdressing. It is sort of like Nexxus Humetress butto me much better, without the hardness, the glaze-look on the hair, it makes the hair feel better, its cheaper, and can be found at most BSS.) It sounds like your hair may just have to adjust to the protein but doing this should help you. :) Be encouraged!

Last edited:

blazingthru

After 8 weeks, I am now having breakage only in my upper back, I work with a former hairdresser and she told me that I need to stop combing my hair when its dry since I am transitioning. she told me to only comb it when its wet, I just started getting breakage this week. so today I will cw and roll it up and try to finger comb it in the AM. I don't have tight coils so it doesn't bother me to comb my hair I haven't notice a lot of growth in the two months so I didnt' know I was putting a lot of tension in my hair by combing it. I really just want to chop it off and start a new but I'm to afraid.

devin

yeah my hair from my ends is just coming out in my hands. i am nervous i don't know what to do. i stopped using the vaseline on my ends, b/c that seemed like when the problem started and i may just stop cw twice a wk and just do the regular wash once a week.

Trudy said:
After 8 weeks, I am now having breakage only in my upper back, I work with a former hairdresser and she told me that I need to stop combing my hair when its dry since I am transitioning. she told me to only comb it when its wet, I just started getting breakage this week. so today I will cw and roll it up and try to finger comb it in the AM. I don't have tight coils so it doesn't bother me to comb my hair I haven't notice a lot of growth in the two months so I didnt' know I was putting a lot of tension in my hair by combing it. I really just want to chop it off and start a new but I'm to afraid.

Faith

lauren450 said:
That is exactly it. I was going to say this..lol. I was having this issue until I realized I had only been conditioning with Motions Silk Protein Conditioner and basically no mositurizing conditioners. So what I started doing was hot oil treatments and went back to moisturizing conditioners mostly with the occasional protein one thrown in. Or maybe do the mild protein one BUT follow it with a MC. And now I don't have short little pieces anymore.

Last edited:

bluefolli

MTG on my wet hair is a sure guarantee for breakage even if I treat my hair delicately and use some of my proven products. Are you applying your MTG on wet hair?

devin

yes i apply to my hair while it is wet, only on Friday's when I wash. On Monday's and Wednesday's my hair is dry when I apply it.

bluefolli said:
MTG on my wet hair is a sure guarantee for breakage even if I treat my hair delicately and use some of my proven products. Are you applying your MTG on wet hair?