Extremely dry, hard to cornrow 4c natural hair

Endlesslegs

Hey guys! wondering if you can help please.

I've had natural hair for ages now but over the past year or so I have been struggling with dryness and hard to cornrow hair. I've spent the WHOLE day today detangling my hair before and after washing it, and it took me nearly an hour to do three cornrows so I've given up on the other half. I'm so mad! :(

My strands seem to just hug themselves and are akin to velcro, any attempt to cornrow or detangle means breakage and my bathroom floor is covered with hair right now! Im just fed up, have any other 4b/4c natural heads had this problem and over come it? My hair is definitely not a 4b, it is 4c and with high porosity (another baffling point since I rarely manipulate my hair)

My regimen is the usual moisture and protein balance. I wear protective styles a lot so my hair is often twisted up underneath my wigs (too hard to cornrow my hair argh!) I've got a headache from attempting to cornrow my hair and I've got dinner in an hour and Im SOOO frustrated! Any tips/pointers will be useful.:sad::sad:

Adiatasha

Ok. 4c girl hair right here *wave* So you shampooed, conditioned your hair then .............. What? Are you attempting to cornrow while your hair is wet, air dried, blow dried? Are you detangling in sections? Are you using a wide tooth comb? Are you using a product when your detangling?

When is the last time you got a trim?

Endlesslegs

Ok. 4c girl hair right here *wave* So you shampooed, conditioned your hair then .............. What? Are you attempting to cornrow while your hair is wet, air dried, blow dried? Are you detangling in sections? Are you using a wide tooth comb? Are you using a product when your detangling?

Hey! I didnt want to write an essay/rant so apologies for being sparse on the details! :lol: here goes.

So I had shampooed my hair, done an ACV rinse, then deep conditioned with an egg/conditioner/honey mix because I have been due some protein. once that was out I applied my leave in mixed with some jojoba oil and started to cornrow. No lies - within 5 minutes my hair felt rock dry. Which shouldn't be the case since I'd literally just deep conditioned :sad: I tried to keep going with the corn rows but it got too tedious and I gave up. I am currently flopped on my sofa in exhaustion and no where near ready for dinner in 45 minutes. what a joke.:sad::sad:

Endlesslegs

Last trim was the last time I battled my hair - in December 2013

Pompous Blue

Hey! I didnt want to write an essay/rant so apologies for being sparse on the details! :lol: here goes.

So I had shampooed my hair, done an ACV rinse, then deep conditioned with an egg/conditioner/honey mix because I have been due some protein. once that was out I applied my leave in mixed with some jojoba oil and started to cornrow. No lies - within 5 minutes my hair felt rock dry. Which shouldn't be the case since I'd literally just deep conditioned :sad: I tried to keep going with the corn rows but it got too tedious and I gave up. I am currently flopped on my sofa in exhaustion and no where near ready for dinner in 45 minutes. what a joke.:sad::sad:
Hello, there.

I'm a 4C, natural, too. I learned a long time ago to apply a VERY GOOD moisturizing conditioner after ANY protein treatment and steam for 20 or more minutes (I have a steamer.) If I didn't, I imagine my hair would perform just like your hair.

I also do oil rinses which help greatly with moisture retention and detangling.

After this I apply my leave-ins (cream and oil) and then styling product, if desired.

I HTH.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I agree with Pompous. A protein conditioner makes my hair quite difficult to detangle if not followed by something moisturizing.

I also suggest a blow dry or some means of stretching your hair before tackling cornrows. Idk if you're opposed to heat, but there's no way I'd be attempting to cornrow my shrunken hair. Blowdry is a quick solution, but banding or braiding the hair is also an option.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Endlesslegs

Hello, there.

I'm a 4C, natural, too. I learned a long time ago to apply a VERY GOOD moisturizing conditioner after ANY protein treatment and steam for 20 or more minutes (I have a steamer.) If I didn't, I imagine my hair would perform just like your hair.

I also do oil rinses which help greatly with moisture retention and detangling.

After this I apply my leave-ins (cream and oil) and then styling product, if desired.

I HTH.

Thank you! I did consider the moisturising deep conditioner but figured the honey in the mix would help with moisture. I will be purchasing a steamer shortly.

Which moisturising conditioners would you recommend please? I find that some of the holy grails for the other hair textures dont do anything for my hair :-/

Endlesslegs

I agree with Pompous. A protein conditioner makes my hair quite difficult to detangle if not followed by something moisturizing.

I also suggest a blow dry or some means of stretching your hair before tackling cornrows. Idk if you're opposed to heat, but there's no way I'd be attempting to cornrow my shrunken hair. Blowdry is a quick solution, but banding or braiding the hair is also an option.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thank you Rocky! Im not that opposed to heat although I need a new blow dryer. But even when I used to blow dryer it would take me a very long time to blow dry because my hair just used to stick together even if I had already detangled it before starting the drying session :sad:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I agree with the others. I never do protein without a very moisturizing conditioner afterwards. My hair loves protein too.

Also stretch your hair before the cornrows. Try a tension blowdry medium heat on 60% dry hair, twists or banding are great for stretching too.

Sent from my Snow White Frost Galaxy S4

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
ITA about the moisturizing conditioner after protein and stretching your hair before cornrowing
I'm 4c too and my holy grail conditioning mix is aubrey organics honeysuckle rose mixed with desert essence coconut conditioner and a tablespoon or two of raw honey. If you add a steamer it will take the moisture to a new level

Ann0804

I would recommend overnight deep conditioning, frequent co washing, doing the LOC method twice a day (morning and night), oil rinsing, finger detangling, washing and styling hair in 6 sections.

Like everyone else has said- a light blow dry would help. I would only go for 70 percent dry since blow drying makes my hair dry.

Some deep conditioner treatments that I like for my 4c hair- Darcy's pumpkin seed, jessicurl deep conditioning treatment, and curl junkie curl rehab on dry hair or as a leave-in.

Last edited:

JC Jane

I agree with EVERYTHING Ann0804 has posed above. Also you may want to add a teaspoon of ACV in your leave-in before sealing and drying until damp. My hair is very porous and my new growth behaves like velcro, also, unless I use a very moisturizing deep con after any protein.

Pompous Blue

Thank you! I did consider the moisturising deep conditioner but figured the honey in the mix would help with moisture. I will be purchasing a steamer shortly.

Which moisturising conditioners would you recommend please? I find that some of the holy grails for the other hair textures dont do anything for my hair :-/
Endlesslegs

Same here about the holy grails.

I use to put honey in my DC but I didn't see where it provided any additional moisture to my hair so I stopped adding it.

My holy grail DCs are (in no particular order):

Karen’s Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask
Darcy’s Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner
Anitagrant.com’s Rhassoul Deep Conditioner
PhytoKarite mask

They have always provided soft, moisturized, sleek, and supple hair whether I use steam or not. And I don't have to add extra ingredients to boost their performance.

Also, I always buy them on sales that are 20% to 50% off.

Adiatasha

ITA about the moisturizing conditioner after protein and stretching your hair before cornrowing I'm 4c too and my holy grail conditioning mix is aubrey organics honeysuckle rose mixed with desert essence coconut conditioner and a tablespoon or two of raw honey. If you add a steamer it will take the moisture to a new level

Co sign on Aubrey organics.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Blowdry it before you braid. Our hair type does well when its stretched. Trust me on this. Use a good heat protectant and blow it out. Itll be easier to manipulate and moisturize

Hibiscus30

I agree with others. I had to learn the hard way about protein and being a follower of others' regimen. When doing a protein tx I now always do a moisturizing conditioner. I away my hair to air dry about 50-75% Then I blow dry on med to stretch my hair...

My hair responds well to Darcy Botanical Conditioning Mask and Pumpkin Seed Conditioner (use it as a leave in too) Karen Body Luscious Mask, MyHoneyChild Hair Mask and Type 4 cream. I just tried Aphogee Curlific texture treatment and I really like thus stuff (only used once)

Endlesslegs

ITA about the moisturizing conditioner after protein and stretching your hair before cornrowing I'm 4c too and my holy grail conditioning mix is aubrey organics honeysuckle rose mixed with desert essence coconut conditioner and a tablespoon or two of raw honey. If you add a steamer it will take the moisture to a new level

Thank you foxglove. I'm buying a heutiful steamer as we speak? And I'll also be getting the honeysuckle rose. I've tried that in the past and remember it being really good. It's hard to get where I am but I'll pick it up when I'm in the states next month.

Endlesslegs

I would recommend overnight deep conditioning, frequent co washing, doing the LOC method twice a day (morning and night), oil rinsing, finger detangling, washing and styling hair in 6 sections. Like everyone else has said- a light blow dry would help. I would only go for 70 percent dry since blow drying makes my hair dry. Some deep conditioner treatments that I like for my 4c hair- Darcy's pumpkin seed, jessicurl deep conditioning treatment, and curl junkie curl rehab on dry hair or as a leave-in.

Thank you! I've found that overnight conditioning makes my scalp itch like a crazy person and sometimes I scratch so hard I get breakage. I'll incorporate your tips :) I watch 4c heads on YouTube and I'm always so baffled as to how quickly they seem to be able to detangle even without heat. I guess that might not be the best route for me.

ckisland

OP, do you wash, detangle, and dry in twisted or braided sections?? I know that keeping your hair stretched during the entire process is one of those things crucial to avoiding velcro hair. I'm not 4c, but if I wanted to do something like flattwists, my hair could not be allowed to just dry loose while I worked on another section. Just no :lol:

healthyhair2

My hair is 4c in certain parts of my head. I have found that Hairveda Sitrinillah, Oyin Honey Hemp, Nexxus Humectress , Brocato Curlinterrupted smoothing and hydrating Treatment, and Suave Almond and Shea Conditioner are some condishes that work for me. I oil rinse, but apply it using a bottle with a pointed tip. I put my regular conditioner on, apply the warmed oil near my roots, then work the two together ,before putting on my plastic cap. I use heat for 45 minutes. After letting this mixture cool on my hair, I rinse with warm water. A shot of cold water for 10 seconds on my head seems to almost keep me from losing any more of the moisture that is left from the conditioner.

Endlesslegs

Thank you guys, deep conditioning with honey and tressemme salon silk as I type. No aubrey organics and the other recommendations where I am, Im going to London tomorrow so I'll pick them up there. Also bought myself a hair dryer today. Wish me luck! :)

Pompous Blue

Thank you guys, deep conditioning with honey and tressemme salon silk as I type. No aubrey organics and the other recommendations where I am, Im going to London tomorrow so I'll pick them up there. Also bought myself a hair dryer today. Wish me luck! :)
@Endlesslegs Wishing you good luck! I know your hair will recover with these changes.
Good luck. The 4c struggle is real #theydontknow
@Prettymetty You're right! It is VERY REAL!

SunRai Naturals

I went through the same thing excluding the breakage when trying to cornrow my hair a few years ago. I was only using the comb end to make my parts and then I was finger detangling the rest and it took forever because my hair naturally tangles from root to tip.

Then I just happened to use Vo5 moisture milks conditioner and noticed how much slip it provided for my hair. So I started using it when cornrowing my hair and it was a LIFESAVER!! It provided so much slip and I was able to do my hair so much faster with less tangling. I use it to help me part my sections and then once I'm braiding I will put more on (especially on the ends) as needed. If I come across a tangle, then I'll put more on and it melts it. When using it this way, I don't rinse it out and haven't had any issues at all. I would try using conditioners with slip to help you braid before you blow dry because over time depending on your hair strands it can be damaging.