Is this girl's hair what you consider 4b or is it 4c?

dany06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87NvfbZPB8U

Im just curious because I've been confused between these two. In most pictures I've seen describing 4b and 4c the 4b either looks just like a smaller version of 4a or the same as the 4c samples.

Also, how would anyone address this girl's dry hair look? I too have the same matte off black almost dark brown color that just looks so dry.

BlackMasterPiece

Wow some of the things she said in that video was WAY off..... "Black people hair needs oil so we can only wash once every 2 weeks":rolleyes:, then she proceeds to put like only a quarter size of conditioner in the childs hair....when she should be saturating it with it, then she proceeds to comb the childs hair with a skinny tooth comb that she's referring to as an afro comb or wide tooth comb....I couldn't even finish watching that lmao she does have "some" good tips but they're overshadowed by the inaccuracies.....anywho back to your question.....its hard to tell what her texture is but she appears to be 4b theres never a true closeup though so you cant really tell

AmyRose92

It looks like 4b kind of hair. But...two things I kinda noticed in the video that made me a little suspicious on what she was saying:
1. Because our hair dries out easily, we need to wash it every two weeks: I was seriously expecting her to say several times a week, but every two weeks?
2. At 2:40, she says that that is a wide tooth comb. I'm sorry but I don't consider that a wide tooth comb. It looks like a regular comb to me.

AmyRose92

Wow some of the things she said in that video was WAY off..... "Black people hair needs oil so we can only wash once every 2 weeks":rolleyes:, then she proceeds to put like only a quarter size of conditioner in the childs hair....when she should be saturating it with it, then she proceeds to comb the childs hair with a skinny tooth comb that she's referring to as an afro comb or wide tooth comb....I couldn't even finish watching that lmao she does have "some" good tips but they're overshadowed by the inaccuracies.....anywho back to your question.....its hard to tell what her texture is but she appears to be 4b theres never a true closeup though so you cant really tell

Yup yup yup that's exactly what I was saying. lol This means that I'm learning! :grin:

kandake

"Black people hair needs oil so we can only wash once every 2 weeks":rolleyes:

I remember hearing that a lot growing up. It was also coupled with "white people have an overproduction of natural oils and that's why they have to wash everyday"

ETA: Her daughter has pretty hair though. The video reminds of the days I would go to the salon to have my hair blow dried and pressed.

Last edited:

dany06

Oh, I too think that a lot of her tips are misinformed. I know you cant say for sure, but you do think that her hair looks more 4b? Ok then. Well, would you address the dry look of her hair. She even used Jane Carter nourish and shine and that didn't do anything. I though nourish and shine is suppose to make your hair bling with sheen.

Thann

Her hair looks 4b to me as well. As far as the reggie..it wasn't bad imo. I've heard some here who use similar techniques. To each their own.

sharifeh

I remember hearing that a lot growing up. It was also coupled with "white people have an overproduction of natural oils and that's why they have to wash everyday"

ya and that's not even true about whites either.
They just overuse the sulfate shampoos so they strip their hair so their hair gets oilier faster. So they get the itchies and they end up washing everyday, but they really shouldn't have to either.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
How many inches of new growth did ol girl have under them micros? Like 2?:blush:

Anyway, I would say 4b.

kandake

Oh, I forgot there was a question. :giggle: I have no idea what texture she is, but I would like to know. That's how my hair looked when I was younger.

Jazala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87NvfbZPB8U

Im just curious because I've been confused between these two. In most pictures I've seen describing 4b and 4c the 4b either looks just like a smaller version of 4a or the same as the 4c samples.

Also, how would anyone address this girl's dry hair look? I too have the same matte off black almost dark brown color that just looks so dry.

What is 4c? I never saw a 4c in the Andre system. What typing system uses 4c?

Nonie

Oh, I too think that a lot of her tips are misinformed. I know you cant say for sure, but you do think that her hair looks more 4b? Ok then. Well, would you address the dry look of her hair. She even used Jane Carter nourish and shine and that didn't do anything. I though nourish and shine is suppose to make your hair bling with sheen.

Curly/coily hair doesn't reflect light the way straight hair does, and the kinkier (tighter) the coils the less light it will reflect so the more dull it will look compared to other larger/looser coils. You usually cannot get the same bling from 4B hair as you can from other hair types.

This is my hair with S Curl on it:

This is my hair just wet but without any product:

This is my hair in a stretched afro puff (I had used MyHoneyChild's Type 4 DC not knowing it wasn't a leave-in :giggle: and coconut oil; maybe if I'd just used coconut oil alone it'd have had more sheen in the flat part--notice how much duller the afro looks compared to the flat part:

This is my hair just out of Curlformers with no product in it, but because it's been stretched smooth and then formed into bigger curls, it reflects light better and shines:

This is my hair flat-ironed w/o any product *clutches her pearls*; you can see some light bouncing off it:

And this is my flat-ironed hair with John Frieda Anti-Frizz Serum (the heat protectant one):

Same hair 3 days later--I didn't apply any other product after that serum but my hair still reflects light better and shines coz it's straight:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have the exact same comb. I like it. She may have the old school thought about washing hair every 2 weeks, but she is doing something right because her daughter's hair looks great. :yep:

Nonie

What is 4c? I never saw a 4c in the Andre system. What typing system uses 4c?

I don't think there's such a thing as 4C. I think what happens is people get used to seeing 4B in its manipulated state where it appears to have no pattern and because it is always manipulated, they swear it doesn't have a pattern, and at first agree with Andre's dumb definition of "no pattern hair". But then when they start to see people with coils like me calling their hair 4B, then they think that they have to be in another category then and invent 4C when really they just haven't allowed their hair to reveal itself to them. I know that until I started DCing and ACV rinsing, my hair always looked like this:

It appeared not to have any pattern and fitted Andre's definition. But when I stopped using products and started DCing, I first saw my hair form these coils at the ends of my twists and that was without any curl activating product:

And when I next washed and conditioned my hair, to my surprise 4B does have a pattern! Cute little spirals that look like pen springs. It just so easily tangles that you'd be crazy to leave it in a way that keeps the pattern. So most times, 4B hair will look like this:

But if stripped of all product and deep conditioned so it's moisturized and soft and if it isn't heat damaged and then not manipulated into a stretched-out style as with braids, 4B hair looks like this close up:

Here's another post I wrote that shows how interesting 4B hair is and why some people transition seeing tiny coils in their growth then later get frustrated/disappointed(?) to find they have the so-called "no pattern" hair: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=9726402

Last edited:

LadyRaider

Okay. I know I'm not a 4b. My hair is nothing like that girl's hair. It was beautiful. I want an afro puff in the worst way. She has a LOT of hair too. DANG!

I wonder if that's where the myth black people having short hair comes from? Our hair when it's in its shrunken state?

Last edited:

Nonie

Okay. I know I'm not a 4b. My hair is nothing like that girl's hair. It was beautiful. I want an afro puff in the worst way. She has a LOT of hair too. DANG!

I wonder if that's wear the myth black people having short hair comes from? Our hair when it's in it's shrunken state?

I don't think it's just coz of shrinkage. It's also because it is fragile and the tiny coils don't help if you don't know that it has to be handle with TLC. When I first discovered that my hair had coils, it suddenly made sense to me that the only safe way to comb it is to stretch it out with one hand and thus open up the coils so a comb can glide through easily. I do this with conditioner on. Kinda like how you see me do in this vid. I don't do each with each comb stroke but that's only because I know it's fully detangled.

If you can picture several pen springs bunched up together and imagine them interlocking (spooning each other :giggle: ) and then imagine sticking a comb into the base of the springs and trying to lift it through. Can you just picture the hell you're about to cause? Not only do you then cause the parts above the comb to compress into closed springs as you try to pull the comb through, but if the springs are really wrapped around each other, you will not be able to get the comb through without yanking out the "knot" and thus breaking the springs.

So lack of knowledge on how to handle 4B hair and too much wrong manipulation (combing dry) causes it to break at the rate it is growing so that people swear it never grows. That is why sometimes the only way some people will actually see length is when they stop some manipulation, by wearing braids or all manipulation by growing locs.

Last edited:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I never thought Andre's system was too hard to follow so I would say she is a 4b. Even though the mom isn't using "LHCF approved methods", obviously what she's doing is working.

Slightly OT: I want a yellow bird dryer.

Last edited:

RENIBELL

Lovely hair, dont know what type it is though, but i was thinking if she always gets it blowdried, looks like it hasnt caused her any heat damage, something to consider for those of us that cant airy dry

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I say 4b.

I disagree with some of the things she said. But Mom is doing something right. Her childs hair looks healthy, and she has not slapped a relaxer in it

ycj1

Everyone does have their own method of doing natural hair as a member said here, but if you take a really good look at the video that child's hair is really thick! Even in the front where most damage occurs first! her mother being a professional definitely knows what she is doing with her daughter's hair! No doubt! But I must admit me being a shampooer of two wks at a time is not a good practice to follow. (Which I don't any longer) btw. I just wanted to add that her practices are obviously working on her daughter's hair for it to be as thick and heavy as it is.

The only thing I would do different is to add more cond. in and with my hair (only speaking of me personally) I would have to oil my scalp after the blow drying! Just me!

JJamiah

I'd say 4b as well and her hair is absolutely beautiful. I don't agree with all she said. She used enough conditioner as she said to do the same all around the head in similar sections, I personally don't saturate my strands with conditioner I make sure to apply enough and then smooth it through with my hands and followed by a comb. She didn't do to bad in my opinion, I'd wash more frequently.

My son has 4a hair and is terribly tender headed and I feel bad when he cry's when I comb. I should show him that video that it is his right to passage, LOL. My son would be like mom,:whyme:

jamoca5

Like a lot of people said on here, some of the things the woman said, I was like, "Eh?" but her daughter's hair is BEAUTIFUL. I'm not good at hair typing by any means, so I'll just hop on the bandwagon and say 4b.